Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fear Factor Revived at MTV - Hosted by Ludacris

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-12-17, 08:37 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

MTV is putting a new spin on Fear Factor.

The younger-skewing Viacom network has revived Fear Factor with an order for a 12-episode reboot to be hosted and exec produced by Ludacris, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The revival, which will premiere Tuesday, May 30 at 10 p.m., is the first project to stem from a new overall deal MTV inked with Ludacris.

The new incarnation will flip the script on its targeted Generation Z audience and instead of gross-out challenges (like eating worms), will be more playful with the hope of providing a cathartic tension release along the way. The newly designed stunts are geared at tapping into visceral fears of today's anxious youth — such as couch surfing at 300 feet and waterlogging personal cell phones.

Inspired by urban legends, scary movies and online videos from the zeitgeist, contestants will be pushed beyond their comfort zones where their body's physiological responses will take over. Each hourlong episode will feature eight contestants pairing up in four teams of two — think siblings, college rivalries, roommates, best friends, co-workers and exes — and faceoff for a cash prize.

The MTV reboot hails from Endemol Shine North America, who produced the original series. Original exec producers Anthony Carbone and Kevin Wehrenberg are returning to serve in the same capacity. They will be joined by Charles Wachter (American Gladiators), Rob Smith and Robin Feinberg for Endemol. MTV head of unscripted Nina L. Diaz will oversee for the network alongside Pamela Post and Tim Palazzola.

“MTV is about celebrating youth culture, and with the reinvented Fear Factor, we are putting the power in our audience’s hands to face and overcome their biggest fears,” MTV, VH1 and Logo president Chris McCarthy said. “We are thrilled to partner with Ludacris, one of the biggest global stars who has a rich history with MTV, to energize this franchise for a whole new generation.”

Fear Factor first launched on NBC in 2001 and ran for six seasons where it is said to have generated $600 million in ad revenue. The series was the first reality competition show to be sold in syndication, with repeats airing on NBCUniversal's horror and suspense network Chiller. NBC revived the series in 2011 with original host Joe Rogan returning for the one-season run.

Fear Factor was based on a Dutch format called Now or Neverland, with NBC and Endemol changing the franchise's name for U.S. audiences. It has been adapted all over the world.

For his part, Ludacris will take over hosting duties previously held by Rogan. Fear Factor comes at a busy time for the singer-actor who recently released the first single from his forthcoming studio album. He also has been busy doing press ahead of the April 14 debut of The Fate of the Furious, in which he reprises his role as Tej. He next voices a role in the animated feature Show Dogs. Fear Factor will be his largest TV commitment to date. He's repped by CAA and Fox Rothschild.

“I am excited to kick off my partnership with MTV, starting with the relaunch of Fear Factor, which will be even more insane and ludicrous than what you remember,” he said. “This will be the first of many great projects together.”

Fear Factor becomes the latest unscripted show to get a revival as the reality space returns to its roots as new concepts — and hits — become increasingly challenging to find. ABC is bringing back Battle of the Network Stars as the Disney-owned network has found success with other retro shows like Celebrity Family Feud and Match Game as well as the upcoming Love Connection and Gong Show.

For MTV, Fear Factor joins a roster of reality competition series including veteran The Challenge and recent launch Stranded With a Million Dollars. The decision to revive Fear Factor comes as MTV president Chris McCarthy has stressed his plan to reinvigorate the network focuses on "everything it is to be young" with universal moments similar to those seen on staples The Hills, Jersey Shore and Laguna Beach. Below, McCarthy talks with The Hollywood Reporter about what to expect from the new Fear Factor and how it fits in with his vision for MTV.

Talk us through the decision to reboot Fear Factor. What made that franchise appealing for MTV?
We speak to our audience on a daily basis and their constant connection to the world has left them feeling anxiety-ridden and paradoxically isolated. They’ve told us repeatedly that they’re looking to MTV for escapist TV that will allow them to tune out of their daily lives, even if it’s for a short period of time. Additionally, our hope is that viewers will be inspired by the contestants on the show, and attempt to conquer their own fears.

The original series had its share of controversy for gross and inhumane challenges. How will you avoid that?
MTV’s intention with the show is to empower people to overcome their fears. We’re not looking to be mean-spirited.

How much is the cash prize?
$50,000.

Will Joe Rogan be involved at all?
No.

In success, is this a renewable series or a one-off?
There is the potential to be renewed.

How does Fear Factor speak to the types of programming that the new MTV is looking for?
We're reinventing old IP for a new generation.

What does having Fear Factor mean for The Challenge? Can both shows coexist?
Absolutely. The Challenge is a fan-favorite programming staple and ratings winner for us. The two compliment each other nicely and offer another layer of competition that our audience can enjoy.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...3?facebook0412
Old 04-12-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 431 Posts
Re: Fear Factor Revived at MTV - Hosted by Ludacris

#NoThanks
Old 04-12-17, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
#NoThanks
What he said.
Old 04-12-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Getting rid of the gross stuff is a deal breaker. I need my fill of Pretty girls choking down balls and guzzling sperm .
Old 04-12-17, 04:31 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No thank you.
Old 04-13-17, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

They’ve told us repeatedly that they’re looking to MTV for escapist TV that will allow them to tune out of their daily lives, even if it’s for a short period of time.
And music videos were the perfect escapist TV. (I know, beating a dead horse but I'm gonna keep on beating it!)
Old 05-30-17, 07:15 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IbYR1lqHbqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zn0yL_AcnnE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C8qompD1eB8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MTV today announced it will give viewers the chance to conquer their fears head on with a refresh of the break-through series "Fear Factor." Ludacris will host the new installment, custom-created for a generation that is increasingly empowered, while also more anxious than ever. Ludacris will also serve as executive producer on the project as part of an overarching deal with MTV. Filled with new stunts inspired by urban legends, popular scary movies and viral videos from today's cultural zeitgeist, "Fear Factor" contestants will confront their fears, be pushed beyond their comfort zones and take action against some of their biggest stressors. The series will include twelve, one-hour episodes which premiere on Tuesday, May 30 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on MTV. "MTV is about celebrating youth culture, and with the reinvented 'Fear Factor,' we are putting the power in our audience's hands to face and overcome their biggest fears," said Chris McCarthy, President, MTV, VH1 and Logo. "We are thrilled to partner with Ludacris, one of the biggest global stars who has a rich history with MTV, to energize this franchise for a whole new generation." "I am excited to kick off my partnership with MTV, starting with the relaunch of 'Fear Factor' which will be even more insane and ludicrous than what you remember," said Ludacris. "This will be the first of many great projects together!" Nothing will be off limits as MTV aims to hit on youth tension points with challenges including "Roach-ella," "Trap Queen," and personal cell phone rescues at heights of over one hundred feet, to name a few. In each episode, contestants will pair up into four teams - siblings, college rivalries, roommates, best friends, co-workers and exes and more - battling it out for fifty thousand dollars of cold hard cash and "Fear Factor" bragging rights.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Chris "Ludacris" Bridges as Host (Season 8- )

This premieres tonight, 5/30/17.
Old 05-31-17, 09:23 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was alright. It still felt like Fear Factor, which was my concern when I heard the changes. My main complaint is that they didn't really push the 'personal fears' thing enough, considering that's the angle they're going for this time. It's also kind of strange they are shying away from the gross food challenges when James Corden is regularly doing 'Spill Your Guts or Fill Your Guts' with celebrities.
Old 05-31-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I didn't realize this was the premier. Was just channel surfing and stumbled onto it last night. It was decent. More of the same, if you ask me which isn't a bad thing, per se. Hot young people doing stupid shit to try and win money.

I do find it ludicrous (ha!) that the prize amount hasn't changed in 20 years.
Old 02-25-18, 05:37 PM

"Fear Factor" returns with a new season of physical and psychological challenges that will push contestants to their limits like never before. The news comes on the heels of MTV's second consecutive quarter of YoY ratings growth - the best streak in six years. Global superstar Ludacris returns to host and executive produce. The first ten, one-hour episodes will debut on Sunday, February 25th at 7:00 p.m. ET/PT with the remaining ten episodes slated for this summer. Internationally, the new season will begin airing in March. Dubbed the "season from hell," contestants must conquer insane challenges like escaping from a haunted house and freeing themselves from a buried coffin. Team pairings will consist of families, students, twins and ex's who'll tackle a "date from hell." Only the bravest (and craziest) will walk away with the $50K cash prize and "Fear Factor" bragging rights.
Old 02-26-18, 07:25 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

the hallmark of the original Fear Factor was the string of hot ass women on the show including playmates and celeb babes etc and events which required bikinis

This reboot has disappointed in this regard
Old 07-17-18, 09:08 AM

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Hosted by Ludacris, the series will include ten, one-hour celebrity episodes filled with new stunts inspired by urban legends, popular scary movies and viral videos from today's cultural zeitgeist. The celebrity contestants will confront their fears, be pushed beyond their comfort zones and take action against some of their biggest stressors.
Old 07-17-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MTV has announced its series of special Celebrity Fear Factor, including an episode that will have Big Brother and Survivor contestants competing against each other. (The Survivor and Big Brother cast episode was originally scheduled for March, but was pulled from the schedule for an unknown reason.)

There are 10 celebrity episodes, and they include ones with cast members from Jersey Shore; The Bachelor franchise (including The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, and Bachelor in Paradise) and Floribama Shore. The season will air Tuesdays at 10 starting July 17, and while individual episodes are listed in a press release, they don’t yet have individual dates.

The celebrities/reality stars competing during this season of Celebrity Fear Factor are as follows:

1. Hip Hop Battle: Tyga, Lil’ Yachty, Kodie Shane and Chanel West Coast.
2. Hip Hop Sibling: Ayo and Teo, Rae Sremmurd.
3. MTV Star Battle: Terrence J, Romeo Miller, Cara Maria, Chris ‘C.T.’ Tamburello, Tori Deal and Jordan Wiseley.
4. Thrill Seeker Throwdown: The Dolan Twins, Jake Miller, Chris Pontius and Bam Margera.
5. Reality TV Royal Rumble: Abi-Maria Gomes, Sierra Dawn Thomas, Cody Calafiore, Zach Rance, Brendon Villegas, Rachel Reilly and Caleb Reynolds.
6. For the Love of Fear: Corinne Olympios, Rachel Lindsay, Vanessa Grimaldi,Alexis Waters and Danielle Maltby.
7. Breaking The Internet: KWAY, La La, Tyler Oakley, JC Caylen and SSSniper Wolf.
8. Battle of The Bands: Misterwives.
9. The Shoredown: Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi, Paul “Pauly D” Delvecchio, Deena Nicole Cortese, Ronnie Ortiz-Magro, Jeremiah Buoni, Nilsa Prowant, Aimee Hall and Kirk Medas.
10. Music Star ShowDown: Timeflies, Bea Miller and Drake Bell.

https://www.realityblurred.com/reali...cast-air-date/

LB: Based on tweets from the Fear Factor twitter - Hip Hop Battle will be the episode that airs tonight.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 07-17-18 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by LaxBandit
1. Hip Hop Battle: Tyga, Lil’ Yachty, Kodie Shane and Chanel West Coast.
2. Hip Hop Sibling: Ayo and Teo, Rae Sremmurd.
3. MTV Star Battle: Terrence J, Romeo Miller, Cara Maria, Chris ‘C.T.’ Tamburello, Tori Deal and Jordan Wiseley.
4. Thrill Seeker Throwdown: The Dolan Twins, Jake Miller, Chris Pontius and Bam Margera.
5. Reality TV Royal Rumble: Abi-Maria Gomes, Sierra Dawn Thomas, Cody Calafiore, Zach Rance, Brendon Villegas, Rachel Reilly and Caleb Reynolds.
6. For the Love of Fear: Corinne Olympios, Rachel Lindsay, Vanessa Grimaldi,Alexis Waters and Danielle Maltby.
7. Breaking The Internet: KWAY, La La, Tyler Oakley, JC Caylen and SSSniper Wolf.
8. Battle of The Bands: Misterwives.
9. The Shoredown: Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi, Paul “Pauly D” Delvecchio, Deena Nicole Cortese, Ronnie Ortiz-Magro, Jeremiah Buoni, Nilsa Prowant, Aimee Hall and Kirk Medas.
10. Music Star ShowDown: Timeflies, Bea Miller and Drake Bell.
Either I'm getting old, or they're really scraping the bottom of the barrell. The only "celebrities" I recognize there are the ones from Big Brother (which is really specialized knowledge), the Jersey Shore goons (never warched it, only know it about via pop culture osmosis), and the two guys from Jackass.
Old 07-17-18, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LaxBandit
MTV Star Battle: Romeo Miller, Cara Maria, Chris ‘C.T.’ Tamburello, Tori Deal and Jordan Wiseley.
Thrill Seeker Throwdown: Chris Pontius and Bam Margera.
Reality TV Royal Rumble: Abi-Maria Gomes, Sierra Dawn Thomas, Cody Calafiore, Zach Rance, Brendon Villegas, Rachel Reilly and Caleb Reynolds.
Breaking The Internet: La La.
The Shoredown: Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi, Paul “Pauly D” Delvecchio, Deena Nicole Cortese, Ronnie Ortiz-Magro.
Music Star ShowDown: Drake Bell.
Thats a listing of who I've heard of. I've watch the Challenges, Jackass, Survivor, Big Brother and Jersey Shore so I've heard of all those people. Romeo Miller is "Little Bow Wow" so I've seen him in "Like Mike" movie and on "Dancing With The Stars". I'm a Syracuse/New York Knicks fan so I know who La La is - wife of Carmelo Anthony. Yes, I'll admit I watch his show on Nickelodeon so I know who Drake Bell (The Drake of "Drake and Josh".) is. So I'll definiately be watching those episodes that I listed above.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 07-17-18 at 11:00 PM.