Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Outlaw King (2018, D: Mackenzie) S: Pine, Taylor-Johnson -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 01:37 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: In one of the first major deals coming together as Scott Stuber takes the reins as head of Netflix feature films, the director and stars of Hell Or High Water are in final talks to re-team in Outlaw King, an epic period drama that will tell a different version than Braveheart did on Robert The Bruce, the king who led his country to freedom from the oppressive rule of England in Scotland.

Netflix isn’t commenting, but I’ve heard the plan is for David Mackenzie to direct, with his Hell Or High Water star Chris Pine finalizing a deal to play the Scottish king. Ben Foster is in talks to play James Douglas, the Scottish knight who became the king’s chief adviser. Mackenzie wrote the script. Sigma Films’ Gillian Berrie is producing with Anonymous Content’s Richard Brown and Steve Golin. The film is slated to shoot in Scotland in August.

Mackenzie, Berrie and Brown hail from Scotland, and it sure sounds like this is an act of national pride for them to restore some of the luster for the nationally revered Robert The Bruce that was missing from the Best Picture-winning Braveheart. There, Robert the Bruce came across as a privileged brat who was manipulated by his power-hungry leper father into betraying William Wallace, before coming around and leading Scotland to freedom after Wallace was drawn and quartered by England King Edward I. William Wallace will have a place in Outlaw King, but in this story, Robert the Bruce casts aside the comfortable trappings of his upbringing to stand up for his countrymen in a long campaign. He defied the Brits and the Catholic Church and ruthlessly consolidated rule among the squabbling noble elite of Scotland, finally rallying the forces necessary to turn back Edward II’s considerable armies to free Scotland. There is also a major love story in the film, between the king and his Queen, Elizabeth de Burgh, daughter of an England-friendly Irish noble who helped Robert The Bruce form the backbone needed to eradicate the Brits.

Since his well-reviewed work in the Taylor Sheridan-scripted Hell Or High Water, Mackenzie has been in high demand, and was rumored for several big directing assignments. Recently that included The Brotherhood, a package that had Michael Fassbender and Margot Robbie circling, along with several suitors. But Outlaw King has been a longtime passion project for Mackenzie, and he wanted to reunite with Pine and Foster, who turned in career performances in Hell Or High Water. Netflix sparked to make the film immediately, enabling a late summer production start when the Scottish days are long, before it gets dark around 4 PM in late autumn.

The Brotherhood could happen later, but sources said Outlaw King will be the filmmaker’s next outing. It seems exactly the kind of ambitious film that Netflix is shooting for, lining up favorably alongside pics like the Brad Pitt-starrer War Machine, the Will Smith-starrer Bright and possibly the Martin Scorsese-directed The Irishman with Robert De Niro starring.

Mackenzie is repped by UTA and United Agents, Pine by CAA and John Carrabino, and Foster by UTA. Stay tuned.
http://deadline.com/2017/04/chris-pi...ic-1202076150/
Old 04-24-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
re: Outlaw King (2018, D: Mackenzie) S: Pine, Taylor-Johnson -- Netflix

Hell or High Water was one of my favorite films of last year, I'd love to see a reunion of the cast and crew!

A period film about Robert the Bruce seems like kind of an odd choice for Pine and Foster but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 04-24-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

They should just retitle this Braveheart 2.
Old 04-24-17, 09:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Hell or High Water was one of my favorite films of last year, I'd love to see a reunion of the cast and crew!

A period film about Robert the Bruce seems like kind of an odd choice for Pine and Foster but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Seeing them both in HoHW and most their stuff, it is hard to picture them...
Old 07-27-17, 01:21 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Aaron Taylor-Johnson is being set to co-star as James Douglas in Outlaw King, the David Mackenzie-directed Netflix feature that stars Chris Pine as Robert the Bruce in the War for Scottish Independence. Pine reunites with his Hell or High Water helmer in a package Netflix landed in April for its burgeoning feature film slate.
Old 09-08-17, 07:13 AM

Old 09-08-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

No Scottish actors were available for the lead roles?
Old 08-20-18, 09:28 AM

<iframe width="708" height="398" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q-G1BME8FKw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The untold, true story of Robert The Bruce who transformed from defeated nobleman, to reluctant King, to outlaw hero over the course of an extraordinary year. Forced into battle in order to save his family, his people and his country from the oppressive English occupation of medieval Scotland, Robert seizes the Scottish crown and rallies a ragtag group of men to face off against the wrath of the world's strongest army lead by the ferocious King Edward 1 and his volatile son, the Prince of Wales.

In select theaters and on Netflix November 9.
Old 08-20-18, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Outlaw King (2018, D: Mackenzie) S: Pine, Taylor-Johnson -- Netflix

Nice, on my bday. Hope a theater in Houston will have this, was looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. Appointment viewing since it's by MacKenzie. I wonder if William Wallace will even be mentioned...surprised the trailer didn't.
Old 08-20-18, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should have just called it Braveheart II

Chris Pine's accent seems off. I'm looking forward to seeing Florence Pugh again though. She was phenomenal in a small art house movie called Lady Macbeth a couple years ago.
Old 08-20-18, 07:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

That looked fantastic. Yeah Pine’s accent sucks donkey testicles, still looks gritty and well acted. Story behind Gibson’s Braveheart. Nothing wrong with that...
Old 08-20-18, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder who’s idea it was to have Pine study Kevin Costner’s Robin Hood accent for this movie.

Joking aside, this looks pretty good and I’m eagerly anticipating watching this. November seems like a good month to snuggle up in the couch and watch this on Netflix.
Old 08-22-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

This is the opening night film for this year's Toronto Film Fest, and several other Netflix shows are debuting there, and Netflix will surely pick up many lesser projects and bury them as it has for two years running, leading me to think that this might be my last year attending, or at least to consider a serious reduction in attendance next year. Just don't see the point in paying $25 - $50 to see something that's guaranteed to go straight to streaming (or, as in the case of this film, get a very limited, token theatrical release). Among all the fests, TIFF seems to have proven itself the most eager to bend over for Netflix. I suppose because it's a "people's festival" they figure having stars and directors show up to present their upcoming, now-small-screen movies is enough to keep bums on seats in an era of eroding attendance. I'm doubtful how long that can be sustainable, though.
Old 10-25-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Alittle disappointing that the initial reviews are pretty mixed (46%). Figured MacKenzie was a lock to make a critically praised film.
Old 10-25-18, 02:28 PM

I guess Pine's dick isn't good enough.
Old 11-08-18, 06:56 AM

This is up tomorrow. Currently 59% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/outlaw_king
Old 11-11-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this last night. Good, not great. They cut over 20 minutes from the original cut and it shows, and not for the better. It's a very B- kind of movie, where it's competent but overall kind of forgettable.
Old 11-11-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I saw this last night. Good, not great. They cut over 20 minutes from the original cut and it shows, and not for the better. It's a very B- kind of movie, where it's competent but overall kind of forgettable.
I agree with this. I caught it last night and there was some decent stuff mixed in with some not so decent stuff. Overall I liked it but don’t see myself rewatching it anytime soon.

I did like Pine’s performance for the most part though.
Old 11-15-18, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. It did feel like it was missing a little something but it kept me entertained the entire time. Glad I saw I, but not something I will rewatch any time soon.
Old 11-15-18, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

https://themuse.jezebel.com/talking-...guy-1830383142

For the TLDR crowd, the verdict is still out on whether the dick shot was a real dick or prosthetics.