Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Little Dragon -- D: Shekhar Kapur -- Bruce Lee biography produced by Shannon Lee

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Little Dragon -- D: Shekhar Kapur -- Bruce Lee biography produced by Shannon Lee

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://variety.com/2017/film/asia/sh...on-1202413799/

Shekhar Kapur is to direct “Little Dragon,” an authorized biopic of martial arts legend Bruce Lee.

The story is a contemporary dramatization of the 1950s Hong Kong social and political forces that shaped Bruce Lee into both the most famous martial arts star of all time and a significant modern day philosopher. Themes include family disappointment, young love, true friendship, betrayal, racism, deep poverty and an inner fire that threatened to unravel his destiny

Production is by Bruce Lee Entertainment, a company operated by Lee’s daughter Shannon Lee, along with Los Angeles-based Convergence Entertainment.

Shannon Lee conducted significant new research into her father’s youth and formative years, a subject which has previously been tangentially explored in numerous moves including Wong Kar-wai’s “The Grandmaster” and the rival “Ip Man” franchise movies respectively directed by Wilson Yip and Herman Yau. Kapur, who also serves as executive producer, co-wrote the “Little Dragon” screenplay with Shannon Lee.

“This film is a deeply personal exploration of Bruce before his inner power and discipline forged him into the ground-breaking icon that continues to this day to inspire people throughout the world,” said Tim Kwok of Convergence.

Pre-production is now under way, ahead of a an anticipated shoot from July in Malaysia. Casting is headed by US casting director, Mary Vernieu.

The film is structured as a U.S., Hong Kong and China co-production financed by Dadi Media Group, Beijing Golden World Pictures, Shanghai Longzhilin Cultural Investment Partnership and Kirin Media. The producers are currently handling all distribution rights.

“It is important that audiences today can relate their own lives to the journey of Bruce Lee, who manages to tap into his inner wisdom and harness his true destiny before it was too late,” said Kapur in a prepared statement. He picks up after completing duties on TNT’s highly anticipated 10-part television series “Will,” on which he is executive producer and co-director.

“I always thought that a film about how my father’s life was shaped in his early years in Hong Kong would be a worthwhile story to share so we could better understand him as a human being and a warrior,” said Lee. “I’m really excited that Shekhar will breathe life into the first film from Bruce Lee Entertainment.”

Yu-San Yu, Allen Tan, Leo Zheng and Jeff Chao will also serve as executive producers.

I could have sworn I made a thread about this a few years ago. Couldn't find it. Anyways, this movie had been in development for a few years.

Reading this description, so this is going to be "Bruce Lee: The Teen Years" If it's going to take place in the 50's, that's how old he would be.
Old 05-09-17, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Little Dragon -- D: Shekhar Kapur -- Bruce Lee biography produced by Shannon Lee

Sounds like Bruce Lee, My Brother from 2010.
Old 05-09-17, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Little Dragon -- D: Shekhar Kapur -- Bruce Lee biography produced by Shannon Lee

And Kapur is directing? Hmmmm, I am interested.
Old 08-15-17, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Tim Kwok (left) and Shannon Lee presenting a memento to Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng. — Picture by Opalyn Mok

September shooting for Bruce Lee biopic ‘Little Dragon’... in Penang

GEORGE TOWN, Aug 9 — Penang has been picked as a location to film a movie on Bruce Lee titled Little Dragon and shooting may begin as early as next month.

His daughter, Shannon Lee, said the production crew has been in Penang for the past few weeks to scout locations for the movie.

"We are looking for sites to replicate the 1950s period in Hong Kong when my father was growing up," she told a news conference today at Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng's office here.

Shannon, who is co-producer, said the film will tell the origins of Bruce Lee and the influences in his life that put him on the path he was on.

"This is a story on the younger days of my father's life," she said.

Another co-producer Tim Kwok added that a major portion of the film will be shot in Malaysia.

"After Penang, we will film in Pinewood Iskandar Studios in Johor and Guangzhou, China," he said.

The shooting of the film in Penang will start sometime in September and may take till early November before they move to the next location.

Kwok said they are still in the process of selecting the actor to be the 17 to 18-year-old Bruce Lee.

"About 5,000 people worldwide have auditioned for it and we have shortlisted four candidates for now," he said.

One of the four shortlisted is a Malaysian actor.

The movie is produced by Bruce Lee Entertainment, which is part of the Bruce Lee Family Company.

Kwok said they expect to wrap up filming my middle of 2018 and the 120-minute movie is expected to be released in late 2018.

Bruce Lee, known as the master of kungfu, was born in San Francisco, the United States but he grew up in Kowloon, Hong Kong.

He died at 32 years of age on July 20, 1973.

Read more at http://www.themalaymailonline.com/sh...KQyM34OrMPF.99

So I hope this isn't a teen angst ridden Bruce Lee. I have watched 2 episodes of Legend of Bruce Lee on Netflix and he's a fucking annoying brat as a teen.

For those who don't know where Penang is, it's one of the smaller cities in Malaysia. I traveled there 4 years ago.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-15-17 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-15-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
[IMG]
So I hope this isn't a teen angst ridden Bruce Lee. I have watched 2 episodes of Legend of Bruce Lee on Netflix and he's a fucking annoying brat as a teen.
Your still watching that?

This will be compared to Bruce Lee, My Brother. Since Shannon doesn't get along with that side of the family I wonder how she's going to get permission to use them. This feud has been going on for a long time. It's the reason why Dragon: The Bruce Lee story didn't include the family.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...family-divided

She's also not in contact with Dan Inosanto because they differ in opinion on how JKD should go forward. He refused to work on A Warrior's Journey and dubbed the Japanese version (Bruce Lee in G.o.D.) instead. Even Black Belt magazine hates her for imposing restrictions on his image.

Last edited by mrhan; 08-15-17 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-15-17, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

"I met with Bruce Lee's family and all they got me was this lousy t-shirt."