Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite Superhero portrayal

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which actor had the best superhero portrayal?
Christopher Reeve as Superman/Clark Kent
57.69%
Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark/Iron Man
10.26%
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine/Logan
11.54%
Micahel Keaton as Batman/Bruce Wayne
2.56%
Christian Bale as Batman/Bruce Wayne
0%
Toeby Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
1.28%
Chris Hemsworth as Thor
1.28%
Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America
6.41%
Gal Gadot as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman
5.13%
Other
3.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-17, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Figured that this would be fun even though I feel like everyone will be voting for Downey Jr. For me though, nothing beats Chris Reeve as Superman.
Old 06-25-17, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts
Re: Favorite Superhero portrayal

Christopher Reeve as Superman gets my vote. Nicholson as the Joker gets my vote for villain.
Old 06-25-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I'm pretty sure most people will vote Christopher Reeve over Downey Jr.

I'll throw my vote out for Chris Evans as Capain America. He absolutely nails it as an innocent/naive young man trapped in a world he doesn't quite know while at the same time he's got the screen presence to realistically be a leader for The Avengers. And frankly, it's a welcome sight to see a superhero who isn't dark, brooding, or battling some sort of mommy/daddy issues.

In fact, I like Evans so much that when he leaves the franchise, I'm probably out too.
Old 06-26-17, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Eriko Sato as...

Capt Hotlink?
Old 06-26-17, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

After Logan?? Hugh Jackman in a walk.

I'll still always love Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman though.

Also, I feel like Adam West should be in this poll.
Old 06-26-17, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Reeve.

And despite the onslaught of superhero movies in the last 17 years, Superman the movie remains my favorite of the comic hero genre. It has an epic quality that is hard to match.
Old 06-26-17, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Chris Hemsworth as Thor.
He had a nice range of emotions in the first one, he physically fit the role perfectly, and he also has his funny moments.

Second would be Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman. Keaton made Bruce Wayne interesting. He didn't do the bored playboy routine, but he did capture the intensity of the character.
Old 06-26-17, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Reeve as Superman is simply iconic even though I don't feel like the movies themselves have aged the best. He's fantastic in the role. I also quite like Bale. Really good as Bruce and Batman. I feel like he gets some flack for his Batman voice but it's overall a good portrayal. Keaton is great too. I've always liked him as an actor. The only thing against him is that his Batman is a lot better than his Bruce Wayne. He's not bad but just not always the most believable Bruce. The Marvel films have overall done a good job too when it comes to casting. I think the core Avengers are all great. Particularly Downey Jr., Evans, and Hemsworth as named in the poll. They'll all be hard to replace someday.

My top pick overall though wouldn't be a live action portrayal. It's still Conroy from Batman: The Animated Series. Simply the most iconic Batman to me and still the voice I imagine while reading Batman comics. Granted I know people will say it doesn't count because it's animated but I don't really care.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-26-17 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 05:45 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Micahel and Toeby?
Old 06-26-17, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Jason David Frank as

Old 06-26-17, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do love so many of these portrayals, but RDJ as Tony Stark is so much damn fun.
Old 06-26-17, 09:26 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

RDJ was great, but Reeve was the epitome of a superhero through and through...
Old 06-26-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Reeves still beats everyone, i think Captain America comes a close 2nd to me
Old 06-26-17, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86

My top pick overall though wouldn't be a live action portrayal. It's still Conroy from Batman: The Animated Series. Simply the most iconic Batman to me and still the voice I imagine while reading Batman comics. Granted I know people will say it doesn't count because it's animated but I don't really care.
Yeah that's a good one, that cartoon is the best Batman portrayal
Old 06-26-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I cannot separate the personal experience my family had with Mr. Reeve as a child from his portrayal so while I still think he was a good Superman, the underlying disgust and hatred for his behaviour will not allow me to vote for him.

I picked Jackman because he came from nowhere and despite having none of the physicality of arguably the most popular X-Men character, totally embodied the role and blew pretty much everyone away in the internet era with even all but the most nit-picky comic nerds giving praise.

I don't think anyone doubted RDJ would be good as Tony Stark as he basically is a version of him in real life personality wise. He still managed to blow everyone away as well but for me it wasnt as unexpected as Hugh was.
Old 06-26-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

A bit of nostalgia keeps Reeve at the top of my list. For that era or Superman he captured the look/feel in an almost perfect way.

Gal Gadot sneaks in just above Rodney Downey Jr and Hugh Jackman. While RDJ knocked it out of the park right away, Jackman's Wolverine was held back by the PG13 ratings and wasn't able to be the true Wolverine until Logan. But something about Gadot's performance (even in BvS) puts her above the rest. Just the little smirk/smile on her face after she gets knocked back by Doomsday and immediately jumps back into action, just kind of hard to explain why she is so good in that role.
Old 06-26-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
I cannot separate the personal experience my family had with Mr. Reeve as a child from his portrayal so while I still think he was a good Superman, the underlying disgust and hatred for his behaviour will not allow me to vote for him.
What was your negative experience with Reeve? I guess I don't know much about him as a person or how he was with fans.
Old 06-26-17, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

For me, it's Jackman as Wolverine. No one has embodied a superhero character with more longevity and consistency, in my opinion. Even when a couple of the movies were subpar, Jackman was still all-in and charismatic in his portrayal.

My runner up would be Evans as Captain America. I'm just not that into Superman as a character, so Reeve isn't really on my radar screen.
Old 06-26-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
What was your negative experience with Reeve? I guess I don't know much about him as a person or how he was with fans.
I have posted about it here before I think and from what I have heard my experience may have been in the very small minority but it is seared into my memory so it is hard to me to excuse it.

Basically he kept a boat and summer residence in the town that my father lived in. One day my stepmother took me and my little brother grocery shopping and Chris was shopping there as well. Well as little kids ( i was probably 7 or 8 and my brother was 2 or 3) we were huge fans of course so my stepmother approached him for an autograph saying how were were big fans and couldn't believe he was here in our grocery story. He took one look at this tiny 5'1" 95 lb women with 2 little children in tow and stepped close to her with his 6'4 frame and told her right in her face as he was towering over he to "Fuck off and leave me alone!" I couldn't believe it then and I still can't. This wasn't interrupting a dinner or he was being hounded by people or we were professional autograph seekers. 2 little kids and a housewife and he was so mean and rude it forever soured all my subsequent viewings of anything he did. Now this was still pretty early in his fame so maybe he hadn't adjusted to it yet or was having a bad day but to do be able to do that to kids and a young mom is pretty shitty IMO.
Old 06-26-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

It took 8 movies for a true Wolverine from the comic books to show up, so as much as I like Hugh in the role, it was only The Wolverine and Logan that made him feel right.

Reeves was Superman/Clark Kent. Look mannerisms. Unfortunately, the movie doesn't hold up to me.

Keaton is also good, but I didn't care for absent minded Wayne when out in the public.

So I'm going with Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. Spot fucking on.
Old 06-26-17, 12:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad I voted for Robert Downey Jr. then...
Old 06-26-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Christopher Reeve as Superman easily.
Old 06-26-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I have posted about it here before I think and from what I have heard my experience may have been in the very small minority but it is seared into my memory so it is hard to me to excuse it.

Basically he kept a boat and summer residence in the town that my father lived in. One day my stepmother took me and my little brother grocery shopping and Chris was shopping there as well. Well as little kids ( i was probably 7 or 8 and my brother was 2 or 3) we were huge fans of course so my stepmother approached him for an autograph saying how were were big fans and couldn't believe he was here in our grocery story. He took one look at this tiny 5'1" 95 lb women with 2 little children in tow and stepped close to her with his 6'4 frame and told her right in her face as he was towering over he to "Fuck off and leave me alone!" I couldn't believe it then and I still can't. This wasn't interrupting a dinner or he was being hounded by people or we were professional autograph seekers. 2 little kids and a housewife and he was so mean and rude it forever soured all my subsequent viewings of anything he did. Now this was still pretty early in his fame so maybe he hadn't adjusted to it yet or was having a bad day but to do be able to do that to kids and a young mom is pretty shitty IMO.
Maybe he was rehearsing for Superman III

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6ihUga7faoU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"If I had a nickel for every time some little kid asked me for Superman's autograph."
Old 06-26-17, 01:43 PM

That's why I would never approach a celebrity, specially musicians. I'm listening to music all the time and it would be devastating to have songs being killed by douchery, the art is always better than the artist.
Celebrities are just people and most people suck
Old 06-26-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Reeve was such a shoe-in, I wonder what the poll would look like if you intentionally didn't include him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.