TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Confederate (HBO) - From the Producers of Game of Thrones -- Ordered to Series

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Confederate (HBO) - From the Producers of Game of Thrones -- Ordered to Series

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/07/con...m-game-of.html

HBO ANNOUNCES CONFEDERATE, A NEW DRAMA SERIES CREATED BY DAVID BENIOFF AND D.B. WEISS

Series Will Be Executive Produced And Written By David Benioff And D.B. Weiss; Nichelle Tramble Spellman, Malcolm Spellman, Carolyn Strauss And Bernadette Caulfield Will Also Executive Produce

“Game of Thrones” creators/showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will return to HBO with their new original series CONFEDERATE, it was announced today by Casey Bloys, president, HBO Programming.

CONFEDERATE chronicles the events leading to the Third American Civil War. The series takes place in an alternate timeline, where the southern states have successfully seceded from the Union, giving rise to a nation in which slavery remains legal and has evolved into a modern institution. The story follows a broad swath of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zone — freedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate and the families of people in their thrall.

“As the brilliant ‘Game of Thrones’ winds down to its final season, we are thrilled to be able to continue our relationship with Dan and David, knowing that any subject they take on will result in a unique and ambitious series,” said Bloys. “Their intelligent, wry and visually stunning approach to storytelling has a way of engaging an audience and taking them on an unforgettable journey. CONFEDERATE promises to be no exception, and we are honored to be adding the talented team of Nichelle and Malcolm Spellman to the mix.”

“We have discussed CONFEDERATE for years, originally as a concept for a feature film,” add Benioff and Weiss. “But our experience on ‘Thrones’ has convinced us that no one provides a bigger, better storytelling canvas than HBO. There won’t be dragons or White Walkers in this series, but we are creating a world, and we couldn’t imagine better partners in world-building than Nichelle and Malcolm, who have impressed us for a long time with their wit, their imagination and their Scrabble-playing skills.”

CONFEDERATE will be written and created by Benioff and Weiss, who will also serve as showrunners on the series. Partnering with them as executive producers and writers on the series will be Nichelle Tramble Spellman (“Justified,” “The Good Wife”) and Malcolm Spellman (“Empire,” the forthcoming “Foxy Brown”). Carolyn Strauss (“Game of Thrones”) and Bernadette Caulfield (“Game of Thrones,” “Big Love”) will also join as executive producers.

Production will begin following the final season of “Game of Thrones.”

Surprised to see Weiss and Benioff jump to a new series right away after GOT ends. My guess is this airs in 2019 or even 2020.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-19-17 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts
Re: Confederate (HBO) - From the Producers of Game of Thrones -- Ordered to Series

I can't wait for the toothless meth heads here in the south to complete misunderstand this show.
Old 07-19-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Confederate (HBO) - From the Producers of Game of Thrones -- Ordered to Series

Sounds like it won't even air until 2020.
Old 07-19-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I wonder how this will play into the bullshit "The slavery issue in the South was on the verge of working itself out before the Northern oppression" theory.
Old 07-19-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fascinating premise and I'll definitely watch. D&D will have to tread a fine line though to minimize any potential controversies. The complaints about GoT and its treatment of women will be nothing compared to what could happen with Confederate.
Old 07-19-17, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I can't wait for the toothless meth heads here in the south to complete misunderstand this show.
None of my toothless methhead acquaintances care about HBO.

They're too busy cooking, breaking into cars for loose change, and falling asleep at the Burger King drive-thru window.

Just can't get them interested in conversations about cable shows at all. It's frustrating.
Old 07-19-17, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Sounds great. I'm in
Old 07-19-17, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Fascinating premise and I'll definitely watch. D&D will have to tread a fine line though to minimize any potential controversies. The complaints about GoT and its treatment of women will be nothing compared to what could happen with Confederate.
It will be amusing to see if HBO treads carefully with the content considering the no-holds-barred approach it and other cable channels take toward other social issues in their original programming and comedy specials.

It will also be interesting to see how they deal with industrialization that would appear to make slavery obsolete or even financially counter-productive.

If successful, the show will undoubtedly lead to a DC/Marvel bidding war for this property:

Old 07-19-17, 06:17 PM
Banned

Hopefully, D&D will cast a descendant of Grey Worm. And reserve a guest slot for Sam Jackson to reprise his Django character.

Oh, and be sure to have an Ed Sheeran cameo thrown in for good measure. Maybe he can play Stephen Foster's hit-making great-great-great-great-great grandson.

Last edited by creekdipper; 07-19-17 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It sounds similar to the Confederate States of America mockumentary, which was just recently added to Hulu.
Old 07-20-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

In.
Old 07-20-17, 01:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Seems similar in theme to Man in the High Castle and Handmaid's Tale.
Old 07-20-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Yup. I have no doubt many will take negative depiction of their deeply held beliefs personally. But of course, claiming otherwise the whole time. Kinda like how people claim not to be racists, but never fail to post the "all lives matter" perspective in any thread concerning racism.

I would definitely watch this eventually if turns out to be as good as Westworld supposedly is. Can't wait for that to come out on BD.
Old 07-20-17, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Kinda like how people claim not to be racists, but never fail to post the "all lives matter" perspective in any thread concerning racism.
Or those who think they are claiming the racial moral high ground by weaving racial accusations into every conversation about race.
Old 07-20-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Seems similar in theme to Man in the High Castle and Handmaid's Tale.
1st thing I thought of.
Old 07-20-17, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just the announcement of this has already stirred up a lot of controversy.
Old 07-20-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Just the announcement of this has already stirred up a lot of controversy.
Yeah, this thread is a real 180 degrees from my twitter feed, which is being inundated by people attacking the show as racist, predicting it will make heros out of the slave masters.
Old 07-20-17, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

^^^To be fair, I found myself rooting for Obergruppenführer John Smith on The Man In The High Castle... and I'm a freakin' Semite!
Old 07-20-17, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Yeah, this thread is a real 180 degrees from my twitter feed, which is being inundated by people attacking the show as racist, predicting it will make heros out of the slave masters.
My whole Twitter feed was filled with Millenials whining about boycotting HBO because of this show too. This shit is a product of their generation and the mentality that if they don't like it, then it should not be allowed on tv.

What happened to just don't watch and shut the fuck up? Social media has given rise to people stating to everyone that they will not watch a show or movie when no one asked them in the first place!
Old 07-21-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
My whole Twitter feed was filled with Millenials whining about boycotting HBO because of this show too. This shit is a product of their generation and the mentality that if they don't like it, then it should not be allowed on tv.

What happened to just don't watch and shut the fuck up? Social media has given rise to people stating to everyone that they will not watch a show or movie when no one asked them in the first place!
Oooh plleeeeassse. Blaming young folks for the modern problems, in this case not liking a show premise, is lame. Protesting things people don't agree with on TV and Film is nothing new. Bible Thumpers burning rock/negro records, Tipper Gore going after Music, Book burnings, Conservatives protesting Mappelthorpe...the list goes on. So let's not act like Millennials created this world of "I don't like your shit so I'm going to protest".

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-21-17 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-21-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Oooh plleeeeassse. Blaming young folks for the modern problems, in this case not liking a show premise, is lame. Protesting things people don't agree with on TV and Film is nothing new. Bible Thumpers burning rock/negro records, Tipper Gore going after Music, Book burnings, Conservatives protesting Mappelthorpe...the list goes on. So let's not act like Millennials created this world of "I don't like your shit so I'm going to protest".
Here is the difference, they are protesting BEFORE the show has been aired!

I remember when the Bible Thumpers tried to get Three's Company taken off the air, but they did after a few episodes and thought it was too crude to watch. Here is an example I found: In 1978, NFD asked Sears if they’d stop giving their ad money to the show, and Sears agreed. The star of the show, John Ritter, begged America to purchase twice the amount of products from businesses that stuck with “Three’s Company. That was a year after Three's Company started it's run.

I remember Tipper Gore going in front of Congress about putting a label on Heavy Metal Music, but there were already albums that her kids were listening to that she used as an example. She didn't want them banned she just wanted a label for parents to know if there was strong language, no different then a movie being Rated R.

The generation of Millenials haven't seen one episode of Confederate, not one character portrayed yet, not one trailer, and they already want the TV show banned by HBO? They are the same way at these Colleges now is if they disagree with someone politically, they don't want them to even speak or even show up.

It's totally different then before as when the Tipper Gore's and Religious Nuts complained back then, they atleast had an example to justify their position (even if I disagreed with them). There is no example of anything about Confederacy as the show hasn't even started shooting yet.

Last edited by mcnabb; 07-21-17 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-21-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

People were looking to prevent the "Last Temptation of Christ" from being screened in their area before even reviewers had seen it. Once again it seems like certain groups only respect protesters when they are the ones doing the protesting, or they agree with the message.

That said, since the description above states the show will have characters on both sides, I'm not sure where they are getting that slave drivers will be depicted as heroes. If anything I would think they would show the realities on both sides and it will be up to each viewer which side they feel represents their views. Having read enough posts here, it's clear many will once again be siding with the south because the issue "Was always about states rights, not discrimination."
Old 07-21-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey

That said, since the description above states the show will have characters on both sides, I'm not sure where they are getting that slave drivers will be depicted as heroes. If anything I would think they would show the realities on both sides and it will be up to each viewer which side they feel represents their views. Having read enough posts here, it's clear many will once again be siding with the south because the issue "Was always about states rights, not discrimination."
I agree with you on many of your points, as I just find it weird that people would go into a show with preconceived bias for either side and not look at the show for what it is: Entertainment.

To me it's all about whether its a well done show or not. I watch 'The Americans' which essentially asks you to sympathize with a Russian Couple who pose as Americans during the Cold War. It's a great show, but I don't watch it and then wish the Russians won the Cold War.
Old 07-21-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The people whining about the show are dumb. The show won't be promoting slavery or racism. It's an alternative history plot. The book Underground Airlines by Ben Winters is a bit similar. In that book, slavery is still legal in four Southern states because Lincoln was assassinated before 1861. There is sci-fi in the plot. The author of that book has a TV adaptation deal.
Old 07-21-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
The people whining about the show are dumb. The show won't be promoting slavery or racism. It's an alternative history plot. The book Underground Airlines by Ben Winters is a bit similar. In that book, slavery is still legal in four Southern states because Lincoln was assassinated before 1861. There is sci-fi in the plot. The author of that book has a TV adaptation deal.
Anything more you'd like to add, Ben?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.