Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Legion (S1E04) -- "Chapter 4" -- 3/1/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 07:29 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Legion (S1E04) -- "Chapter 4" -- 3/1/17

"Chapter 4" (Airs March 1, 10:00 pm e/p) - David's in trouble, while his friends search for answers. Written by Nathaniel Halpern; directed by Larysa Kondracki.
4 of 8
Old 03-02-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Legion (S1E04) -- "Chapter 4" -- 3/1/17

That was nuts.
Old 03-02-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did I just watch?

50% of the time I am lost and the other 50% I am still lost.

So everyone is looking for David and David is looking for his sister. Is that even right? People are other people. Giant ice cube meets Flight of the Conchords.

Someone enter my mind and help me!

Last edited by Ayre; 03-03-17 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 04:29 PM

I have no fucking clue.
Old 03-02-17, 04:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

this show looks beautiful and I wish I was smart enough to watch and enjoy it, but alas, I'm not, so bye.
Old 03-02-17, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by TGM
this show looks beautiful and I wish I was smart enough to watch and enjoy it, but alas, I'm not, so bye.
I feel the same way. I'll stick with it for the full 8 episodes though.
Old 03-02-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm not seeing what is hard to understand... Seems simple enough for the most part to me at least. Maybe you're just overthinking it.

There is what we are to believe is reality, his dream world, and an astral world/dimension which he somehow found his way into while in his dream-state. The 'bad' guys are hunting for him. The 'good guys' are still trying to find out about his past to help him currently when he returns. While his goal is to rescue his sister that was taken. He has some parasitic creature in his head that may or may not have been created by him out of his worst fears, and he's taken his real memories and hid them elsewhere while recreating similar, yet fake memories to cover them up seemlessly (except for the stitches/glitches as we've caught at times). Then there is the ordeal of Benny and Lenny. Everyone in his old life knew of Benny, so they suspected Lenny was a fake coverup, but then that doesn't explain David's new girlfriend knowing that she killed Lenny (not a Benny). Though I suppose Lenny could have been created due to his powers and projected into the real world, idk the Lenny/Benny issue was about the only thing I wasn't fully sure about due to David's girlfriend. The guy in the astral world, they made it seem like he's the guy frozen in the scuba gear back in 'reality'.

I'm enjoying the show.

Last edited by Koby; 03-02-17 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
I'm not seeing what is hard to understand... Seems simple enough for the most part to me at least. Maybe you're just overthinking it.

There is what we are to believe is reality, his dream world, and an astral world/dimension which he somehow found his way into while in his dream-state. The 'bad' guys are hunting for him. The 'good guys' are still trying to find out about his past to help him currently when he returns. While his goal is to rescue his sister that was taken. He has some parasitic creature in his head that may or may not have been created by him out of his worst fears, and he's taken his real memories and hid them elsewhere while recreating similar, yet fake memories to cover them up seemlessly (except for the stitches/glitches as we've caught at times). Then there is the ordeal of Benny and Lenny. Everyone in his old life knew of Benny, so they suspected Lenny was a fake coverup, but then that doesn't explain David's new girlfriend knowing that she killed Lenny (not a Benny). Though I suppose Lenny could have been created due to his powers and projected into the real world, idk the Lenny/Benny issue was about the only thing I wasn't fully sure about due to David's girlfriend. The guy in the astral world, they made it seem like he's the guy frozen in the scuba gear back in 'reality'.

I'm enjoying the show.
Unless none of it is real and it is all a delusion. We really don't know what's real and what's not at this point.
Old 03-02-17, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I've enjoyed the first three episodes very much, but this fourth episode struck me as being strange for the sake of being strange. It almost lost me, but I think I'll hang in for the final four episodes.
Old 03-03-17, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Unless none of it is real and it is all a delusion. We really don't know what's real and what's not at this point.
Hence the whole "what we are to believe is reality".
Old 03-03-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

it has taken me awhile to warm up to this show, but I am now enjoying the big WTF trip
Old 03-03-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought this episode was great. I'm looking forward to rewatching the season once it is done. I know I missed somethings.
Old 03-03-17, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Syd Barrett a call out to one of Pink Floyd's original band members (who did go a bit 'mental' in time)? I post this as I am about to Google.

Edit: yep (obviously)

Last edited by stopgap; 03-03-17 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

So was that the Shadow King in the astroplane? He had a cool vinyl record set-up.
Old 03-03-17, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
So was that the Shadow King in the astroplane? He had a cool vinyl record set-up.
Haha I noticed that too!
Old 03-04-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Unfortunately, I'm betting lots of viewers are bailing or have bailed. Trippy is Noah Hawley's style and I have faith it will pay off. The only thing that concerns me is that Fargo is self-contained stories each season so they do pay off at the end. I'm hoping Legion is the same way, although the story (characters) would have to continue in future seasons ...

I may not always know what I am watching, but I am loving the journey.
Old 03-04-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Unfortunately, I'm betting lots of viewers are bailing or have bailed.
Initially, I had no idea this was a Marvel property. I planned to record it just because it was a new show and I usually record new shows (except comedies). Finding out it was a Marvel property upped my interest to the point where I expected to watch it. But given my lack of viewing schedule space for new TV shows, I still planned to record a couple before starting. Then I came across a comment in one of the threads comparing it to Mr. Robot, a show I dropped because it drops viewers into psychosis as a significant part of the show, which is something I don't enjoy. I'm OK with ambiguity ("we haven't told you yet), but I don't like flagrant misdirection ("All that stuff we told you? Yeah, that didn't really happen."), especially if it's a significant part of the show.

At this point, I've read Legion has slick visuals and some nice moments, but even fans of the show seemingly have no idea what's going on. At this point, I'm still following the threads, but haven't watched yet. Given the givens, it feels more comfortable to wait and see if there's a payoff rather than investing all those hours with only the hope that it'll have a satisfying payoff. At the very least, if I eventually watch, I'll have a better idea what to expect.
Old 03-04-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I've enjoyed the first three episodes very much, but this fourth episode struck me as being strange for the sake of being strange. It almost lost me, but I think I'll hang in for the final four episodes.
Same here - this episode felt like pretentious bullshit for no motivated reason. Did not enjoy the episode at all.
Old 03-04-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Looks like the guy spinning vinyl in the astral plane is Oliver Bird and not the Shadow King. They are suggesting (the nerds) that the yellow eyed demon (the Mojo looking dude) is actually the Shadow King.
Old 03-04-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I think this is the most sophisticated material set in a comic book universe on television we've ever gotten.

I just binged the first four episodes and it requires constant engagement and a healthy amount of contextual background knowledge from the X-Men comics. I'm pretty sure I know what's happening with everyone but I would be utterly lost if I didn't know David's full powers from other entertainment mediums.

This may be too densely structured for casual viewers. For the people that are giving up, I would probably wait until it hits Netflix or whatever site. It's easier keeping up with the narrative in binge mode.

Putting all that aside, I really enjoy the show's tone and its cast. David and Sydney's relationship has been an interesting journey so far.
Old 03-06-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
Then there is the ordeal of Benny and Lenny. Everyone in his old life knew of Benny, so they suspected Lenny was a fake coverup, but then that doesn't explain David's new girlfriend knowing that she killed Lenny (not a Benny). Though I suppose Lenny could have been created due to his powers and projected into the real world, idk the Lenny/Benny issue was about the only thing I wasn't fully sure about due to David's girlfriend.
I think Lenny was real, and most of them think Lenny was real, but Lenny has been used to replace Benny in some of his memories. Most likely David met Lenny in the mental health hospital, and everything before that was "really" Benny.

Now, why would Benny be replaced with Lenny in David's memories? Because the "good guys" know that Lenny was real, and so don't question Lenny being there. If they knew about Benny from the beginning, they may have tried to seek him out, and they would've discovered that "Benny" probably isn't real.

This episode also mentions that David's pet dog King wasn't real either, and the man in the ice castle says David has a "parasite." I'm thinking this parasite has manifested as a dog and various "friends" to David over the years to persuade him to do certain things, and may even occasionally take over David to do things. David may have mentioned something about "Benny" to the shrink, which is why Benny had David later break in and destroy the tapes, and may have taken over David's body to beat the shrink when he discovered David in his office. The parasite is also what is editing David's memory, to keep people from finding out about it.
Old 03-06-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think this is the most sophisticated material set in a comic book universe on television we've ever gotten.

I just binged the first four episodes and it requires constant engagement and a healthy amount of contextual background knowledge from the X-Men comics. I'm pretty sure I know what's happening with everyone but I would be utterly lost if I didn't know David's full powers from other entertainment mediums.

This may be too densely structured for casual viewers. For the people that are giving up, I would probably wait until it hits Netflix or whatever site. It's easier keeping up with the narrative in binge mode.

Putting all that aside, I really enjoy the show's tone and its cast. David and Sydney's relationship has been an interesting journey so far.
I have none of the background. I haven't read comics since the 90s, and I don't know who the main character is at all.

I'm still loving it and enjoying the ride. I may stop reading the threads though because people's speculations about what character may be which sort of ruins the fun and mystery for me. I enjoy watching this as a blank slate.
Old 03-07-17, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shows like this are both a blessing and a curse when you live in a legal weed state.
Old 03-07-17, 10:32 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I have none of the background. I haven't read comics since the 90s, and I don't know who the main character is at all.

I'm still loving it and enjoying the ride. I may stop reading the threads though because people's speculations about what character may be which sort of ruins the fun and mystery for me. I enjoy watching this as a blank slate.
I'm in the same situation. I haven't read comics since the 90s so I have no idea what's going on. Still, it's creative and I'm into it. The best produced superhero show on TV.
Old 03-08-17, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0

I'm like you Spainlinx, I wouldn't even know this was based on a comic if it weren't for this thread. Although I disagree, the speculation here isn't running anything for me since I don't know any background. I also don't think it matters as the show has proven it is going to be it's own thing (unlike Walking Dead where they will "re-mix" characters but then come back and hold to the events of the comic).