Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Making History (FOX) -- S: Pally, Meester -- Time Travel Comedy -- 3/5/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-17, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Making History (FOX) -- S: Pally, Meester -- Time Travel Comedy -- 3/5/17

**SERIES PREMIERE**--"MAKING HISTORY" - (8:30-9:00 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1 -

A TIME-TRAVELING MAN WREAKS HAVOC ON THE ALL-NEW SERIES PREMIERE OF "MAKING HISTORY" SUNDAY, MARCH 5, ON FOX

Having recently discovered time travel, Dan (Adam Pally, "The Mindy Project," "Happy Endings"), a facilities manager at a small Massachusetts college, has been transporting himself back to the 1700s to spend time with the colonial woman for whom he's fallen. In the present, Dan is misunderstood by all, and anxious that life is passing him by. But in the 18th century, he's absolutely hilarious - he gets the girl and makes friends. But Dan's actions in the past are messing up the present. That woman he's dating is not just any woman. She's Paul Revere's daughter, Deborah (Leighton Meester, "Gossip Girl"), and Dan's meddling causes her father to delay his famous ride, which may have altered the outcome of the entire American Revolution. To set matters right, Dan enlists the help of Chris (Yassir Lester, "Girls," "Key and Peele"), a brilliant, polished and popular history professor at the college, who's now given the incredible opportunity to actually live the history he teaches in the all-new "Pilot" series premiere episode of MAKING HISTORY airing Sunday, March 5 (8:30-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (MH-101) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Cast: Adam Pally as Dan, Leighton Meester as Deborah, Yassir Lester as Chris, John Gemberling as John Hancock, Neil Casey as Sam Adams

Guest Cast: Matthew Servitto as Paul Revere, Sean Clements as Dean Wiley

9 episode 1st season

This is from the Producers of Last Man on Earth & 21 Jump Street (Lord and Miller)

Trailer:

Most new comedies get torn apart here. Judging from the early promos, this could either be fun and campy or absolutely terrible.

What is it with time travel this TV season?
Old 03-05-17, 09:46 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Making History (FOX) -- S: Pally, Meester -- Time Travel Comedy -- 3/5/17

I liked it. Will continue to watch as long as there aren't any time slot conflicts.
Old 03-05-17, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Wasn't too bad for a pilot. I'll stick around for a while to see what it turns into.
Old 03-06-17, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Really liked it. I'll be in for the rest of the season.

"In 2016 white people and black people are friends?" "Yeah." "No."
Old 03-06-17, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I liked it
Old 03-06-17, 08:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I like Adam Pally but his humor felt kinda dry and forced ... but I enjoyed it. I swear I thought Yassir Lester's 'Chris' was going to break out in rap ('Hamilton' in-joke) in the Tavern
Old 03-06-17, 08:30 AM

I got a good laugh at him quoting Friday...and then following up with the "white movie" Jerry Maguire.
Old 03-06-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this not make sense?

Dan goes back in time and causes the American Revolution to not happen. So he goes to get Chris from the no-american revolution present and brings him back to help, where Chris has knowledge of the american revolution and the founding fathers as he mentions. Why would Chris have that knowledge if there never were founding fathers because the american revolution didn't happen.

I know, it's a sit-com, but they broke time travel continuity within the first few minutes unless I missed something.
Old 03-06-17, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah, that was one thing I didn't really understand.
Old 03-07-17, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I enjoyed this. Not a lot of funny jokes, which some would say is indicative of a bad comedy, but the overall plot is exactly what I love about time travel stories.

I'm in.

Sidebar: And oddly enough, I have no interest in watching Time After Time (the other time travel show that premiered). I originally had interest when it was announced, but every time I hear the name HG Wells, I think of that "Time Machine" movie with Guy Pearce. I hated that movie so much.

"Timeless" and this show

Edit- just read the rest of the posts in this thread. You're right, there should have been an alternate timeline haha

Last edited by MLBFan24; 03-07-17 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-07-17, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Enjoyable, fun stuff for a pilot. I can't believe Leighton Meester is stuck doing disposable comedy shows already in her career. She was the only reason I gave this show a shot.
Old 03-07-17, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Did this not make sense?

Dan goes back in time and causes the American Revolution to not happen. So he goes to get Chris from the no-american revolution present and brings him back to help, where Chris has knowledge of the american revolution and the founding fathers as he mentions. Why would Chris have that knowledge if there never were founding fathers because the american revolution didn't happen.

I know, it's a sit-com, but they broke time travel continuity within the first few minutes unless I missed something.
Yea it was pretty weird, although Dan pointed out how Starbucks was selling tea and that kid was eating fish and chips so it's like the effects of the past were getting slowly integrated into the future?
Old 03-07-17, 07:15 AM

Did this not make sense?

Old 03-07-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Did this not make sense?

His logic was because Starbucks advertised that they served tea. The revolution likely happened regardless, just with some details changed.
Old 03-08-17, 06:23 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

But didn't Chris still know the specific date that Revere was supposed to do his famous ride? Obviously he couldn't have known the date if it didn't actually happen on that date in the altered timeline.
Old 03-08-17, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Sidebar: And oddly enough, I have no interest in watching Time After Time (the other time travel show that premiered). I originally had interest when it was announced, but every time I hear the name HG Wells, I think of that "Time Machine" movie with Guy Pearce. I hated that movie so much.
You should be thinking Rod Taylor; then you wouldn't have to hate a movie with that name.
Old 03-12-17, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Didn't care for the second episode, but at least the American Revolution storyline is wrapped up.

Will continue to watch, hoping to see more of Deborah in present day or future shenanigans.
Old 03-23-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the third episode, although I didn't need to see Pally as Cher. I'll stick around for the season, it's a pretty good show.
Old 03-29-17, 02:36 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This show is so damn funny. Too bad it's going to get cancelled.
Old 03-29-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hated the ice cream episode. But Leighton Meester is so damn irresistible, so I couldn't turn off the episode!

She's a 24 alumni!
Old 03-29-17, 09:49 AM

I haven't liked any other episodes as much as the pilot. I'll stick with it since it is only 9 episodes and in a time slot with no current conflicts.... and Leighton Meester.
Old 03-29-17, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I'll go till the end but it gets less interesting each show.
Old 03-29-17, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

My thoughts exactly. Each episode has been less impressive than the preceding one. It only took them three episodes to basically transform the 18th Century character into just another 21st Century person.