Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Universal Sets ‘Mamma Mia’ Sequel for 2018: ‘Here We Go Again!’

Ten years after Meryl Streep proved she was a dancing queen, Universal Pictures is returning to the ABBA jukebox musical with “Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!”

The sequel will open July 20, 2018, the studio announced Friday. Ol Parker (“The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel”) serves as writer and director.

It’s unclear who among the original cast might return, but the 2008 film starred Streep, Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, Amanda Seyfried, Stellan Skarsgard, Christine Baranski, Dominic Cooper and Julie Walters.

The studio plans to mine music from the ABBA discography that was not featured in the 2008 film, which was based on a 1999 West End stage musical that became a Broadway hit starting in 2001. However, Univeral also assured fans that they will reprise classics used in the first — possibly including the title song, “Dancing Queen” and “Waterloo,.”

Littlestar’s Judy Craymer and Playtone’s Gary Goetzman will return as producers. Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus of ABBA return as music and lyric supervisors and executive producers.
http://www.thewrap.com/universal-set...equel-2018-go/
Old 05-20-17, 05:53 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
re: Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018)

I've been waiting!
Old 05-20-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

As long as we get to hear Pierce sing again....
Old 05-20-17, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guilty pleasure of mine. Baranski and Seyfried were the only singers and the others were so bad it was fun in just how bad they were. Really Meryl, stick with repeating lines other people tell you to say because when you try and sing it's comical. Not sure how this would work. With the movie they had an actual musical to draw from. This might be another sequel that shouldn't get made, however I do love ABBA music.
Old 05-20-17, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm so unhealthy in for this!!
Old 05-21-17, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

If this ever gets made, it will surely be a movie!
Old 05-21-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I woke up this morning with Mamma Mia in my head so I put on the movie while I am painting the family room. One thing that always bothered me about this movie besides the fact that few can actually sing. These actors are all well into their 50's yet it acts as though they are much younger and had Sophie as kids themselves when in fact they would have been at least 30. Also when she sees them in the goat house and envisions them younger they are all dressed like hippies from the 60's or early 70's but with Sophie being 20 it would have been well into the 80's.

I know it's just supposed to be a goofy movie and leave common sense at the door, but I still notice the incongruities.
Old 12-21-17, 05:31 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XcSMdhfKga4" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Get ready to sing and dance, laugh and love all over again.

Ten years after Mamma Mia! The Movie grossed more than $600 million around the world, you are invited to return to the magical Greek island of Kalokairi in an all-new original musical based on the songs of ABBA. With the film’s original cast returning and new additions including Lily James (Cinderella, Baby Driver), the musical comedy will open on July 20, 2018.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again is produced by Judy Craymer and Gary Goetzman, producers of the original film. Craymer is also the creator and producer of the worldwide smash-hit stage musical.

Ol Parker, writer of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, writes and directs the sequel from a story by Catherine Johnson, Richard Curtis and Parker. Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus return to provide music and lyrics and serve as executive producers. Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, Phyllida Lloyd, Richard Curtis and Nicky Kentish Barnes also serve as executive producers.

Reprising their roles from Mamma Mia! The Movie are Academy Award® winner Meryl Streep as Donna, Julie Walters as Rosie and Christine Baranski as Tanya. Amanda Seyfried and Dominic Cooper reunite as Sophie and Sky, while Pierce Brosnan, Stellan Skarsgård and Oscar® winner Colin Firth return to play Sophie’s three possible dads: Sam, Bill and Harry.

As the film goes back and forth in time to show how relationships forged in the past resonate in the present, James will play the role of Young Donna. Filling the roles of Young Rosie and Young Tanya are Alexa Davies (A Brilliant Young Mind) and Jessica Keenan Wynn (Broadway’s Beautiful). Young Sam will be played by Jeremy Irvine (War Horse), while Young Bill is Josh Dylan (Allied) and Young Harry is Hugh Skinner (Kill Your Friends).
Old 12-21-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018)

I'm In! I'm all the way in!
Old 12-21-17, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

This looks absolutely insufferable. It'll make a billion dollars.
Old 12-21-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
This looks absolutely insufferable. It'll make a billion dollars.
That is the perfect word to describe it. The first film is one of the worst movies ever made (IMO). And I liked the play! But as a film, everything about it was a mess.
Old 12-21-17, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

I'm wondering who watched the first movie, saw the part where Amanda Seyfried reads her mom's diary and thought "Man I wish I could see a movie musical about THAT".
How depressed must have Mamie Gummer gotten when she found out that Lilly James was cast as young Donna?
Old 12-22-17, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
That is the perfect word to describe it. The first film is one of the worst movies ever made (IMO). And I liked the play! But as a film, everything about it was a mess.
I also liked the play. I wouldn't go as far as to call it one of the worst movies but it's really bad.

As much as I enjoy ABBA songs, I wasn't asking for a sequel to the movie. I want to really know, who asked for a sequel???
Old 12-22-17, 09:11 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I get the feeling Donna is dead in the sequel. They're really stupid if they did that.
Old 12-22-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Is this the first time where the title of the movie can also be the headline of the review?
Old 07-17-18, 08:18 AM

Opens this week.

88% on RT so far: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mam...re_we_go_again
Old 07-17-18, 09:03 AM

Wow, that's about 80% higher than I had expected.
Old 07-17-18, 05:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

85% currently on RT so far!

Got my tix for Friday

looking forward to it...

Last edited by brtcmfn; 07-18-18 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-21-18, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Enjoyed it. I enjoyed the first one too, but I think having better singers helped. Without getting into spoilers, the two leads are Sophie and Young Donna. Lily James is just a better singer than Streep, and it's hard not fall in love with her a little. And I thought Seyfried was far and away the best singer in the first movie.

Cher really can't act anymore so her appearance is kind of weird, but her big number is a showstopper.

And great news...Pierce does sing again!
Old 07-21-18, 09:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Enjoyed it. I enjoyed the first one too, but I think having better singers helped. Without getting into spoilers, the two leads are Sophie and Young Donna. Lily James is just a better singer than Streep, and it's hard not fall in love with her a little. And I thought Seyfried was far and away the best singer in the first movie.

Cher really can't act anymore so her appearance is kind of weird, but her big number is a showstopper.

And great news...Pierce does sing again!
Totally agree with what you said, and did you notice Pierce does not sing as much or as a showstopper in the sequel, also I thought a few songs felt as if they were placed just to have the actors perform: i.e When I kissed the teacher, and Waterloo, Cher's acting was compensated for her singing which was a good performance. The film was fun and a good summer flick and being an Abba fan doesn't hurt. I though the going between past and current was done well as well.
And make sure that you stay after the credits, to see an additional humourous scene.
Old 07-22-18, 12:24 AM

Just got back. Yeah, it was pretty fun.
I'll say exactly the same thing I said after Baby Driver : The camera just LOVES Lilly James. Plus wow, she's a hell of a singer. I think she's my dream Elphaba opposite Saoirse Ronan's Glinda in a movie version of Wicked.

Weird that the movie was a prequel and a sequel at the same time. I think the prequel stuff was really fun but most of the sequel stuff didn't work and felt really rushed as well.
I like that they went deep into the ABBA library and didn't just rehash all the old songs. That said, their reprise of Dancing Queen was really pointless.

Guess I missed a tag at the end. Bummer.
Old 07-22-18, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brtcmfn
Totally agree with what you said, and did you notice Pierce does not sing as much or as a showstopper in the sequel, also I thought a few songs felt as if they were placed just to have the actors perform: i.e When I kissed the teacher, and Waterloo, Cher's acting was compensated for her singing which was a good performance. The film was fun and a good summer flick and being an Abba fan doesn't hurt. I though the going between past and current was done well as well.
And make sure that you stay after the credits, to see an additional humourous scene.
Contrived scenes are what musicals like this are built on, and When I Kissed the Teacher really brought us into the movie, and the Waterloo scene was one of my favorites. Probably because it's one of my favorite Abba songs.

I agree it was worth having Cher in the movie for the song, but the before and after were a little rough. I imagine acting is like a lot of things. If you don't really do it for 20 years then it's hard to step back into it.
Old 07-22-18, 12:58 AM

Did anyone else wonder what happened to the Young Harry storyline? One moment he's chasing after Donna on the dock, having followed her from France, then the next time you see him it's in the Super Trooper finale?
Wonder if the rest of his performance ended up on the cutting room floor or if they were afraid of venturing too far into Call Me By Your Name territory.
Old 07-22-18, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Did anyone else wonder what happened to the Young Harry storyline? One moment he's chasing after Donna on the dock, having followed her from France, then the next time you see him it's in the Super Trooper finale?
Wonder if the rest of his performance ended up on the cutting room floor or if they were afraid of venturing too far into Call Me By Your Name territory.
In the diary in the first movie, he was supposed to have come third after he followed her to Greece so either the filmmakers weren't aware of the order of operations or something must have been cut. Since they actually took him to Greece, my vote would be the latter. Of course, the Mamma Mia timeline and actor ages is so ridiculous it's best to just not think about it.
Old 07-22-18, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We had tickets for opening night, then started reading the reviews. We ended up getting refunds, and will wait until Redbox...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.