Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Leftovers (S3E07) -- "The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His...)" -- 5/28/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Leftovers (S3E07) -- "The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His...)" -- 5/28/17

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 07:50 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

"The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His Identical Twin Brother)"

On a mission of mercy, Kevin (Justin Theroux) assumes an alternate identity.

Written by Nick Cuse & Damon Lindelof; directed by Craig Zobel.
Old 05-29-17, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: The Leftovers (S3E07) -- "The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His...)" -- 5/2

I enjoyed the episode, but... I just don't know. I hope this show doesn't go all LOST on us.

I did laugh both times his 10 pound cock made a *thud* during the security check
Old 05-30-17, 07:59 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: The Leftovers (S3E07) -- "The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His...)" -- 5/2

I found Kevin's previous forays into the "other world" more confusing - this episode fascinated me, and I felt like I could actually follow what was happening.

If there was no song to stop the rain, I wonder what stopped it? (Assuming that there was actually a flood which was averted somehow.)

And what happened to those kids' shoes!!!!!??????
Old 05-30-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That penis security check got me lol'ed.

When I first watched Leftovers, I had feeling that the characters we saw on show are ones that "vanished", not their love ones. The more episodes I watch and I feel like I'm watching "Lost".

When I watched Lost for the first time, I first thought the people on island are already dead. After couple episodes over 6 years, I get more confusing with my theory as it grew more different theories about it. I felt same with Leftovers now...
Old 05-31-17, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

If next week's finale suck, I'm gonna pretend it ended here with:

- the other place Kevin enters is a parallel universe.
- this is where the departures went due to unexplained erosion (like on Fringe).
- Kevin nuked it and now only ours remain.

Old 05-31-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

A show written by Lindelof will end with unanswered questions? Who saw that coming?
Old 05-31-17, 05:13 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Old 06-01-17, 09:17 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I thought this week's episode was fantastic. I'm sure it came off as complete mess on the page, but somehow came off as a helluva entertaining hour of TV. I'm surprised they went back to International Assassin a 3rd time, but they did...and it worked.

I really like Kevin Sr. in all of this. Despite the fact him being completely narcissistic, and ultimately wrong in his predictions, whenever I think of Scott Glenn, I will think of him in this show.

The final shot of both Kevin's on the roof was a perfect end to the episode. "Now what?"
Old 06-01-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Wonder where they are gonna go with Nora going "away" and old Nora

Time traveling perhaps?
Old 06-02-17, 09:30 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
A show written by Lindelof will end with unanswered questions? Who saw that coming?
How will fans of The Leftovers feel when they finish the HBO drama’s final episode Sunday night?

“I don’t know, man,” says showrunner Damon Lindelof, whose last series finale was rather divisive (that would be ABC’s Lost). “I’m probably quite literally the least qualified person to answer that.”

But don’t take that reply as a lack of confidence. When plotting the current third-and-final season, Lindelof convened the show’s writers for two weeks straight to simply figure out The Leftover’s last scene. “There was a lot of spirited conversation, a lot of emotion at the table,” he recalls. “It was my feeling that we would not stop until all the writers agreed we had the right ending and the most authentic ending. We put blinders on, and then we did not deviate.”

Eventually, he says, they cracked it. Yet Lindelof remains uncertain about whether fans will agree because, after all, there’s no way to possibly know how an audience will respond. “I find it to be immensely satisfying and true to the show,” he says. “But it’s possible that the audience will have an entirely different reaction to it.”

According to the critics this season, Lindelof has been doing everything right so far. This is his provocative and challenging drama’s best-reviewed year despite gambling on another major location change as the action shifted from Texas to Australia. We’ve seen the possibly immortal Kevin (Justin Theroux) wrestle his messiah status, a mounting series of omens suggesting an imminent great flood is going wipe out humanity (or not), the possible suicide of Laurie Garvey (Amy Brenneman), and, most intriguingly, Nora (Carrie Coon) being offered the opportunity to use a machine that may or may not teleport her to the location of her vanished kids.

So what happens in the grand finale?

Lindelof says there will be a bit more information about Laurie, the show won’t leave viewers hanging about her fate. “I’ll say that what happens to Laurie after she goes in the water was the thing that we talked about the most in the writer’s room this entire season, and it had the deepest emotional effect on us when we made the decisions that we made,” he said. “I will say that what the finale owes is a resolution to what Laurie did and why. The story isn’t over yet. I’m not saying she lived or she died, but that’s not going to be a question mark looming over the future of The Leftovers.”

And as for Kevin?

“We were less interested in the question of ‘centuries from now is Kevin Garvey basically viewed as a prophet?’ and more interested in ‘are these characters going to be okay?’ But I believe we designed a finale that answers both fairly satisfyingly,” Lindelof says. “I feel like if people are on board for the first seven episodes, the eighth episode is the culmination of all those ideas. It’s not some crazy outside-the-box idea. And I think that like those seven episodes, there’s big emotion, humor, some unexpected storytelling, but ultimately, it should feel inevitable. I hope they dig it. But I’ve been wrong before.”
http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/01/leftover...eekly_facebook
Old 06-03-17, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Well, I did it -- I caught up and made it to the end prior to the Finale while still only watching episodes while running on the treadmill and not binging at home.

That was a heck of an entertaining episode. It takes a confident show-runner to take his lead character to the afterworld not one, not two but three separate times in the last ten episodes. Still it worked. And the biometric dong reader is an image that will last for a long, long time in the annuls of television history. Good episode and I was almost happy to see Patty again -- if nothing else, she can deliver a punch line and an insult like nobody on this show.

I hope like hell that the Finale is good - really good. Not so much for my personal enjoyment, but rather for Lindelof. He's haunted by the negative reaction to the LOST finale more than anyone should be for their art. He's defensive about it, sure, but he's also hurt on a deeply personal level. I listened to both episodes of The Watch he did after S2 and after E2S3 -- over 2 hours in total. The pain in his voice, the regret he has - it isn't fair and it isn't right. At one point, he says that when he was asked by members of the media "Did you have a plan from Season One on where exactly the story was going?" he kind of HAD to say yes to reassure the viewing public they were in good hands even though the real answer was very obviously "No". He doesn't get enough credit for running a very good TV series in LOST and gets a ton of blame for the finale (which I didn't like but didn't hate either).
I really and truly hopes he lands this one in a satisfying way that remains true to his vision. I don't need a ton of fan-service and Deus Ex Machina here to make me happy.

BTW : here are those two podcasts :

<iframe src="https://art19.com/shows/the-watch/episodes/86374e4f-87ae-44a7-a466-68c687ee9d4b/embed?theme=dark-blue" style="width: 100%; height: 200px; border: 0 none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/261891748&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&vi sual=true"></iframe>