Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supernatural Spinoff ‘Wayward Sisters’ Set As Backdoor Pilot For Season 13

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 12:23 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts
Supernatural Spinoff ‘Wayward Sisters’ Set As Backdoor Pilot For Season 13

EXCLUSIVE: It’s the ladies’ turn in the Supernatural franchise. I have learned that the CW’s long-running drama series, about the adventures of the Winchester brothers, is prepping a new spinoff, Wayward Sisters, starring the original series’ standout Kim Rhodes.

The project — which is being developed as a planted spinoff and will have a backdoor pilot airing as an episode of Supernatural‘s upcoming 13th season — tells the story of Sheriff Jody Mills (Rhodes) and a group of troubled young women, all of them orphaned by supernatural tragedy. Under Mills’ training and protection, these women will emerge as a supreme monster-fighting force. Unlike the original series, which centers on a biological brothers, Wayward Sisters is about a sisterhood of girls in a foster family. The spinoff hails from a quartet of Supernatural writers-producers, showrunners Andrew Dabb and Robert Singer as well as Phil Sgriccia, Robert Berens. Warner Bros. TV, which produces Supernatural, is the studio. The CW and WBTV declined comment.

Written by Berens and Dabb, Wayward Sisters is expected to also bring over other characters featured on the mothership series as well as introduce new ones. I hear Rhodes is the only actress currently attached to the spinoff, with talks with others in various stages. Based on the premise of the project, two existing Supernatural characters, orphan Claire Novak and runaway Alex Jones, who had been put under Jody’s care, would fit in nicely, with Jody’s colleague and occasional partner, Sheriff Donna Hanscum, also a strong candidate.

Jody, Claire, Alex and Donna have been the dream quartet of characters of a spinoff fans had been rallying for, dubbed Wayward Daughters. Named in part after the title of the Kansas song that opens every Supernatural finale, Carry On Wayward Son, the Wayward Daughters spinoff idea was the result of a grassroots fan effort that started two years ago, soon after Bloodlines, the first proposed Supernatural spinoff, did not go forward. (Bloodlines too was introduced as a backdoor pilot, which aired during Supernatural‘s ninth season). Wayward Daughters had been embraced by some of the Supernatural actresses who have supported the effort on social media, and even have worn some of the special T-shirts created by the fan campaign.

Supernatural has long had a very close relationship with its fans, and Wayward Sisters is the latest example of the show’s producers listening to its passionate core viewers. One criticism from fans about Bloodlines — which explored the clashing hunter and monster cultures of Chicago — was that it only featured new characters viewers had no emotional connection to. The show’s constituency had been asking for a spinoff built around Supernatural favorites, and that’s what Wayward Sisters is about.

The spinoff is executive produced by Dabb, Singer, Sgriccia and Berens.

Supernatural stars Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles as the Winchester brothers who hunt demons, ghosts, monsters, and other supernatural beings. While Bloodlines, written by then-Supernatural supervising producer Dabb, did not go to series in 2014, the CW brass had remained high on finding a new concept to launch a Supernatural offshoot. “We’d love to do one, it would not happen this year but at some point,” the CW president Mark Pedowitz said in summer 2015. A big Supernatural fan, Pedowitz had called it “a franchise that has a lot of legs to it.”

Veterans Singer and Sgriccia have been on Supernatural since right after the pilot. Singer has served an executive producer/director and occasional writer. Sgriccia started as supervising producer, rising to executive producer. Dabb joined in Season 4 as writer, progressing through the ranks to executive producer. Berens has been on Supernatural for the past four seasons, moving up from a staff writer to supervising producer.

Rhodes has appeared in 12 episodes of Supernatural to date. Her Sheriff Jody Mills character was first introduced during Season 5. Rhodes also recently had a major recurring role on USA’s Colony and did an arc on CBS’ Criminal Minds.
http://deadline.com/2017/06/supernat...13-1202116253/
Old 06-20-17, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Supernatural Spinoff ‘Wayward Sisters’ Set As Backdoor Pilot For Season 13

I don't think Sheriff Jody Mills is a strong enough character to carry a series. They would need to cast IMO another actor to play a hunter and someone relatively known.

I like Mills and her interactions with Sam and Dean, but they need do something really unique with an interesting hook to make this potential series interesting.
Old 06-20-17, 02:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm 100% in favor of this spinoff. Didn't know about the campaign but I've liked Jody Mills a lot more than most of their recurring characters.

Its too bad that British Men of Letters chick is dead because she would have been a good character to add on a redemption arc. She had hunting training and occult knowledge that Jody simply doesn't and the group will need. Maybe Mary Winchester can join this?
Old 06-20-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Add in DJ Qualls character and I'm in.
Old 06-20-17, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Isn't this like the fifth or six attempted Supernatural spin-off?
Old 06-20-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Isn't this like the fifth or six attempted Supernatural spin-off?
2nd. The 1st attempt I believe was 3 seasons ago.

http://supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/S...al:_Bloodlines

It was called "Supernatural: Bloodlines" and aired as a backdoor Pilot.
Old 06-20-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Does nothing for me. Pass.
I'd rather have seen Garth gets his own show while he was still a hunter. Ghost Chasers would be better than this.
A nourish Men of Letters show set in the 1950s might be cool. A kind of Supernatural Untouchables.
Old 06-20-17, 07:33 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I just got the title. Ha.
Old 06-20-17, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

It's actually like the 3rd, because they originally had talks about a spin-off with Samuel Colt back in Western times that never ended up making it to getting a pilot or anything before being canned.

Anyways... I doubt I'll tune into this. Doesn't really seem to have a character with any umph to really be the main cast... It's just a bunch of b-rank side-characters in an attempt to continue to cash in on the fandom of a franchise that has been overdue to end for a while now.
Old 06-21-17, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's actually like the 3rd, because they originally had talks about a spin-off with Samuel Colt back in Western times that never ended up making it to getting a pilot or anything before being canned.
It's the fourth. There was the Samuel Colt spinoff, another episode that was hoping to serve as a backdoor pilot that was hated, the bloodlines spinoff, and the one about the guy and the witch who could turn into a dog.

Anyway I'll pass. Never been a Jodi fan and don't believe she can carry a show. Honestly if they wanted a spinoff, I don't know why they don't do a young John Winchester spinoff after Mary dies. Or if they have to have a female spinoff, just focus on Claire. Too bad they killed off Jo and Ellen as they could carry a spinoff also.
Old 06-21-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I like Jody, but I don't find myself wishing to see more of her or to have her own show. Jo and Ellen were far better characters. I also thought the Lily Sunder character could have been used for more than just one episode. The problem is they usually kill all the females and keep characters like Crowley way past their expiration date. This last season was one of the better ones in recent years, though.
Old 06-21-17, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Jody, but not as a lead. I really have no interest in that whatsoever. I asked my daughter about it who I watch Supernatural with and she said, "Who?" and then I had to remind her who Jody was and she isn't interested either. I"m not sure who the target demographic for this is. We watch Supernatural because of chemistry between the brothers and Castiel. The world isn't that interesting. At least not as it stands today. We simply know too much about it. There's nothing left to explore, or at least their writers haven't shown me that they can do something interesting with it without the characters we really love.
Old 06-21-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
It's the fourth. There was the Samuel Colt spinoff, another episode that was hoping to serve as a backdoor pilot that was hated, the bloodlines spinoff, and the one about the guy and the witch who could turn into a dog.
Wikipedia lists 5 spin-offs: the Ghostchasers webseries, the anime adaptation, the Bloodlines episode, the Samuel Colt proposed spin-off, and now Wayward Daughters.

The Season 8 episode "Man's Best Friend with Benefits" was speculated to be a backdoor pilot at the time, but this was never officially acknowledged.

I can't find any evidence of any other episodes being backdoor pilots, real or rumored.