Manhunt: Unabomber (Discovery) -- S: Sam Worthington, Paul Bettany, Chris Noth

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-08-17, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GF8RLY-3wJk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Manhunt: UNABOMBER tells the dramatic and gripping true story of the FBI's hunt for the Unabomber, the deadliest serial bomber in history. The story focuses on FBI Agent and Criminal Profiler Jim "Fitz" Fitzgerald (played by Sam Worthington of "Avatar" and "Hacksaw Ridge"), who pioneered the use of forensic linguistics to identify and ultimately capture the Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski (Paul Bettany, "Gangster No. 1," "Captain America: Civil War"). As a fresh faced Criminal Profiler and the newest member of the Unabom Task Force (UTF), Fitz faced an uphill battle not just against the Unabomber - one of the most sophisticated and brilliant criminals in history - but also against the bureaucracy of the UTF itself as his maverick ideas and new approaches were dismissed by the system.

Emmy(R) Award-winning television producer and director Greg Yaitanes ("Quarry," "Banshee") will executive produce, direct and serve as showrunner and Andrew Sodroski, whose "Holland, Michigan" topped Hollywood's famed Black List for screenplays in 2013, created the series and serves as an Executive Producer. Jim Fitzgerald will serve as Consulting Producer.

8 episode miniseries. Premieres August 1st. Just noticed the trailer and I saw some promotional billboards this week.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...wrunner-896653

This is from the director, Producer and showrunner of Banshee & Quarry Greg Yaitanes. It was originally called "Manifesto"
Old 07-08-17, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Manhunt: Unabomber (Discovery) -- S: Sam Worthington, Paul Bettany, Chris Noth

I'll watch this.
Old 07-08-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
Re: Manhunt: Unabomber (Discovery) -- S: Sam Worthington, Paul Bettany, Chris Noth

Interested ...
Old 08-01-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Re: Manhunt: Unabomber (Discovery) -- S: Sam Worthington, Paul Bettany

I've set my DVR. For 20 years I've been saying this story would make for an interesting movie - especially the dynamic between Ted and his brother who really is the conflicted hero of the tale. I don't know about an eight-episode series, though. Might be really stretching he story at that point. I'll certainly give Episode 1 a try though.
Old 08-01-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Lot's of Banshee alumni on this one (in front of and behind of the camera).
Old 08-01-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Excited for this. Love a good manhunt plot.

Cool to see Sam Worthington in this too.
Old 08-01-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI, tonight's premiere is 2 hours (2 episodes back to back)

There are a few re-airs in case you can't see it tonight.

Edit:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/640...hris-noth.html

I actually made a thread for this miniseries early last month.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-01-17 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-02-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the premiere was great. Very intense even though we all know the outcome. Reminds me of how I felt about the People vs OJ - American Crime Story show.

My only complaint is the audio mix - they have the narration, music, and sound effects all at the same level in a scene. Hard to hear the narration.

During a FBI office scene, they'll have the phone ringing sound effect to give it that "office" feel. We get it, they work in an office. You don't need a loud sound effect to prove it.

The audio mix was most annoying for me during the prison scene.
Old 08-02-17, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

It won't be up for a few hours, but the first episode will be free on VUDU (and probably other services as well) and the entire HD season will be $14.99. I might just buy it so I don't fill up my DVR or feel compelled to watch it right away...

https://www.vudu.com/movies/#!conten...omber-Season-1
Old 08-02-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

The first episodes weren't bad if you know going in that it's basically an FBI procedural.
Old 08-16-17, 06:56 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Has anyone stuck with this? If so, what do you think?

I have the episodes building up on my DVR.
Old 08-16-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Has anyone stuck with this? If so, what do you think?

I have the episodes building up on my DVR.
I watch it live, which means I'm really enjoying it. Though manhunt / fugitive plots are my favorite, so I may have bias.

Good background on the forensic linguistics process. It seems as if the creators gave this show their 100%. Doesn't seem like amateur hour.
Old 08-21-17, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

Dtv's program guide has been using the episode number lists and just episode titles off and on.
This show I have 3 eps with just a title and 2 listed as episode 3 and episode 4.
Hit play and it goes right to ep 2 since it's the first on the play list.

Felt like something was missing in the story and that's how I saw the listing gaff on my dvr.

Friggin DIRECTV.

Anyway episode 2 is as good.
I'll go to the pilot then continue with the rest of it.
Old 08-23-17, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The August 22nd episode was intense. This show doesn't have any action (and I wouldn't expect it, since it's following true events), but it really keeps me enthralled.

The acting is really good from everybody. I love how serious this show is and not some made-for-tv amateur production.
Old 09-06-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure if anyone else is still watching this, but the Sept 5th episode was intense. I still recommend this series for anyone interested in fugitive plots (fact or fiction).
Old 09-06-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

My wife and I have been watching it. It is surprisingly good.
Old 09-06-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

Same here. Great show so far. Haven't watched yesterday's episode yet but we both look forward to it.
Old 09-14-17, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great finale and excellent series overall. Discovery Channel really brought their A-game into this production.

I'm still trying to figure out if those were the real victims (and family members) near the end giving statements. Google search doesn't bring up anything about them appearing on the show.
Old 09-14-17, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't love the early episodes but when it switched from Sam Worthington being the main character to Bettany being the main character I really enjoyed it. They did a good job toeing the line without making him a sympathetic character. Worthington and Lynn Collins were too attractive for their roles.
Old 09-20-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

It was at times tedious to get through, but overall I enjoyed the series. Great performances by Worthington and Bettany.
Old 09-20-17, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI

The entire miniseries is on Netflix as of today. Quick turnaround.
Old 10-26-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

This was really good but at times it did feel like a mid 90's mini-series. I do wish they would've focused on Kaczynski more, his early bombings and process in selecting targets. I do have to question how much of a one man show it really was on the FBI side, they really do make it seem like it was one person who solved everything. There's even one part where an entire team is around looking at the pages and it's not till they all leave that Fitzgerald discovers the key evidence.
Old 12-29-20, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started watching Manhunt: Deadly Games on Netflix (about Richard Jewell)
  • I had no idea it was related to this Unabomber season 1 series until I saw it connected on Netflix.
  • I had no idea this originally premiered on Spectrum in February.
Old 03-25-24, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
Re: Manhunt (Apple TV+) - John Wilkes Booth / Lincoln limited series - premieres 3/15/24

This is unrelated except for the Manhunt title. I couldn't find a thread on it but I've been watching the Manhunt about the Unabomber from 2017 and holy cow is it good! Sam Worthington is really terrific as the lead profiler. I knew him from Avatar and that one Terminator but his work in this stands high and above. A lot of great work from the other actors too. The episode titled "Ted" is really heartbreaking and captivating. I remember the coverage at the time and the controversial decision to print the manifesto, the first crazy images after the arrest and hearing some of the details afterwards but this makes it all extremely compelling.

Last edited by philo; 03-25-24 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-26-24, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

I binged the show so it didn't feel tedious or drawn out to me at all. A shame this wasn't originally Netflix because it deserved way more acclaim and viewers.

Having just finished the last episode I liked that they highlighted the victims powerful speeches from the trial. Very well done.

Couple things I forgot to mention. The famous Unabomber sketch turning out to be a years later memory of the original sketch artist was completely new to me. That was hilarious.

I always believed it was the brother who first read the manifesto and noticed the similarities when it was his wife Linda. She truly is an unsung hero in the story.

I guess we'll always wonder what makes someone end up like he did. Ted's brother lived a similar back to nature lifestyle early on but ended up a social worker. It makes clear Ted had issues even before Harvard but that MK Ultra section is super messed up.

Hard to imagine anyone spending close time with Ted like the librarian and her kid. I know they showed him washing up in the stream but there's one description I read where the cabin had an outline on the wall from years of his body oil contacting it.

In hindsight the scene where Ted makes the wood instrument for the kids birthday only to see him get a fancy electronic keyboard might have been a tad contrived. So much I can't help imagining a parody with someone like Bill Hader or Will Ferrell.

I don't think I'll ever hear "have your cake and eat it too" (eat your cake and have it too) the same again.

The lawyer feeding Ted his sweets reminded me of a recent article about the current Montana property owner continuing to find dumped Hersheys cocoa containers amongst other cans and bottles decades later. For someone who wanted to be with nature he sure had no trouble littering the land with tons of his modern society processed trash.

Last edited by philo; 03-26-24 at 10:21 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.