Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Calibration Device???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Calibration Device???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-00, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In another thread, electonix-kid said,

"As for setup, go to RadioShack, and get yourself a SPL meter. This is very handy for a HT'er, because this lets you accurately CALIBRATE your HT, so all the speakers sound the same. You would also want to buy AVIA, or VIDEO ESSENTIALS, which will guide you and help you calibrate your WHOLE SYSTEM (Audio and Video)."

Tell me more about an SPL meter, AVIA, or VIDEO ESSENTIALS? What do they do, and why should I use them?

Scott

(PS: I just went to Home Theatre Forum for a look, and I can't believe that Ronald Egomaniac. Talk about control freaks! Can he spell jay eee are kay?)
Old 12-26-00, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

???eater forum is a cool place but I only post there when necessary. Alot of people there are somewhat elitist and don't understand budgets and such. Anyhow, to your question, a SPL meter is a device used for measuring Sound Pressure(as the name indicates). In a home theater situation, it is used for setting the proper decibel levels for your speakers(along with the test tones on Avia or VE). They cost about 30 bucks at radio shack.

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre

[This message has been edited by dfbennett (edited December 26, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by dfbennett (edited December 26, 2000).]
Old 12-26-00, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, dfbennett. So I go to the nearest RS and I purchase an SPL meter, and I measure the sound pressure levels. But what does that tell me? What am I calibrating for? My tuner/receiver allows me to set the relative level for each set of speakers, so I can hear more rear, more front, more center, or more sub. But what's the optimal configuration?

(BTW, I wasn't commenting on the good folks that post on HTF, just the puffed rantings of the "owner". He appears to be saying, "you can post any opinion on any subject, as long as it matches my opinion, and my own opinion of myself is far greater than the common man can conceive". Nuff said.)

Scott
Old 12-26-00, 06:42 PM

it should be the same for all five speakers.
Old 12-26-00, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When you use the SPL meter, you want to measure the sound emminating from each speaker individually. You want to adjustthe volume levels so that you get the same measurement from each speaker where you are standing. If you move your listening position, you will get different measurements, and this will happen no matter what. So you will want to adjust your speakers for the position you will be listening from the most, or try to get a "sweet spot" area in the middle. I would use the test tones (pink noise) from your receiver to calibrate the speakers, this will make them the same and does not depend on the source (DVD player).

If you do a search for SPL meter, there are a couple of threads I believe that go into detail on what I have stated above.
Old 12-26-00, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scott:
Thanks for the quick reply, dfbennett. So I go to the nearest RS and I purchase an SPL meter, and I measure the sound pressure levels. But what does that tell me? What am I calibrating for? My tuner/receiver allows me to set the relative level for each set of speakers, so I can hear more rear, more front, more center, or more sub. But what's the optimal configuration?

(BTW, I wasn't commenting on the good folks that post on HTF, just the puffed rantings of the "owner". He appears to be saying, "you can post any opinion on any subject, as long as it matches my opinion, and my own opinion of myself is far greater than the common man can conceive". Nuff said.)

Scott
<HR>

On the subject of the HTF...the fact is, it is a private forum, and you can say whatever you like...as long as they approve. Why? Because it's theirs to do what they want with, same as DVD Talk. If you post something Geoff disapproves of, it'll be removed and you could be warned/banned... whatever. The fact is, we are guests in someone else's house when we participate in the forums and should abide by their wishes.
I have nothing but positive experiences with the HTF, and the wealth of info availbile is second to none.
On the subject of using an SPL meter: reference volume level is 85db, and all speakers should be matched to this level. Some may find this too loud, depending on your environment (and possibly neigbors opinion's pf your playback level), so it is considered within reason to calibrate to 75db. Whatever level you set it at, make sure all speakers are matched, as this is critical to proper playback the way the soundtrack was mixed.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Miami Dolphins: AFC Champs 2000.
Old 12-27-00, 09:43 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your assistance. I'll give that a try, and "hear" what happens.

[Okay, one last thing about HTF, and then I'll shut up. I participate in several forums, and I moderate one. Never before have I observed an announcement as puffed up as the recent one by Ronald Egocentric. Yes, there are rules of conduct in every forum, as in every form of social communication, but to start off one's experience with a negative list of "don't do this, or you can't play with me" rubbed me the wrong way. Truly nuff said.]