Reload this Page >

Bates Motel (S5E10) -- Series Finale -- "The Cord" -- 4/24/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-24-17, 03:49 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Norman Bates comes home.
Series finale. There is an after show on after the episode.
Old 04-24-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Bates Motel (S5E10) -- Series Finale -- "The Cord" -- 4/24/17

A stellar ending to a stellar show. IMHO it's one of the best shows of the decade. Im already looking forward to revisiting it in couple of years. Fingers crossed for a complete series release on blu ray.
Old 04-25-17, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Great ending. This show was over the top at times but the ending was great. I will miss the Bates Motel.
Old 04-25-17, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Never thought I would cry over a murderer getting killed.

No escape to another city or country for Norman.

Mondays in Spring will never be the same and it is going to suck in 2018 when it is not there anymore.
Old 04-25-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed the ending. I'm glad this show did well in its run and had proper finale unlike Hannibal which got canned too soon.
Old 04-25-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Never thought I would cry over a murderer getting killed.

No escape to another city or country for Norman.

Mondays in Spring will never be the same and it is going to suck in 2018 when it is not there anymore.
You're a baby. I just had something in my eye, is all.

Yeah, I'll definitely miss this show. Highmore and Farmiga were fantastic.

My only criticism would be that Norma at the dinner table was a bit too pristine, considering...
Old 04-25-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Just started rewatching the series last night. I watched the first three seasons but missed all of season four because my DVR screwed up and didn't record some of the episodes and I wound up just never catching up. So I have the last two seasons and figured I'd start fresh and watch the series in full. I still say this show is much better than I ever expected it would be. Over the top at times but overall a pretty good show.
Old 04-25-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

That was a really good finale.

I thought this show was a stupid idea when it was announced, but based on some good reviews (including here), I gave it a shot and am glad I did. The first two seasons were solid enough, but 3,4,5 were just incredibly good. I'll give it a rewatch at some point, maybe the first 2 seasons will be better to me knowing how the series progressed.

The casting was a huge help, the main characters were really perfect for the roles and did a great job on the show. Norman Bates is just an ingrained character, Highmore really nailed it without being a parody of Perkins. I look forward to seeing him in other things.
Old 04-25-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Just me but Norma looks much better as a brunette or the brownish hair back in season 1.
Old 04-25-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

The first two-three seasons could be pretty random in their plotting, -just look at some of the storylines that just sort of came and went, -but it was always watchable, mostly because of Vera Farmiga . Once they were sort of forced to act out their "end game" for the last two seasons, the show's been really solid.
Old 04-25-17, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember when I first heard that they were doing a show about a teenage Norman Bates...and I remember thinking....that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. One good review after the first episode aired and I thought....why the hell not. I was absolutely HOOKED. I have gotten so many people to watch it and after the finale of Season 4 (holy crap) I re-watched it all to prep for Season 5. This was so well done accolades for all of them. I didn't even hate Rhianna! I felt bad for Romero though....but I guess there was no other way for it to go down.
Old 04-26-17, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

During the special that aired after the finale, they asked Vera if she would miss playing Norma. She replied: "I played the shit out of Norma."

She certainly did and it was a lot of fun to watch her sink her teeth into that role these last five seasons. All the main cast were great, but she really stole the show. I hope if Farmiga decides to do another series that she's allowed to develop a character even half as interesting as Norma Bates.

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Just me but Norma looks much better as a brunette or the brownish hair back in season 1.
Totally.
Old 04-26-17, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority - NOT a fan of the finale.
I thought this 'final season' was often a meandering mess, with some great individual moments but overall it was all a bit underwhelming.

Over the course of the show's run I have enjoyed Highmore and Farmiga, but the rest never completely won me over - though to be fair there would always be something to draw me into another season. The whole Dylan-grows-pot arc almost killed it completely for me, but then that seemed to get "resolved".

I was kind of hoping Chick (who I found to be an interesting character and really played well) would become Robert Bloch and publish his book on Norman called 'Psycho'. Guess that wasn't meant to be...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 04-26-17 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-26-17, 04:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I thought the show was pretty good, but the aftershow made it seem like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Slow your roll.

I was also surprised that nearly everyone had British accents in real life.
Old 04-26-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
I was kind of hoping Chick (who I found to be an interesting character and really played well) would become Robert Bloch and publish his book on Norman called 'Psycho'. Guess that wasn't meant to be...
The same thing crossed my mind when he was buying the typewriter.
Old 04-26-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
I guess I'm in the minority - NOT a fan of the finale.
I thought this 'final season' was often a meandering mess, with some great individual moments but overall it was all a bit underwhelming.

Over the course of the show's run I have enjoyed Highmore and Farmiga, but the rest never completely won me over - though to be fair there would always be something to draw me into another season. The whole Dylan-grows-pot arc almost killed it completely for me, but then that seemed to get "resolved".

While it had some nice moments, I also thought this final season was scattershot. The finale was a decent capper but the writers gave up too easily on making Bates Motel a real prequel to Psycho. The whole Romero sub-plot should have been entirely avoided this season. It was out of character.

I'll give Bates Motel this credit. I never imagined they could wring five seasons out of the character from Psycho so credibly. It was more ambitious than expected. They could have played it safe but kept evolving the Norma and Norman dynamic into something interesting.
Old 04-26-17, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

My only problem with the finale was how they asked us to swallow the idea that the police wouldn't be keeping an eye on the Bates' motel/house to see if Norman returned there. Other than that, it was a fitting send-off.

How good was Freddie Highmore as Norman? So good that I'm going to think of him BEFORE Anthony Perkins whenever someone mentions the character in the future. And so good any studio out there would be crazy to try and do anything with the Psycho characters again. If he doesn't get an Emmy nod, they might as well not even give out the trophy.
Old 04-26-17, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The same thing crossed my mind when he was buying the typewriter.
Old 04-27-17, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I loved the show but did not really like the final episode. So many things wrong. Romero would not have been that dumb. The police not sitting on the hotel is ludicrous. Dylan going into the house in general was ludicrous. If Dylan had just chosen Emma and called the police that would have been better.

In hindsight, the show would have been better just ending when Marion Crane checks in but a lot of people would not have been satisfied with the lack of closure.
Old 04-27-17, 01:39 PM

A&E Announces ‘Bates Motel’ Was Its Last Original Scripted Show
http://www.thewrap.com/ae-announces-...scripted-show/
Old 04-27-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
A&E Announces ‘Bates Motel’ Was Its Last Original Scripted Show
http://www.thewrap.com/ae-announces-...scripted-show/
I guess this isn't much of a surprise. Even Bates Motel as well received as it was didn't get big ratings, and barely made it to a fifth season.
Old 04-27-17, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I always wondered what quality show like this was doing on the Arts & Entertainment Network anyway. It's clearly not their demographic. People prefer junk reality programming in between their commercials.
Old 04-28-17, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I always wondered what quality show like this was doing on the Arts & Entertainment Network anyway. It's clearly not their demographic. People prefer junk reality programming in between their commercials.
I'm really old and I forget, -didn't A&E start as a more "High-End" network a long time back?
Old 04-28-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
In the 80s and 90s, A&E was sort of like a basic cable PBS, and they showed programming like Biography and other documentary-style programming. I also remember An Eveningst the Improv that had stand-up comedians. And they played a lot of mystery themed tv series; British ones like Lovejoy and Cracker, and US ones like Mike Hammer and Law and Order.

Then they startedunning lowest common denominator redneck shit like Dog the Bounty Hunter and Duck Dynasty.
Old 04-28-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Back in the day when the network was first around it was all high-brow fare intended for wealthy, educated viewers. Programs like opera and classical music. Like all networks in the 2000s, they started moving towards the lowest common denominator.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.