Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Defiant Ones (HBO) - 4 night documentary - Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 05:43 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
The Defiant Ones (HBO) - 4 night documentary - Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qT5FeylUWO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THE DEFIANT ONES, a four-part documentary event, debuts SUNDAY, JULY 9 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT) on HBO, with parts 2, 3 and 4 debuting on successive nights, JULY 10, 11 and 12, at the same time. Director Allen Hughes ("Menace II Society") has made an unquestionably bold film about the unlikely but ultimately unbreakable bond of trust and friendship between Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine, two street-smart men from different worlds who have shaped many of the most exciting and extreme moments in recent pop culture. Allen Hughes filmed Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre with unfettered access over a three-year period in making THE DEFIANT ONES. In addition to extensive interviews with Dre and Iovine, who speak frankly about their highs and lows, the show includes interviews with such music icons as Snoop Dogg, Bruce Springsteen, Gwen Stefani, Bono, David Geffen, Eminem, Nas, Stevie Nicks, Kendrick Lamar, Ice Cube, Jon Landau, Patti Smith, Lady Gaga, Doug Morris, Tom Petty, Trent Reznor, Diddy, Alonzo Williams and will.i.am. The series also features never-before-seen footage from a multitude of recording and writing sessions with Eazy-E, JJ Fad, Stevie Nicks, N.W.A., Tom Petty, The D.O.C., Bruce Springsteen and U2, among others. Set amid many of the defining societal and cultural events of the past four decades, THE DEFIANT ONES tells the stories of two men - one black, one white - from different tough neighborhoods and their improbable partnership and surprising leading roles in a series of transformative events in contemporary culture. This revealing, compelling and often-gritty story takes place in recording studios, in humble homes, in criminal courts and in the highest corridors of corporate power. Defiance is defined as "daring or bold resistance to authority or to any opposing force." This unique and inspiring tale shows how decades of defiance and determination helped Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre build a few empires, make a series of American Dreams come true and transform two street kids into global forces to be reckoned with, here and now. The result is a master class in how to work your way up from the bottom to beyond your wildest dreams.

CREW INFORMATION:
· Allen Hughes as DIR/EP
· Andrew Kosove as EP
· Broderick Johnson as EP
· Doug Pray as EP
· Fritzi Horstman as PROD
· Gene Kirkwood as EP
· Jerry Longarzo as EP
· Laura Lancaster as EP
· Michael Lombardo as EP
· Sarah Anthony as PROD
· Steven Williams as PROD
Old 07-09-17, 12:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: The Defiant Ones (HBO) - 4 night documentary - Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre

Anyone going to watch this? Any early reviews? RT didn't have any...
Old 07-09-17, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stern's interview with Iovine was fascinating so I have to check it out.
Old 07-10-17, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Been looking forward to this for a while. I didn't realize Iovine was a music producer before he was a label head/owner.

It is getting good reviews from what I've seen. Only criticism is that Wednesday's Part 4 is mostly a promo/ad for Beats/Apple.
Old 07-10-17, 08:04 AM

Yes, it is a good and should be watched by anyone that has interest in it.
Old 07-10-17, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched episodes 1 and 2. They we're good, it's cool to see what was going on behind the scenes in Dr. Dre's career. I'm going to watching episode 3 tonight I think it's going to be focused on Death Row Records. Should be Lit!
Old 07-10-17, 10:43 AM

Ah, I didn't realize all four parts were up on HBOGO. I'm going to have to check that out.
Old 07-10-17, 07:03 PM

I watched Part 1 and it was a lean 51 minutes. Very good stuff. Dre & Tyrese doing that Facebook video and letting the cat out of the bag about the Beats sale was fucking hilarious.
Old 07-12-17, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Nice to know Dr. Dre is a big Nirvana fan.
Old 07-12-17, 04:29 AM

Have not watched Part 4 yet, but parts 2 and 3 were really entertaining and informative.
Old 07-12-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I know most about Dre's story. I had only heard Jimmy Iovine's name and knew he was a label head, but didn't know his history. Really interesting stuff. He's work with some great bands.

Looking forward to Part 4 tonight. Really great documentary.
Old 07-12-17, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

They brought back the score from the Untouchables for this.

Old 07-17-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts

Binged this over the weekend. Amazing doc. Had no idea about most of Iovine's story and how he got started. Definitely saving it on my DVR to watch again.
Old 07-17-17, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan
Binged this over the weekend. Amazing doc. Had no idea about most of Iovine's story and how he got started. Definitely saving it on my DVR to watch again.
Yeah, Allen Hughes did a really good job with this. I've always been fascinated by and a fan of Dr. Dre. I always liked most of Iovine's roster, including the Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails era, which I think could have been included even more in this if they'd done a fifth part.
Old 07-18-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I've always been fascinated by and a fan of Dr. Dre.
Not phased at all by the brutal beating he laid down on at least one woman? I say "at least" because although he talks openly now about being out of his mind and owns up to what he did to Dee Barnes, he also beat the mother of his child, Michel'le, and other women.

Newsweek - MICHEL'LE ON WHY 'STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON' DOESN'T SHOW HER BEING BEAT UP BY DR. DRE

The man is talented at the type of music he does, and he has undoubtedly been successful, but let's not whitewash exactly who we're talking about.
Old 08-08-17, 01:10 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Loved this - I only knew of Iovine from U2 on, so the early stuff was fascinating..
Old 08-09-17, 11:42 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Not phased at all by the brutal beating he laid down on at least one woman? I say "at least" because although he talks openly now about being out of his mind and owns up to what he did to Dee Barnes, he also beat the mother of his child, Michel'le, and other women.
I was happy to actually see Dee Barnes take part in this documentary. I didn't know how far they would go to address the topic, but kudos to the filmmakers for bringing her on to this to tell her side.
Old 08-09-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought this was a great documentary.

Originally Posted by MikahC
Not phased at all by the brutal beating he laid down on at least one woman?

The man is talented at the type of music he does, and he has undoubtedly been successful, but let's not whitewash exactly who we're talking about.
Not sure how anyone in this thread whitewashed Dr Dre. Seems like you are shit stirrer.
Old 08-09-17, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I was happy to actually see Dee Barnes take part in this documentary. I didn't know how far they would go to address the topic, but kudos to the filmmakers for bringing her on to this to tell her side.
Meh...she was all about the publicicty and money back then and I'm sure it's no different now. Telling when you don't file criminal charges and only a fat cash civil suit. If she really wanted justice she would have called the cops asap; not wait a while then annouce what happened along with a 10mil law suit.
Old 11-04-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

This was great. I heard the Stern interview with Iovine recently and caught all of it over the last few days. Didn’t know Iovine worked with so many people, knew most of Dre’s stuff through other docs etc.