Stargate: Origins -- 10 episode prequel digital series

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-21-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://tvline.com/2017/07/20/stargat...rine-langford/

MGM will explore Stargate Origins, as a means of launching its dedicated digital platform and fan experience, called Stargate Command.

MGM’s first premium digital series will follow a young Catherine Langford (played on SG-1 by Elizabeth Hoffman) as she embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness. This 10-episode event series, produced by MGM’s Digital Group and entertainment studio New Form, will be directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan and written by Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry.
Casting for the live-action series is underway, with filming expected to begin in August.

“We’ve been eager to revisit the Stargate franchise, and create an all-new story that honors the founding mythos and gives loyal fans more mystery and adventure,” said Kevin Conroy, President of Digital & New Platforms at MGM, in a statement. “We view Stargate Origins as a ‘thank you’ to fans who have been keeping the spirit of the franchise alive for nearly 25 years.

Teaser:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pnaEUhfMUKQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like this may be the platform that will be distributing the series. Looks like it's yet another streaming service that most here won't subscribe to.

http://stargatecommand.co/

Here's more details about this series and it's distribution plans:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/star...ow-1202501988/

“We’ve been eager to revisit the ‘Stargate’ franchise, and create an all-new story that honors the founding mythos and gives loyal fans more mystery and adventure,” said Kevin Conroy, president of digital and new platforms at MGM. “We view ‘Stargate Origins’ as a thank you to fans who have been keeping the spirit of the franchise alive for nearly 25 years. With the increasing popularity of digitally native content that can be streamed to any device, MGM is committed to the production of premium linear mid-form content and are proud to launch with ‘Stargate Origins.’”

Stargate Command will have both free and paid elements, and MGM is expected to release more info about the platform in the coming weeks. The service will give fans access to the most comprehensive collection of content related to the franchise that has ever been offered, as well as community hubs and behind-the-scenes content related to “Origins.” No word yet on what film and TV content from the “Stargate” franchise will be available on Stargate Command. During the heyday of “Stargate” on TV, the TV franchise racked up 380 episodes during across almost 20 seasons of TV with shows including “Stargate SG-1,” “Stargate Atlantis,” and “Stargate Universe.”

“We saw a need for a definitive hub for the ‘Stargate’ fanbase to continue to enjoy news and content, both old and new,” commented Chris Ottinger, president of worldwide television distribution and acquisitions at MGM. “Stargate Command will open a new door for the community to celebrate and interact with all content in a way that has never been done before.”

“We couldn’t be more excited about our partnership with MGM and their trust in us as a leading digital-first studio to deliver the next compelling chapter of this fantastic ‘Stargate’ franchise,” added New Form COO JC Cangilla.

The news was announced at San Diego Comic-Con on Thursday, as fans celebrated the 20th anniversary of the debut of the TV series “Stargate SG-1.”

I like the idea of this show. However, we are so over-saturated with streaming services right now. Most people just don't have the time or income to keep spending money on stuff like this. This is going to be a really hard sell to get subscribers. Most people, especially in this forum, barely have time to watch Netflix and OTA TV.
Old 07-21-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Stargate: Origins -- 10 episode prequel digital series

Looks like MGM is trying to copy CBS in using an exclusive sci-fi series to lock people to their streaming platform. I'm not convinced that it's going to work for CBS and I'm certain it won't work for MGM.
Old 07-21-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

So, this is a prequel to SG-1, what are the odds it will be better than SG-1, since the follow-ons, Atlantis and Universe, went downhill pretty sharply (he asks facetiously)
Old 07-21-17, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Streaming platform built around Stargate? Is this really what the fans want? Star Trek, sure, Star Wars, yeah, but Stargate?
Old 07-21-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

So I have to subscribe to MGM to see Stargate, DC's service for Young Justice and Uverse for Mr. Mercedes? Fuck all these different platforms. I'm ready for them all to die.

As for the show, it sounds promising but it looks like I'll never see it.
Old 07-21-17, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So I have to subscribe to MGM to see Stargate, DC's service for Young Justice and Uverse for Mr. Mercedes? Fuck all these different platforms. I'm ready for them all to die.

As for the show, it sounds promising but it looks like I'll never see it.
This is why piracy is bigger than ever.

What equates to a 100min movie isn't much of a "show". I can't see how they're building a whole streaming service around this.
Old 07-21-17, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk God

The official Stargate site Gateworld.com had some more details about these episodes.

Apparently they will be 10 minutes each.

So it's basically a 1 hour 40 minute movie chopped up.
Old 07-21-17, 10:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
The official Stargate site Gateworld.com had some more details about these episodes.

I thought I said that?
Old 07-21-17, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Eric F
I thought I said that?
Yeah I guess you did.

It sounds to me from reading the official press release they're going to build this around the old back catalogue of Stargate shows. Like SG-1, Atlantis, and probably even SG-U

That's thousands of hours of content right there. Wouldn't surprise me if MGM eventually pulls all the Stargate shows from Hulu once their deal expires.
Old 07-22-17, 02:52 AM
Banned

Yeah I guess you did.

It sounds to me from reading the official press release they're going to build this around the old back catalogue of Stargate shows. Like SG-1, Atlantis, and probably even SG-U

That's thousands of hours of content right there. Wouldn't surprise me if MGM eventually pulls all the Stargate shows from Hulu once their deal expires.
All the fans have seen it multiple times and probably own it on multiple forms of media (DVD, Blu, etc). I highly doubt they're going to pay to stream it.

While Stargate is popular, it's nowhere near as popular as either Trek or Wars. This is doomed to fail.
Old 07-22-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

I'll wait till the whole thing is put back together and shows up on Netflix.
Old 10-29-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Maybe it was the first promo, but I thought this was animated - apparently not!

Does look neat, and the theme reminds me how great this franchise can be.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/28/16565038/stargate-origins-command-first-behind-the-scenes-featurette-watch
Old 12-20-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Old 12-20-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Well, I love Stargate, but the production values don't look that great in that teaser. Also, I like the sci-fi aspect of it, and I just don't see how they can explore that very much in a prequel where they don't even activate the gate.
Old 12-20-17, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
I like the sci-fi aspect of it, and I just don't see how they can explore that very much in a prequel where they don't even activate the gate.
You would think but I swear I saw the silvery light of an active gate early in the preview. I’m not signing up for another streaming service. At some point a line must be drawn (unless they resurrect U and reconsider saving Dark Matter &#128512.
Old 02-01-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Full trailer today. This just keeps looking worse and worse. The best-looking scenes are the gate being discovered, which, I'm pretty sure, are taken from the movie.
Old 02-01-18, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Eh, I'll still give it a shot. Looks like it has a lot of Raiders of the Lost Ark influence.
Old 02-01-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, I'll still watch it. I've watched everything Stargate, even the Infinity animated series. I'm just not encouraged at all by what I've seen.
Old 02-01-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Not going to lie - trailer looked worse than the behind the scenes feature. Looks like a low budget fan film. If it pops up on Netflix or Amazon I’ll watch one day, but I’m not buying their service.
Old 02-03-18, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe they started a streaming service just for Stargate shows. It's weird, like creating a streaming service just for Friends and Joey.
Old 02-03-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Tough crowd. Looks pretty good to me. Much more interesting than Universe.
Old 02-03-18, 06:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a sucker for Stargate so want to watch it but I am not getting another online service for one show.
Old 02-03-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

At least if they saved Dark Matter, it would be two shows to build around. This looks more like the Librarians then SG-1. Pretty soon the over the top services are going to match the number of cable channels.
Old 02-04-18, 12:12 AM
Banned

Looks like shit. I'm in!
Old 02-22-18, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone watched this yet? 5 episodes are already available. 2 more to be released next week, and the final 3 the week after that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.