DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Subwoofer Questions

Old 12-26-00, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I have an Onkyo TXDS-484 Dolby Digital and DTS reciever and an 8" Powered Sub. The sub has the line input which I connected using the included cable to the subwoofer preout of the reciever. The cable is somewhat thin and I'm wondering if I got a thicker(say a 75 ohm video cable) cable if the bass response would be any better(it's not bad but if I can improve it that simply I'll definately do it). Also, there are no High and Lo Pass filters on the sub(as there are on my car amp that poweres my car sub.) What determines what frequencies get sent to the sub? I'm guessing it has something to do with the speaker setup on the reciever. Am I correct? Lastly, can anyone reccomend a good learning remote? The one that comes with the 484 is pretty bad(it'll only control other onkyo devices). Thanks

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre
Old 12-26-00, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A 75 OHM cable couldn't hurt. The thickenes of an RCA is not important unless you are getting interference from power cables or something. A thicker one will just be shielded better than a thin one and may hold up better over time.

The LFE crossover is in the receiver and is probably fixed on that receiver between 80-100HZ.

There is also a high pass crossover in the setup menu so you could select "small" or "large" speakers. Small crosses over at about 100HZ and below for small speakers. Large setting alows full bandwidth.

Try:
www.remotecentral.com for info on remotes
Old 12-27-00, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jumbojp:
A 75 OHM cable couldn't hurt. The thickenes of an RCA is not important unless you are getting interference from power cables or something. A thicker one will just be shielded better than a thin one and may hold up better over time.

The LFE crossover is in the receiver and is probably fixed on that receiver between 80-100HZ.

There is also a high pass crossover in the setup menu so you could select "small" or "large" speakers. Small crosses over at about 100HZ and below for small speakers. Large setting alows full bandwidth.

Try:
www.remotecentral.com for info on remotes
<HR>

great thanks for the help!

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre