Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The President Show (Comedy Central) -- Trump satire

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 07:28 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
The President Show (Comedy Central) -- Trump satire

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QbpWLMhS4y4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The losers dominating late-night are in for a rude awakening when the smartest, handsomest, most winning-est president of all time enters the fray to address the nation. The President Show brings television back to the people – by putting a plutocratic billionaire behind the desk.

“The President Show” is executive produced by Anthony Atamanuik, Peter Grosz, Adam Pally, Jason Ross, and 3 Arts Entertainment’s Olivia Gerke, Josh Lieberman, and Greg Walter. The series is produced by Pally’s Clone Wolf Productions and directed by Andre Allen. Sarah Babineau and Ari Pearce are the executives in charge of production for Comedy Central.

Atamanuik has struck a chord with his Trump impression, which has generated attention both on tour as well as in specials on the Fusion cable network. His impression of the President has surfaced on “The Howard Stern Show,” “The View,” and CNN, as well as Comedy Cetntral’s “@midnight.” Atamanuik has a longtime association with the Upright Citizen’s Brigade improv group He had a recurring role on NBC’s “30 Rock” and recently appeared in Hulu’s “Difficult People” and Comedy Central’s “Broad City.” Grosz received two Emmy Awards for his writing on Comedy Central’s “The Colbert Report” and is a regular panelist on NPR’s “Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me.”

This premiered last night.
Old 04-28-17, 08:20 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: The President Show (Comedy Central) -- Trump satire

I just don't see enough content coming from the Trump parody. Plus you see him 24/7 on the news, I don't know if I want to watch another 30 min of him even if it's a parody. Since the Colbert Report went away, Comedy Central has been lost at the 11:30pm time slot.
Old 04-28-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

2017's "That's My Bush!"
Old 04-28-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Nothing about this looks good.
Old 04-28-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

It was really, really bad. Not even worth a second viewing.
Old 04-29-17, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

It was very "meh" -- yet another forgettable Comedy Central show. It could evolve and come into its own, but I'm not expecting much. I will give it another episode or two.

His Trump impression is good when it is good. However, when he takes it overboard or crosses into man-baby territory he loses me.
Old 04-29-17, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

It's funny how Comedy Central did a Bush 43 parody show and a Trump parody show, yet no Obama parody show? (Correct me if I am wrong on that?).

And before everyone says that there is nothing to parody about Obama doesn't understand comedy because you can parody every President. Dana Carvey did a great parody on Bush 41, as he wasn't some crazy right wing Republican. Carvey used taglines like, "Not gonna do it," or "Wouldn't be prudent," and SNL would start off many shows with him in the Oval Office and it would kill everytime.

That's what annoys me about these liberal late night shows and Comedy Central because I'm all for ribbing on the President no matter what party they are from. It just seems like they all forget to mock the President from 2009-2016 for some reason.......
Old 04-29-17, 08:15 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

They had Key and Peele doing the anger translator.
Old 04-29-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
It's funny how Comedy Central did a Bush 43 parody show and a Trump parody show, yet no Obama parody show? (Correct me if I am wrong on that?).
There's something about the liberal/left that connects with arts and entertainment. It's not a conspiracy that there aren't many conservative artists. And that conservative artists generally have a hard time conveying a message. If an artist does have a conservative leaning, it's best to be apolitical, as to not alienate themselves from the community/industry. I'm sure there's a book on this somewhere. If there isn't, someone should write it.

Obama was very bad for comedy. He was well composed and carefully articulate. He had already deconstructed how he appears and was very self-aware. And had all the cool kids working for him. Bush II was hilarious. And Trump is on a whole new level.
Old 04-29-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler

Obama was very bad for comedy. He was well composed and carefully articulate. He had already deconstructed how he appears and was very self-aware. And had all the cool kids working for him. Bush II was hilarious. And Trump is on a whole new level.
My point was Bush 41 was carefully articulate too (he wasn't dumb like his son and wasn't crazy like Trump). But Carvey and SNL made his skits great so these late night shows could have made Obama funny too if they just wanted to. Even Letterman admitted he didn't go hard on Obama as other Presidents cause he didn't want to take him down a peg.
Old 04-29-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

And before everyone says that there is nothing to parody about Obama doesn't understand comedy because you can parody every President. Dana Carvey did a great parody on Bush 41, as he wasn't some crazy right wing Republican. Carvey used taglines like, "Not gonna do it," or "Wouldn't be prudent," and SNL would start off many shows with him in the Oval Office and it would kill everytime.

That's what annoys me about these liberal late night shows and Comedy Central because I'm all for ribbing on the President no matter what party they are from. It just seems like they all forget to mock the President from 2009-2016 for some reason.......
To be fair, The South Park guys were planning to do a show on Al Gore if he won. That's My Bush was a fairly apolitical show, playing more with sitcom tropes than anything specific about Bush.
Old 04-29-17, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Best part was Pence chasing Trump around the desk trying to get his phone.
Old 04-30-17, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Clinton got his share of fun poked at him as well. Sure, some of it had to do with it being before the entertainment world stopped pretending not to be overwhelmingly partisan liberals. But anyone willing to speak honestly knows why Obama got the extra supple kid glove treatment.
Old 04-30-17, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Clinton got his share of fun poked at him as well. Sure, some of it had to do with it being before the entertainment world stopped pretending not to be overwhelmingly partisan liberals. But anyone willing to speak honestly knows why Obama got the extra supple kid glove treatment.
Seriously?
Old 05-01-17, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I don't really think Obama wasn't a target because he was black, I think it was because there wasn't a whole lot to make fun of him about. You can disagree with his policies or how good he was as president, but he's smart, articulate & was a good representative around the world for the United States.

George W. Bush was a boob, plain and simple (although I kind of like him now that he's out of office).

Bill Clinton liked to screw around on his wife with a lot of unattractive women, so plenty to make fun of there.

Trump. Just the worst. He won't last 4 years. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Old 05-01-17, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I don't really think Obama wasn't a target because he was black, I think it was because there wasn't a whole lot to make fun of him about. You can disagree with his policies or how good he was as president, but he's smart, articulate & was a good representative around the world for the United States.

George W. Bush was a boob, plain and simple (although I kind of like him now that he's out of office).

Bill Clinton liked to screw around on his wife with a lot of unattractive women, so plenty to make fun of there.

Trump. Just the worst. He won't last 4 years. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Again, I will continue to say that SNL and comedians made fun of George Bush Sr when he was President, and he was more like Obama then Bush Jr, Clinton, or Trump. Bush Sr. was a very smart guy (Yale Educated, He was VP, He was once Head of the CIA, he didn't fool around on his wife, and was very well respected around the world and even by Democrats. But Dana Carvey did a killer impersonation of him, and Carson used to hit him hard every night on his monologue. (Although Quayle was an easier target).

So that is a bunch of BS that you couldn't go after Obama because he was so perfect in your mind. Any great satirist or comedy writer can find anything funny about a politican, but the liberal late night shows took a pass because it started to get partisan after Bush took us to War in Iraq. Part of it was because he was a Democrat, and part of it was because he was the first Black President, many comedians like David Letterman even admitted it.
Old 05-01-17, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I don't really think Obama wasn't a target because he was black, I think it was because there wasn't a whole lot to make fun of him about. You can disagree with his policies or how good he was as president, but he's smart, articulate & was a good representative around the world for the United States .

You have to be fucking kidding right...you just have to be???
Old 05-01-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Key and Peele, while not focused on Obama, had some pretty popular Obama sketches, including the breakout "Luther the Anger Translator" sketches. But they also had Obama in college, and teaching his daughter to drive, etc.