Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kidnap (2017, D: Prieto) S: Halle Berry

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 06:51 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4-hqw84tW80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A typical afternoon in the park turns into a nightmare for single mom Karla Dyson (Academy Award winner Halle Berry) when her son suddenly disappears. Without a cell phone and knowing she has no time to wait for police help, Karla jumps in her own car and sets off in pursuit of the kidnappers. A relentless, edge-of-your seat chase ensues, where Karla must risk everything to not lose sight of her son. In this tense, action-fueled thriller, directed by Luis Prieto and from the producers of SALT and TRANSFORMERS, one mother's heroic attempt to take back her son leads her to ask herself how far she will go to save her child.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1458169/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kidnap_2017

For those that want to see a movie even worse than The Dark Tower this weekend!

This was supposed to come out two years ago. It is one of the scraps left behind in Relativity's bankruptcy.
Old 08-03-17, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Kidnap (2017, D: Prieto) S: Halle Berry

Halle Berry has as much credibility as Nic Cage these days. This should have been a Lifetime Channel feature film... I'd never see this.
Old 08-03-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Stuckmann gave it a D but said it was entertainingly bad. So bad.
Old 08-03-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Was this shelved for a while? I swear I remember seeing previews for this a good while back.
Old 08-03-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Was this shelved for a while? I swear I remember seeing previews for this a good while back.
Yeah, they filmed it in late 2014.
Old 08-03-17, 11:19 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Read the first post.
Old 08-03-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I actually did see this already.

I saw this a few weeks ago at one of those free screenings.

Anyways, I was entertained by it like Stuckmann even though it's definitely not a good movie.

To make a long story short, it's basically an R rated Lifetime movie of the week. Like most Lifetime movies (I've seen my fair share) It puts a female heroine in peril/danger.

I'll break down my thoughts into pluses and minuses:

Pluses:

Liked Halle Berry. She did the best she could with a not so great script.

Had some pretty intense car chase sequences and crashes.

Had some 24-like intensity. Found quite a few scenes pretty riveting.

Minuses:

Terrible villains. Since I know no one in this forum is actually going to see it in theaters, I'll reveal it anyways. The villains were white trash child kidnappers/traffickers. They revealed at the end that Halle's kid was just one of multiple kids kidnapped by these white trash villains.

Really choppy editing.

It was really ridiculous how Halle caused so many traffic accidents and supposed injuries/deaths in her pursuit of the kidnappers, yet there was no active law enforcement pursuit to stop the whole thing and arrest her.

As Stuckmann said, the ending was stupid with a radio/TV voice over recap of what happened as the camera pans out after the cops come to the final scene.

Some really bad and cliched lines.

Overall I'd give this a C.

It's not the worst movie I've ever seen. Although if you're one of those who really has no patience or time to to watch what is essentially a DTV/Lifetime movie, then this is definitely not for you.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-03-17 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-03-17, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Terrible villains. Since I know no one in this forum is actually going to see it in theaters, I'll reveal it anyways. The villains were white trash child kidnappers/traffickers. They revealed at the end that Halle's kid was just one of multiple kids kidnapped by these white trash villains.
I had a feeling that was the direction this film was going in, as it is hinted at pretty heavily in the part of the Trailer that has Berry visiting a Police Station. The jump cuts in the Trailer show all the different Missing Posters of different children.
Old 08-04-17, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I saw the first 30 minutes of this on my break today. It was amusingly terrible.
Old 10-31-17, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Lots of laughable moments but ultimately horrible. I think Halle Berry gave a better performance in Catwoman. Not hard to see why this sat on shelves for three years (in part though due to the financial woes of Relativity Entertainment). 1.0/5
Old 09-03-22, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Just saw this and I thought it was intense, but I liked “The Call” better.

Though I will give credit when it’s due - the stunt work for this movie is fantastic. Seriously, the car chase damage scenes didn’t even hint at CGI and looked really good. The car chase camera work was excellent, more realistic than flashy (ie: Matrix Reloaded too flashy during the car chase)