Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S3E04) -- "Sabrosito" -- 5/1/17

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 07:14 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts
Better Call Saul (S3E04) -- "Sabrosito" -- 5/1/17

"Better Call Saul" season three continues with an all-new episode on Monday, May 1st at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT. On the new episode, "Sabrosito," Jimmy calls in a favor from Mike. New complications disrupt the Salamancas' business. Chuck and Jimmy struggle to compromise.
Old 05-01-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S3E04) -- "Sabrosito" -- 5/1/17

I can not wait until next week. I was kinda disappointed when it switched to Jimmy's storyline, but it was great. Can't wait to see what both teams cook up.
Old 05-01-17, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that opening!!

"A bullet to the head would have been far too humane"

"Bingo"

awesome stuff
Old 05-01-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

at Mike and the power drill
Old 05-01-17, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Kind of ironic when you consider that Gus saving Hector's life with the "DON'T" note ultimately resulted in Hector killing Gus.
Old 05-02-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

The opening stuff was great, and it is awesome to know that Don Eladio will bite it. What an annoying prick.

So obviously Chuck fucked himself with the tape, but how?

He claimed damages for the tape, but did he claim 'THE tape' or just 'a tape?' I guess that doesn't really matter.

Also, since he made a backup of it, doesn't it makes it obvious that he baited Jimmy? if he just wanted to ensure it wouldn't get stolen, he would just lock it away, rather than leaving a decoy.

The judge was a bitch. Hopefully she'll get her comeuppance.
Old 05-02-17, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Easily the best episode of BCS ever, and there have been a lot of great episodes. I assume this is the one that Gilligan said could be the 63rd episode of Breaking Bad.

So so much to love in this episode. And the "bingo" was the perfect ending to a fantastic episode.

I also don't think that so far that knowing the future landing spot for any of these characters is in any way diminishing the drama they are building.
Old 05-02-17, 07:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

That felt like the most screentime we've seen of Gus in any single episode of BB or BCS. After BB ended, Gilligan and team were debating whether to make a show about Saul or Gus. This gives us an idea of how the latter might have turned out.

Loved the opening with Don Eladio. The exchange between Mike-Gus at the parking lot brought a smile to my face. Fantastic episode
Old 05-02-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Kind of ironic when you consider that Gus saving Hector's life with the "DON'T" note ultimately resulted in Hector killing Gus.
The interesting thing is that in this time line and from this perspective, we kind of root for Gus. He's the good guy here. But in Breaking Bad, we cheer on Walt over Gus.

Also, in BCS we see that Mike is a very smart and crafty cookie who is very cautious - which makes the way he dies in BB underwhelming.
Old 05-02-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Easily the best episode of BCS ever, and there have been a lot of great episodes. I assume this is the one that Gilligan said could be the 63rd episode of Breaking Bad.
I forgot he had said that and as I was watching last night I kept thinking how much this felt like a lost episode of BB and also how this actually makes some of the storylines in BB even better in retrospect
Old 05-02-17, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I forgot he had said that and as I was watching last night I kept thinking how much this felt like a lost episode of BB and also how this actually makes some of the storylines in BB even better in retrospect
I found it a little jarring when the opening scene didn't cut to the BB music and logo.
Old 05-02-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
The interesting thing is that in this time line and from this perspective, we kind of root for Gus. He's the good guy here. But in Breaking Bad, we cheer on Walt over Gus.

Also, in BCS we see that Mike is a very smart and crafty cookie who is very cautious - which makes the way he dies in BB underwhelming.
He died because he always looked down on Walt, and failed to see just how dangerous he had become.

This show keeps getting better and better.
Old 05-02-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
He died because he always looked down on Walt, and failed to see just how dangerous he had become.

Exactly, on both counts.

And yeah, this ep was about as good as it gets. By far my favorite so far.
Old 05-02-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So so much to love in this episode. And the "bingo" was the perfect ending to a fantastic episode.
The only downside was as the screen went dark I blurted out "No!" as I realized the episode was over.
I also don't think that so far that knowing the future landing spot for any of these characters is in any way diminishing the drama they are building.
It never seems to matter that we know we win when watching WWII movies either. They have done a fantastic job of weaving drama into the journey, letting us in on how the many and at the time seemingly trivial choices they made led to their ultimate destinations.
Old 05-02-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In a way it makes it more poignant in that it serves as a reminder of how in that world no matter powerful or savvy you become all it takes is one mistake. Sort of like Omar in The Wire.
Old 05-02-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
So obviously Chuck fucked himself with the tape, but how?

He claimed damages for the tape, but did he claim 'THE tape' or just 'a tape?' I guess that doesn't really matter.

Also, since he made a backup of it, doesn't it makes it obvious that he baited Jimmy? if he just wanted to ensure it wouldn't get stolen, he would just lock it away, rather than leaving a decoy.
My take is that "Bingo" referred to Kim getting Chuck to reveal that A) there is another tape (the original) and B) there is only one. Now combine this with Mike figuring out where Chuck is keeping it from info he retrieved while in Chuck's house (address book on his desk). So most likely a second but more thought out tape caper of some sort (Yeah, magnets bitch!) is coming.
Old 05-02-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Ah, of course. I overlooked the Mike factor. That makes more sense.

I was thinking Mike's photos were to demonstrate Chuck's mental state, and a possible reason for Jimmy to have told him he switched the numbers. I.e. Chuck's state of mind had caused him to be a danger to himself (the lamp on the papers), so in desperation, Jimmy lied and said he sabotaged Chuck's work. I was expecting something to be brought up at the pre-prosecution diversion.
Old 05-02-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking Mike's photos were to demonstrate Chuck's mental state, and a possible reason for Jimmy to have told him he switched the numbers. I.e. Chuck's state of mind had caused him to be a danger to himself (the lamp on the papers), so in desperation, Jimmy lied and said he sabotaged Chuck's work. I was expecting something to be brought up at the pre-prosecution diversion.
I'm wondering if Jimmy will use this as an opportunity to have Chuck committed, something he passed on previously. Probably important to remember that Jimmy's confession was only related to busting into Chuck's house and nothing to do with the contents of the tape.
Old 05-02-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mike got an address or something from Chuck's address book. My guess is that is the location of the tape. Perhaps Jimmy is going to switch the tape out, confess guilt to the lesser charges, and then use the pictures of Chuck's living conditions to turn the court against him.
Old 05-02-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the address is what Bill Needle pointed out.

It's funny... Regarding what Chuck is doing, I guess there's a fine line between blackmail and a sort of plea bargaining. Although I'm not sure what that line is, I don't doubt that Chuck would be careful not to cross it.
Old 05-02-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Right, but when I say underwhelming - I mean he just pulls out a gun and shoots him while he's in the car. He wasn't outwitted or anything.

Not a criticism or anything, just a contrast to what we would expect.
Old 05-02-17, 11:33 AM

Right, but when I say underwhelming - I mean he just pulls out a gun and shoots him while he's in the car. He wasn't outwitted or anything.

Maybe that's more a statement on how cold, ruthless and calculated Walt became, and less about Mike.
Old 05-02-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh I agree. That is the perfect way for him to go out though. Mike was a cop gone bad. No one was going to outsmart that character to his face. Being double-crossed was the only way.

Like Bill said, a very similar ending situation with Omar on The Wire.
Old 05-02-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Oh I agree. That is the perfect way for him to go out though. Mike was a cop gone bad. No one was going to outsmart that character to his face. Being double-crossed was the only way.

Like Bill said, a very similar ending situation with Omar on The Wire.
That's how twisted life can be. Look at Patton, post-war jeep accident. Chris Kyle had an $80,000 bounty on his head, shot twice, 6 IED and some yahoo at a Texas gun range takes him out.
Old 05-02-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

It's kind of interesting... Walter White is responsible for the deaths of Gus, Hector, and Mike.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.