Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dave Chappelle - two Netflix specials - Deep in the Heart of Texas / The Age of Spin

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dave Chappelle - two Netflix specials - Deep in the Heart of Texas / The Age of Spin

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 07:02 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="663" height="407" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OaRBPXLgKyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

These two specials are now up on Netflix.
Old 03-21-17, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Dave Chappelle - two Netflix specials - Deep in the Heart of Texas / The Age of S

Can't wait. I still think he's the best of this generation (Louis CK, Chris Rock).

I didn't catch the whole interview he did on one of the morning shows about leaving Hollywood, but I hope he incorporates it in his act.
Old 03-23-17, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Dave Chappelle - two Netflix specials - Deep in the Heart of Texas / The Age of S

watched one of them so far, and it was great.
Old 03-23-17, 09:21 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Watched the first one last night. B-

The material just doesn't generate many laughs. Setups are lengthy and then the punchline is like, "It wasn't worth listening to that setup if that's all the payoff you've got." The material he did on SNL a few weeks ago was much better.
Old 03-23-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Watched the LA special, which was similar content to a show of his I saw locally last year. Still entertaining; can't wait to watch the 2nd.
Old 03-23-17, 09:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm staying away from both, since I'm seeing him next Friday at ACL. Then I'll see them after. Which is funny because I had no idea one of the specials was filmed at ACL until I looked at them on Netflix. I have no idea when he taped it since I thought the last show he did was during Oddball. That was a good show as well. A bit unfocused and weird, but still good.
Old 03-23-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure when the 2nd one was filmed but during the LA show he mentioned Gary Shandling passing that week. So it was a while ago.
Old 03-23-17, 10:02 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

He was on Kimmel a couple of nights ago and Kimmel confirmed he was paid $60 million to do 3 specials. Thing is, he filmed 2 a while ago and just pulled them out and gave it to them, including the one in Austin. Yeah, I don't think it was too long ago, definitely in the past year I would think.
Old 03-23-17, 10:19 AM

I hope they offer him the chance to do a new sketch show.
Old 03-23-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I doubt he wants to. Seems like that whole ordeal with CC turned him off of doing regular tv again. Unless he has recently said otherwise.
Old 03-23-17, 10:29 AM

But being on Netflix is different than on Comedy Central.
Old 03-23-17, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm anxious to see where he goes from here. He told Kimmel he hated Fame when he did the CC show in the mid 00's. He said he is trying to enjoy himself, but he still looked uncomfortable even on a show like Kimmel the other night.

I think Chappelle would be happy if he had a Steven Wright type of career where you have a sort of cult fanbase but not mainstream. I think guys like Chappelle and Norm McDonald don't like being mainstream cause you have to sell-out yourself to avoid controversy. Amy Schumer is a perfect example of a comic that sold out to be more mainstream as I don't think she's remotely funny anymore.
Old 03-23-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sadly, i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't do much, if any TV work after the three specials. That being said, the Walking Dead skit when he was on Saturday Night Live was classic Chappelle show. Would love to see it come back in some form.
Old 03-23-17, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chappelle is a talent.

I would love to see him in a late night talk show scenario (Jimmy Fallon sucks). This will never happen though.
Old 03-23-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy shit, watched the L.A. special last night and died laughing. Chappelle's lack of fucks makes this one a blast because he nails so many hot-button topics and likely offends every Millennial in the audience in the process. He did a great job of weaving social commentary, history, and politics into his jokes, too. Really sharp, smart stuff.
Old 03-25-17, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Oh man. I had to drag myself to start this (not big on stand up specials). This is top tier stuff. You guys should watch.
Old 03-25-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still love when he busts out laughing at one of his jokes, only a few comedians can get away with that.

The Bill Cosby stuff was very interesting as I can understand him being conflicted. And the whole Kevin Hart bit was great too!
Old 03-25-17, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect "disappointed" would be a better word than "conflicted". It's a discussion I see from time to time in various avenues of life. How much do you overlook in terms of bad behavior to get the good? It's always subjective. But I doubt Chappelle feels we should overlook Cosby's rapes because of all the good he's done. He just not willing to completely forget the good.

I actually watched several specials recently... Jim Norton, Amy Schumer, and Dave Chappelle (2). I enjoyed Chappelle far more than the others.
Old 03-25-17, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC
How much do you overlook in terms of bad behavior to get the good? It's always subjective. But I doubt Chappelle feels we should overlook Cosby's rapes because of all the good he's done. He just not willing to completely forget the good.
I agree as I think his point is that Cosby should not be erased from history, as that seems to be the way the media and people in general react today.

Nick at Night stopped showing the Cosby Show reruns, is that the proper reaction? Heck, Nick at Night stopped showing Dukes of Hazzard reruns because it had a Confederate flag on the car.

Chappelle talked about how the Millennials have no sense of history because of Social Media. They have too much thrown at them everyday they don't digest everything.

Not all history is good but that doesn't mean you just ignore it. Cosby is a scumbag for what he did but it doesn't erase the fact that The Cosby Show was a landmark Show for the Black Family that EVERYONE loved.
Old 03-25-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Nick at Night stopped showing the Cosby Show reruns, is that the proper reaction? Heck, Nick at Night stopped showing Dukes of Hazzard reruns because it had a Confederate flag on the car.
That's unfortunate. Both of those shows are way better when you consider the context.

Old 03-26-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Holy shit, watched the L.A. special last night and died laughing. Chappelle's lack of fucks makes this one a blast because he nails so many hot-button topics and likely offends every Millennial in the audience in the process. He did a great job of weaving social commentary, history, and politics into his jokes, too. Really sharp, smart stuff.
Agree 100% with the above.

We watched both shows last night. Back to back. They were amazing.
Old 03-26-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Both specials were gold. One of the best comedians ever.
Old 03-27-17, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 03-27-17, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
dis is pussy juice
Old 03-28-17, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I've watched both now, very funny. Some of the best I've seen in a while.

Can't believe he had both of those from 2015 and 2016 in the can.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.