DVD Talk
The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue 5/26 [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue 5/26

JZ1276
04-10-17, 08:51 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beatles-prep-massive-sgt-pepper-50th-anniversary-sets-w474974

The Beatles will celebrate the 50th anniversary of their groundbreaking album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band with several reissue packages arriving May 26th.

A new stereo mix of the album will be available as a single CD and as part of every other package. An expanded deluxe edition will be released digitally, as a two-CD set or two-LP vinyl package. A super deluxe six-disc box set will also be available.

All three deluxe editions of Sgt. Pepper will boast previously unreleased complete takes of all 13 album tracks. The deluxe CD and digital versions will also include new stereo mixes: a previously unreleased instrumental take of "Penny Lane" and two unreleased takes of "Strawberry Fields Forever."

The super deluxe box set come with all of the aforementioned CDs, plus 33 more recordings from the Sgt. Pepper sessions, most of which have never been released and were newly mixed from the four-track session tapes. A fourth disc will include early, unreleased mono mixes of several songs and a direct transfer of the album's original mono mix. Discs five and six will boast surround-sound audio mixes of the album on Blu-ray and DVD, as well as promo films for several tracks and a restored version of the rare 1992 documentary, The Making of Sgt. Pepper.

The super deluxe package will also come with a 144-page hardcover book featuring a new introduction from Paul McCartney and producer Giles Martin, who newly mixed the reissue with Sam Okell. The book will explore every facet of Sgt. Pepper, from its songs and legendary cover art to musical innovations and historical context. Beatles historian Kevin Howlett, composer and musicologist Howard Goodall, producer Joe Boyd and journalists Ed Vulliamy and Jeff Slate all contributed to the book. A 50-page abridged booklet will be available in the two-CD deluxe edition.

Track Lists:

CD
(Sgt. Pepper 2017 Stereo Mix)
1. " Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
2. " With A Little Help From My Friends"
3. " Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"
4. " Getting Better"
5. " Fixing A Hole"
6. " She's Leaving Home"
7. " Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!"
8. " Within You Without You"
9. " When I'm Sixty-Four"
10. "Lovely Rita"
11. "Good Morning Good Morning"
12. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"
13. "A Day In The Life"

Deluxe [2CD, digital]
CD 1
Sgt. Pepper 2017 Stereo Mix

CD 2
1. " Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" [Take 9]
2. " With A Little Help From My Friends" [Take 1 - False Start And Take 2 – Instrumental]
3. " Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" [Take 1]
4. " Getting Better" [Take 1 - Instrumental And Speech At The End]
5. " Fixing A Hole" [Speech And Take 3]
6. " She's Leaving Home" [Take 1 – Instrumental]
7. " Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!" [Take 4]
8. " Within You Without You" [Take 1 - Indian Instruments]
9. " When I'm Sixty-Four" [Take 2]
10. "Lovely Rita" [Speech And Take 9]
11. "Good Morning Good Morning" [Take 8]
12. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)" [Take 8]
13. "A Day In The Life" [Take 1 With Hummed Last Chord]
14. "Strawberry Fields Forever" [Take 7]
15. "Strawberry Fields Forever" [Take 26]
16. "Strawberry Fields Forever" [Stereo Mix - 2015]
17. "Penny Lane" [Take 6 - Instrumental]
18. "Penny Lane" [Stereo Mix - 2017]

Deluxe Vinyl
LP 1

LP 2 (Complete early takes from the sessions in the same sequence as the album)
Side A
1. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" [Take 9 And Speech]
2. "With A Little Help From My Friends" [Take 1 - False Start And Take 2 – Instrumental]
3. "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" [Take 1]
4. "Getting Better" [Take 1 - Instrumental And Speech At The End]
5. "Fixing A Hole" [Speech And Take 3]
6. "She's Leaving Home" [Take 1 – Instrumental]
7. "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!" [Take 4]

Side B
1. "Within You Without You" [Take 1 - Indian Instruments]
2. "When I'm Sixty-Four" [Take 2]
3. "Lovely Rita" [Speech And Take 9]
4. "Good Morning Good Morning" [Take 8]
5. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (Reprise) [Take 8]
6. "A Day In The Life" [Take 1 With Hummed Last Chord]

Super Deluxe [4CD/DVD/Blu-ray box set]
CD 1

CD 2 (Complete early takes from the sessions, sequenced in chronological order of their first recording dates)
1. "Strawberry Fields Forever" [Take 1]
2. "Strawberry Fields Forever" [Take 4]
3. "Strawberry Fields Forever" [Take 7]
4. "Strawberry Fields Forever" [Take 26]
5. "Strawberry Fields Forever" [Stereo Mix - 2015]
6. "When I'm Sixty-Four" [Take 2]
7. "Penny Lane" [Take 6 – Instrumental]
8. "Penny Lane" [Vocal Overdubs And Speech]
9. "Penny Lane" [Stereo Mix - 2017]
10. "A Day In The Life" [Take 1]
11. "A Day In The Life" [Take 2]
12. "A Day In The Life" [Orchestra Overdub]
13. "A Day In The Life" (Hummed Last Chord) [Takes 8, 9, 10 and 11]
14. "A Day In The Life" (The Last Chord)
15. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" [Take 1 – Instrumental]
16. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" [Take 9 And Speech]
17. "Good Morning Good Morning" [Take 1 - Instrumental, Breakdown]
18. "Good Morning Good Morning" [Take 8]

CD 3 (Complete early takes from the sessions, sequenced in chronological order of their first recording dates)
1. "Fixing A Hole" [Take 1]
2. "Fixing A Hole" [Speech And Take 3]
3. "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!" [Speech From Before Take 1; Take 4 And Speech At End]
4. "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!" [Take 7]
5. "Lovely Rita" [Speech And Take 9]
6. "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" [Take 1 And Speech At The End]
7. "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" [Speech, False Start And Take 5]
8. "Getting Better" [Take 1 - Instrumental And Speech At The End]
9. "Getting Better" [Take 12]
10. "Within You Without You" [Take 1 - Indian Instruments Only]
11. "Within You Without You" [George Coaching The Musicians]
12. "She's Leaving Home" [Take 1 – Instrumental]
13. "She's Leaving Home" [Take 6 – Instrumental]
14. "With A Little Help From My Friends" [Take 1 - False Start And Take 2 – Instrumental]
15. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)" [Speech And Take 8]

CD 4 (Sgt. Pepper and bonus tracks in Mono)
1-13: 2017 Direct Transfer of Sgt. Pepper Original Mono Mix
14. "Strawberry Fields Forever" [Original Mono Mix]
15. "Penny Lane" [Original Mono Mix]
16. "A Day In The Life" [Unreleased First Mono Mix]
17. "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" [Unreleased Mono Mix - No. 11]
18. "She's Leaving Home" [Unreleased First Mono Mix]
19. "Penny Lane" [Capitol Records U.S. Promo Single - Mono Mix]

DISCS 5 & 6 (Blu-ray & DVD)
Audio Features (both discs):
- New 5.1 Surround Audio mixes of 'Sgt. Pepper’ album and “Penny Lane,” plus 2015 5.1 Surround mix of “Strawberry Fields Forever” (Blu-ray: DTS HD Master Audio 5.1, Dolby True HD 5.1 / DVD: DTS Dolby Digital 5.1)

- High Resolution Audio versions of 2017 'Sgt. Pepper’ stereo mix and 2017 “Penny Lane” stereo mix, plus 2015 “Strawberry Fields Forever” hi res stereo mix (Blu-ray: LPCM Stereo 96KHz/24bit / DVD: LPCM Stereo)
Video Features (both discs):
- The Making of Sgt. Pepper [restored 1992 documentary film, previously unreleased]
- Promotional Films: "A Day In The Life;" "Strawberry Fields Forever;" "Penny Lane" [4K restored]

mphtrilogy
04-11-17, 08:37 AM
I'm in for the LP:

Deluxe Vinyl
LP 1

LP 2 (Complete early takes from the sessions in the same sequence as the album)
Side A
1. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" [Take 9 And Speech]
2. "With A Little Help From My Friends" [Take 1 - False Start And Take 2 – Instrumental]
3. "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" [Take 1]
4. "Getting Better" [Take 1 - Instrumental And Speech At The End]
5. "Fixing A Hole" [Speech And Take 3]
6. "She's Leaving Home" [Take 1 – Instrumental]
7. "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!" [Take 4]

DVD Josh
04-11-17, 09:28 AM
I just can't justify buying these super deluxe editions anymore. This is my second favorite Beatles record (behind MMT) but really we are talking mostly about alternate takes, many of which are captured on Anthology 1-3 (not the exact takes but similar).

I am curious how much different this mix will be from the recent 2007 reissues. I have never been crazy about those remixes although it is nice to hear the different instrumentation better.

Eddie W
04-11-17, 03:42 PM
I hate these bloated $150 super deluxe versions. Because they make the ONE thing I want out of this (The 5.1 Blu Ray mix) otherwise unavailable.

JZ1276
04-11-17, 03:46 PM
I hate these bloated $150 super deluxe versions. Because they make the ONE thing I want out of this (The 5.1 Blu Ray mix) otherwise unavailable.

Same here

Spiderbite
04-12-17, 10:05 AM
Here is a good write-up & interview on the set.

I highly recommend subscribing to this blog as well.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/feature/the-beatles-remixed-sgt-pepper-unveiled-at-abbey-road-studios/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+superdeluxeedition+%28Superdeluxeedition%29

stvn1974
04-12-17, 10:19 AM
I would pay $29.95 for the blu-ray but I would never listen to the alternate takes and I have the mono version of the original album which is my go to version.

Supermallet
04-12-17, 05:11 PM
There's a new digital mono transfer? I wonder if this is a flat transfer.

Alan Smithee
04-13-17, 12:28 AM
Crap, I wanted to get this but not for $125!

Jason
04-14-17, 08:15 AM
Compared to some of these sets, $125 isn't that bad.

Eddie W
04-14-17, 09:23 AM
Yeah, but there needs to be some mid-point. I would even pay $125 if it also included the vinyl. But I don't need two CD's of alternate takes and a DVD that duplicates the Blu. They should do what they did the the #1 package. Offer separate DVD/BD options and cut it down to two discs for about $50. Yet make this package available to the die hards who want to pony up the cash.

Still, I'm very curious about this. Especially after reading that link above where Martin states this is basically a stereo version of the mono. Without all the primitive 60's hard panning. And that the 5.1 mix is more in line with Love than the disappointing #1 Blu mixes.

Hell, I know I'm gonna buy this thing no matter what it costs......

Alan Smithee
04-14-17, 11:34 AM
I LIKE the hard panning :) The #1 set was worth the price, even though the stuff shot on video was at the wrong frame rate and the multi-channel mixes were nothing special.

Spiderbite
04-14-17, 01:17 PM
I want the alternate takes more than anything but I will wait to a substantial decrease in price before buying. It's not limited so I will just wait and see.

PhantomStranger
04-18-17, 10:00 PM
The set is overpriced and I won't be getting it, despite owning just about everything the Beatles have released.

Labels know the market for music on physical media is shrinking and have decided to soak hardcore fans until it's killed. We see this with just about every major legacy Rock act.

bacigalup
04-19-17, 10:44 AM
Compared to some of these sets, $125 isn't that bad.

As much as I would like to purchase this, $125 is still a huge chunk of money to
part with!

Instead, I pre ordered this from Amazon.co.uk for appx. £19:

http://i66.tinypic.com/302uerm.jpg

:D

stvn1974
04-19-17, 11:59 AM
I'll pay $5 for the blu-ray if anyone wants to sell it from their set.

Hokeyboy
04-19-17, 03:24 PM
Pre-ordered, more as a Beatles collector and for the 5.1 mixes and documentary than anything else (although I'm intrigued by the Giles Martin remixes).

Most if not all of those outtakes have been floating around the bootleg scene for decades.

Hokeyboy
04-19-17, 08:08 PM
Down to $118 at Amazon

hawk
05-02-17, 10:19 AM
I found out this morning in conjunction with this boxed set SiriusXM will be having a Beatles channel on May 18th.[looks like it's a permanent channel btw]

DVD Josh
05-02-17, 11:27 AM
I found out this morning in conjunction with this boxed set SiriusXM will be having a Beatles channel on May 18th.[looks like it's a permanent channel btw]

About time.

Lt Ripley
05-04-17, 10:38 AM
Sgt Pepper's and Star Wars. They did the whole album.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NYD3QtyEGGM?list=PL8s6sSjUyaxUk3mCUqiNuJiMNxs9QdthO" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vader's here!

cdollaz
05-04-17, 10:51 AM
The set is overpriced and I won't be getting it, despite owning just about everything the Beatles have released.

Labels know the market for music on physical media is shrinking and have decided to soak hardcore fans until it's killed. We see this with just about every major legacy Rock act.

Yeah, it seems the pricing is either very high or quite reasonable. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

So while this Beatles set is ridiculously priced, the upcoming Purple Rain set is only $32 right now on Amazon.

nando820
05-04-17, 12:08 PM
really want the 5.1 mix but not paying over $100 to get it. Same with the Pink Floyd Immersion set. It was cheaper to buy the SACD and a player to play that in than getting that set.
Its fucking ridiculous, blu-ray movies with Atmos mixes can be had for less than 10 bucks yet 5.1 mixes of albums are not only hard to find but amazingly expensive.

Also when is Let it Be going to be released! fucking McCarthney he probably doesn't want people to see how bossy he was with the others

Rypro 525
05-08-17, 06:00 PM
For those that want samples, itunes has Sgt Peppers pt 1 and With a Little Help. As someone that HATES the hard panning on the 87 stereo mixes, especially on headphones, these samples are music to the ears and sound great in my mind
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-deluxe-edition/id1229303803

Rypro 525
05-11-17, 11:57 PM
I remember hearing a story on i think the Anhology documentary that before the big orchestra part on Day in the Life was recorded, they actually had someone counting down in the background (maybe George Martin) and that explains the ringer . And one of the takes has Lennon faintly saying 'fuck' after missing a cue. I'm sure those will be on the super deluxe cd verison

Spiderbite
05-25-17, 10:50 AM
unboxing video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5ARMRFoLcBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CRM114
05-26-17, 02:11 PM
If the big box had the vinyl, I'd have bought it because I really wanted it. I did pay $120 for the Dead's Cornell '77 5LP box but that never existed on vinyl before. And who doesn't have Sgt Peppers already? (I did buy the vinyl to add to my existing 5-or-so copies.)

McCartney irritates the hell out of me. His ticket prices are insane, their merchandise is premium priced, all for shit everyone owns already and he and Ringo certainly don't need the money. Pure greed. How about giving some fans a break, Paul?

Supermallet
05-26-17, 02:22 PM
I received the deluxe box today and I love the remix, although Fixing a Hole and Mr. Kite sound harsh. The rest sounds really good. I already have the 2014 mono on vinyl so I'm not bothering with the vinyl release of this. I still have to go through all the outtakes but the packaging is gorgeous and there's a lot of content on there. It's not as good of a price per disc ratio as the upcoming Purple Rain release, but it's The Beatles so a premium is expected.

dtcarson
05-26-17, 02:29 PM
Digital version of the deluxe, I think, is available on either Amazon Prime Music or Amazon Music Unlimited. I know it's not as good as the physical copy but I did get to listen to it today while working.

There was a cool podcast interview with the guy who did the mixing, who's the son of the guy who did the mixing on the original album, on 'All Songs Considered' recently. Had some then-and-now comparison audio.

Pretty pricey configuration though.

GuessWho
05-26-17, 03:16 PM
Spotify also has the equivalent of the 2-cd deluxe version.

slop101
05-26-17, 06:44 PM
People, or rather, audiophiles are complaining that this Sgt. Pepper release has the lowest dynamic range of any other SP release - not necessarily squashed in general, just in comparison to all other SP releases.

mphtrilogy
05-26-17, 06:53 PM
It is awesome
https://i.imgur.com/5BAaLF0.jpg

Supermallet
05-26-17, 07:52 PM
People, or rather, audiophiles are complaining that this Sgt. Pepper release has the lowest dynamic range of any other SP release - not necessarily squashed in general, just in comparison to all other SP releases.

Yeah, it's DR8 compared to DR12 for I assume the 2009 stereo remaster. The other discs are less squashed. No idea why they felt the need to limit it so much, but other than Mr. Kite and Fixing A Hole, I didn't find it to be an issue.

Rypro 525
05-26-17, 11:24 PM

This may be the first time i can actually feel the bass and i've heard this album many many times, so if its bricked, I'll allow it! I have the 2014 mono but my player could def use an upgrade, though even w the lackluster player it does sound better than the 2009 mono and the 2009 stereo

slop101
05-26-17, 11:39 PM
This may be the first time i can actually feel the bass and i've heard this album many many times, so if its bricked, I'll allow it! I have the 2014 mono but my player could def use an upgrade, though even w the lackluster player it does sound better than the 2009 mono and the 2009 stereoVinyl or CD?

Rypro 525
05-27-17, 12:20 AM
Vinyl or CD?

CD. i pretty much have each CD release (87, 09 and now 17), and the 2014 mono vinyl.

Eddie W
05-27-17, 10:52 AM
I haven't made it to the CD's yet, but the 5.1 lossless mix on the Blu Ray sounds absolutely fantastic. You get the option of DTS-Master, Dolby True HD, or high resolution 96/24 PCM stereo. This alone was worth the price of the deluxe version.

Raul3
05-28-17, 11:01 AM
Got tickets for this:

THE BEATLES - SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND
Synopsis: THE BEATLES invite you to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND. Hear the iconic album in its
entriety now mixed in DOLBY ATMOS by Giles Martin. DOLBY ATMOS transports you into the story with breathtaking, moving audio that fills the cinema and flows all around you. This is you only chance to hear this incredible new mix.

This is at the Metreon in SF.

Ringmaster
05-28-17, 11:03 AM
For the 2017 stereo remix, did they speed up "She's Leaving Home" to match the Mono version?

Why So Blu?
05-28-17, 11:08 AM
A friend of mine has this and says the BD is phenomenal.

Hiro11
05-28-17, 11:15 AM
This thing sounds great to me. It's definitely a more "modern" mix, it sounds extremely punchy and detailed. In particular, the bottom end is extremely deep and clean. I think they did a good job.

Decker
05-28-17, 12:32 PM
So I was listening to this. I had a question :
When Paul sings "If I've been out til Quarter to Three/Would you lock the door?", what does he mean?
Is he asking if she will lock him out if he's out too late? Or will she lock the door behind him once he gets back in? If so, why doesn't he just lock his own damn door, is he too drunk to do it? Is that even a good thing if she did? I really don't know what he is getting at.

Franchot
05-28-17, 12:55 PM
So I was listening to this. I had a question :
When Paul sings "If I've been out til Quarter to Three/Would you lock the door?", what does he mean?

As a drunk old geezer down at the pub almost every night you're going to get locked out of your house because your mates down at the pub matter more than being at home with your old lady at a respectable hour.

Rypro 525
05-28-17, 06:46 PM
For the 2017 stereo remix, did they speed up "She's Leaving Home" to match the Mono version?

i have the mono version on the itunes (via the 2009 version) runtime is 3:30. runtime on the new remix is 3:26

Ringmaster
05-30-17, 05:07 PM
John and Paul's voices sound similar to the Mono version?

stvn1974
05-30-17, 05:37 PM
Didn't really care for the remix. The mono for each of the Beatles(exept for The White Album) and Bob Dylan albums are my go to. My friend is going to let me borrow his BD so I can listen to the surround. Glad I didn't spend $150 on this as the alternate takes are of no interest to me.

Eddie W
05-30-17, 10:10 PM
John and Paul's voices sound similar to the Mono version?

Yes, this new remix is almost an exact replica of the mono version. Except in stereo. She's leaving home is in correct pitch. All the subtle differences are here. It just sounds much, much, better. Especially lossless form on the Blu Ray.

Giles
06-01-17, 10:31 PM
in regards to the Dolby Atmos mix, my face was on the floor - I have yet to listen to the 5.1 version, but the Atmos version was simply amazing. Purists will balk over this since the mono mix is the 'original' mix, but to reinterpret how and where music in object based mixing, implemented over some 64 speakers on a cinema theater setup would sound, it was a stunner. I would be very interested in your thoughts of the mix Raul3.

Supermallet
06-05-17, 03:34 AM
Didn't really care for the remix. The mono for each of the Beatles(exept for The White Album) and Bob Dylan albums are my go to. My friend is going to let me borrow his BD so I can listen to the surround. Glad I didn't spend $150 on this as the alternate takes are of no interest to me.

You prefer the mono mixes of Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde? The stereo versions of those are my preferred, but it's mono all the way for the first four records and JWH.

slop101
06-05-17, 08:17 AM
Didn't really care for the remix. The mono for each of the Beatles(exept for The White Album) and Bob Dylan albums are my go to. My friend is going to let me borrow his BD so I can listen to the surround. Glad I didn't spend $150 on this as the alternate takes are of no interest to me.Which mono?

I guess there's new 2017 mono versions that are improvements on the previous ones.

Supermallet
06-05-17, 11:09 AM
The only 2017 mono release is of Sgt. Pepper on CD and it's the same mastering as the 2009 mono, but a new transfer to CD. Some people on SHF feel the new transfer is better, some feel the 2009 is.

nando820
06-06-17, 12:17 PM
please let me know when this new release makes it to YouTube

Hokeyboy
06-06-17, 01:53 PM
I got a chuckle out of this on a Beatles Facebook group this morning.

The TL;DR version: guy bought the Deluxe box set, opened it up and, to his horror, he thought they sent him the vinyl version instead of the 4 CD/DVD/Blu Ray version (the CDs/Blu Ray/DVD come packaged in replica vinyl album packaging). Without even bothering to open it, he ships the whole thing back to Amazon and wonders if this happened to anyone else...

http://i.imgur.com/BqkEaKl.jpg

Supermallet
06-06-17, 02:03 PM
What happened when people told him he had received the correct set after all?

TerryW
06-06-17, 02:24 PM
I will never pay these ridiculous price-gouging amounts when other labels are releasing similar products for $30-$40. Jethro Tull, Marillion. If I can get this for $40 fine otherwise I'll just listen to my countless Beatles bootlegs.

Hokeyboy
06-06-17, 02:29 PM
What happened when people told him he had received the correct set after all?
He was surprisingly good-natured and self-effacing about the entire ordeal, in the "well that's not the DUMBEST thing I've ever done... but close" vein.

Of course FB being FB, that didn't stop complete strangers from engaging in Shitcock mode and calling him a moron fuckface...

Hokeyboy
06-06-17, 02:31 PM
I will never pay these ridiculous price-gouging amounts when other labels are releasing similar products for $30-$40. Jethro Tull, Marillion. If I can get this for $40 fine otherwise I'll just listen to my countless Beatles bootlegs.
Which reminds me, I need to pick up that Songs From The Wood deluxe set. :up:

Rypro 525
06-08-17, 08:30 PM

the new Purple Rain box set which is 3 cds and a live dvd is $24 and change from amazon

Jack Straw
06-10-17, 07:15 PM
I had been postponing opening this up until my birthday in mid-July, however I just coudn't wait any longer. I'm weak. Put on the blu-ray 5.1 disc first and listened in DTS. It's a very clean well mixed sounding presentation. This is an album that I will no doubt listen to again and again, loud. It also includes remixed 5.1 versions of SFF and Penny Lane which were recorded at the front end of the Sgt. Peppers sessions. I also watched the video of the making of Sgt. Pepper's on the same disc and thought it was very well done. I haven't yet listened to the two discs of outtakes, but what I did hear was pure ear-candy. All of the extras (book, poster, Sgt. Peppers cut-out poster) were superb. Also, the 3-D box set cover is amazing. I highly recommend this box set for Beatles fans of any degree or variety.

I was flirting with the idea of picking up Paul's Flowers In The Dirt box set but decided to pass, a decision which I'm not regretting based on what was included. I wouldn't mind hearing that 3rd disc of studio demos though. I bought the 2-CD version on ebay for $10 with the original acoustic demos.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0