Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Velvet Buzzsaw (2019, D: Gilroy) S: Gyllenhaal, Russo, Collette, Malkovich -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Velvet Buzzsaw (2019, D: Gilroy) S: Gyllenhaal, Russo, Collette, Malkovich -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 01:53 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: After the compelling team-up in Nightcrawler, writer-director Dan Gilroy is plotting a new untitled film set in the art world that will reunite his stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo. Sources said Gilroy’s CAA reps are shopping the untitled film and that multiple buyers are swirling. Gilroy went from vet screenwriter to a remarkable directorial debut on the pitch black Nightcrawler, with Gyllenhaal playing the sociopath cameraman and Russo the local news producer who sells her soul for ratings.

Gilroy followed by directing his script Inner City with Denzel Washington starring for Sony. His proposed third film is very different from these, and it will likely land before week’s end. Stay tuned.

Gyllenhaal is shooting The Sisters Brothers for Jacques Audiard and next has the David Gordon Green-directed Stronger, in which he plays Jeff Bauman in his recovery from the Boston Marathon blast that took his lower legs. It marks the narrative debut of Gyllenhaal’s production company Nine Stories, which produced along with Mandeville and Bold Films.

Russo wrapped the Ron Shelton-directed Villa Capri.
http://deadline.com/2017/06/jake-gyl...er-1202116659/
Old 03-12-18, 12:36 PM

re: Velvet Buzzsaw (2019, D: Gilroy) S: Gyllenhaal, Russo, Collette, Malkovich -- Netflix

Netflix’s untitled Dan Gilroy pic starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo has set a starry ensemble prior to production.

British actress Zawe Ashton, “Stranger Things” breakout Natalia Dyer, Tony Award nominee Tom Sturridge, Tony Award winner Daveed Diggs, Academy Award nominee Toni Collette, and Academy Award nominee John Malkovich have signed on to join Gyllenhaal and Russo in upcoming horror-thriller.

For Gilroy, Gyllenhaal, and Russo, this marks a reunion after teaming up on Gilroy’s directorial debut “Nightcrawler,” which earned Gilroy an Oscar nomination for best original screenplay.

The plot follows big-money artists and mega-collectors who pay a high price when art collides with commerce.

“Nightcrawler” producer Jennifer Fox is producing. Betsy Danbury is on board as an exec producer.

Production is currently underway in Los Angeles, and the movie will bow sometime in 2018.

For Ashton, the role is a huge get, having beat out several actresses for the part. Her most recent credits include the Showtime series “Guerrilla” and “Nocturnal Animals,” which also starred Gyllenhaal. She can be next in Neil Jordan’s “The Widow.” She is repped by APA, Link and Troika.

Sturridge is best known for his Tony-nominated role in “On the Road.” He can be seen next in “Journey’s End” and “Mary Shelley.” His other past credits include “Far From the Maddening Crowd.” He is repped by WME.

Dyer is best known as Nancy on Netflix’s hit series “Stranger Things” and is expected to return to the role for Season 3. She is repped by WME and One Entertainment. Famous for his role as Thomas Jefferson in the Broadway sensation “Hamilton,” Diggs was most recently seen in Lionsgate’s “Wonder,” as well as the ABC series “Black-ish.” He is also repped by WME.

Collette is coming off some of the best reviews of her career in the Sundance film “Hereditary.” A24 recently purchased rights to the movie and plans to open it on June 8. She is repped by CAA and United Management.

Malkovich had a busy 2017, shooting both Netflix’s “Birdbox” and STX’s “Mile 22” opposite Mark Wahlberg. Both films open in 2018. He is repped by WME.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/da...st-1202723014/
Old 03-12-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
re: Velvet Buzzsaw (2019, D: Gilroy) S: Gyllenhaal, Russo, Collette, Malkovich -- Netflix

I'm out on any Netflix films until they put a few together in a row that aren't total shit.
Old 01-08-19, 11:31 AM

After a series of paintings by an unknown artist are discovered, a supernatural force enacts revenge on those who have allowed their greed to get in the way of art.
This drops on Netflix February 1, 2019.
Old 01-08-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Netflix had a pretty strong 2018 (movie wise) with Roma, Buster Scruggs, Set It Up, Private Life, All the Boys I've Loved Before, etc; (not to mention hugely popular ones like Christmas Chronicles) hopefully they can continue that trend.
Old 01-08-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

The tagline makes this sound like a modern day Portrait of Dorian Grey.
Old 01-10-19, 09:08 AM

<iframe width="663" height="373" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GzxMLxO0ggk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Velvet Buzzsaw is a thriller set in the contemporary art world scene of Los Angeles where big money artists and mega-collectors pay a high price when art collides with commerce. Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Toni Collette, Zawe Ashton, Tom Sturridge, Natalia Dyer, Daveed Diggs, Billy Magnussen, and John Malkovich star in the new mind-bending film written and directed by Dan Gilroy.

Last edited by dex14; 01-21-19 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Velvet Buzzsaw (2019, D: Gilroy) S: Gyllenhaal, Russo, Collette, Malkovich -- Net

Can't.Wait. This looks crazy.

Edit: fair warning, that trailer shows a ton.
Old 01-10-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Velvet Buzzsaw (2019, D: Gilroy) S: Gyllenhaal, Russo, Collette, Malkovich -- Net

Count me in.
Old 01-10-19, 03:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The trailer looks like the story would have been a terrific episode in Rod Serling's Night Gallery. And believe me when I say that as a compliment.
Old 01-29-19, 08:07 AM

Reviews coming out, currently 86%: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/velvet_buzzsaw
Old 02-01-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Velvet Buzzsaw (2019, D: Gilroy) S: Gyllenhaal, Russo, Collette, Malkovich -- Netflix

Bump for today's release.
Old 02-01-19, 09:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Reviews coming out, currently 86%: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/velvet_buzzsaw
now 67%...
Old 02-01-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Velvet Buzzsaw (2019, D: Gilroy) S: Gyllenhaal, Russo, Collette, Malkovich -- Netflix

Just finished it. It's well acted and never boring, but tonally uneven. It's like a really interesting movie about art but kind of a failure as a horror movie, as none of the frightening scenes are all that tense, much less scary.

It's one of those movies where, once you figure out where it's headed, there it goes without any revelations or surprises. I expected more given the calibre of the cast. Still, I wasn't bored. I just think I would've enjoyed it more as movie about the cut throat art world instead of a horror movie. (At least, that's what I think it was trying to be.)
Old 02-01-19, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,199 Likes on 2,065 Posts

I spent the first 30 minutes or so absolutely hating this. Then by the end I kinda loved it!

Great performances, especially Jake Gyllenhaal. I thought he gave an Oscar caliber performance. The only one I didn’t like was the actress who played Josephina. She was way out of her depth surrounded by the other great performances.

There was one scene that made great use of the surround sound!

Art people are so damn weird!
Old 02-03-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I’m still getting used to the 4K look.

Its amazing how crystal clear those aerial shots are. In Buster Scruggs the Tom Waits story also had some amazing clarity. Just a shift from what I’ve been used to for all my life. It’s always felt at plays with shows like Sabrina. But seeing quality films in this style takes some getting used to.
Old 02-03-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I like Gilroy, but this sort of ran out of gas for me after an hour, though I had to stay to see how it played out. Excellent performances, but it feels like a fairly standard Horror film dressed in a tuxedo. The venal business of Art is well-presented, but the Horror scenes are nothing special and too few. In many ways I was reminded of Roger Corman's "Bucket of Blood" from the late '50's.
Old 02-04-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was interesting enough but i was kind of hoping there'd be a few more horror elements mixed in. That poor assistant

I look forward to the sequel where they call the Ghostbusters.
Old 02-05-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I liked it. 3/5. I liked the sort of running gag with the assistant. I liked how it was making fun of the art snobbery.
Old 02-06-19, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A great change of pace from the usual fare.
Loved the smart dialog and biting criticism of modern art.
Characters are drawn well.
It never drags and always kept my attention.
This movie is custom built for 4K UHD and it really shines.
Old 05-26-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I liked it though maybe I was not expecting a horror movie and that was kind of a surprise since I thought it was a comedy/drama.

Great performances and maybe Russo's best performance.