Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore. (2017, w&d: Macon Blair) s: Lynskey, Wood

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore. (2017, w&d: Macon Blair) s: Lynskey, Wood

Old 02-26-17, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Highly recommend this film now available in Netflix. It is directed by Macon Blair and the film has the similar unpredictability and suspense as Jeremy Saulnier's Blue Ruin and Green Room.

It's about a cynical nursing assistant played hilariously by Melanie Lynskey whose house was broken into. She, with the help of a reclusive neighbor (Elijah Wood), further investigates and tracks whoever burglarized her home and it just escalates into batshit crazy territory from there.
Old 02-26-17, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
re: I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore. (2017, w&d: Macon Blair) s: Lynskey, Wood

I think the movie is called "I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore."

I added it to my Watch List yesterday.
Old 02-26-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
re: I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore. (2017, w&d: Macon Blair) s: Lynskey, Wood

I need to see this. Mostly because I absolutely love Macon Blair.
Old 07-28-17, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Finally sat and watched this ... wow, just wow. Maybe it is because I am at a point in life where I am fed up with assholes getting away with being assholes, but this hit a note with me.

I said it when I watched Green Room, but I am going to say it for a different reason now: Macon Blair is one to watch in Hollywood. I loved his acting in Green Room and I love this directorial and writing effort from him.

This is a very dark comedy that is cleverly written, phenomenally acted, and solidly put together.

One thing I didn't get or may have missed though:

Spoiler:
If Tony was dead, why was "he" grilling hamburgers and interacting with the other lady's husband? Or was he not dead?

My wife and daughters came home right at the end so I may have not been paying attention.

Mods, can we get the thread title corrected? Hopefully others will find this hidden gem!
Old 07-29-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Mods, can we get the thread title corrected? Hopefully others will find this hidden gem!
I guess since it's not a big tentpole movie, changing the title is low priority. I mentioned it five months ago, yet here we are.

Cannot specifically remember the answer to your question. I know I enjoyed the movie, though.
Old 07-29-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Oh wow. I've seen the icon on Netflix a thousand times. Didn't know it's a Macon Blair movie. Will watch this weekend.
Old 07-29-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I didn't get or may have missed though:

Spoiler:
If Tony was dead, why was "he" grilling hamburgers and interacting with the other lady's husband? Or was he not dead?
Spoiler:
He didn't die from his wounds. The halo that Ruth saw around him was probably a tie-in to the time they spent in church together earlier in the film, as well as a little nudge to make us think he died. It's a little confusing for sure!

Finally watched this today, I really enjoyed it. I've loved Macon Blair in everything I've seen him in as an Actor (Murder Party, Green Room, Blue Ruin, Gold) and I really hope he keeps Directing/Writing films as good as this one.

The tone of the film was perfect and I appreciate the careful mish-mash of messages as well as Genres. It really could have been a mess with everything that Blair has going on in this script but I think he nailed it. Solid casting as well!
Old 07-29-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks asianxcore! That is what I suspected, but I was distracted just enough that I wasn't sure.

If you are like Troy and have been passing over the icon (as I had been doing too), stop doing that! Watch this tonight! It was mentioned on a few of the podcasts I listen to, but I kept passing it by. Last night I finally stopped on it.

I'd describe it as a disciplined slow burn version of a Tarantino movie: quirky characters, a series of comically tragic events leading up to a bloody confluence, and a unique view of the world governed by fate.

I followed it up with Blue Ruin last night ... man, what a night of film! I'll search out that thread. Probably find it under "Blue Bad Outcomes" or "Melancholy Disaster".

Last edited by Abob Teff; 07-29-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 04:09 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts
Re: I Don't Feel Safe at Home Anymore - written & directed by Macon Blair

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I guess since it's not a big tentpole movie, changing the title is low priority. I mentioned it five months ago, yet here we are.
Yea... because that's the reason...
Use the report the post feature in the future. Making a comment in a thread doesn't mean it's going to be seen.
Old 07-29-17, 05:18 PM

Re: I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore. (2017, w&d: Macon Blair) s: Lynskey,

The movie is great and if you have Netflix you should absolutely check it out.

I don't know what it is about Melanie Lynskey, but even being on the larger side, I find her very attractive. Would bang.
Old 07-29-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore. (2017, w&d: Macon Blair) s: Lynskey,

Oh no. I'm like two minutes in and think the female character was based on my life.
Old 07-29-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
The movie is great and if you have Netflix you should absolutely check it out.

I don't know what it is about Melanie Lynskey, but even being on the larger side, I find her very attractive. Would bang.
Thanks for the fix Dex! And thank you for not changing it to "I Feel I Would Bang In This World".

And yes, I also found Lynskey to be very hot (I have a penchant for mousy, awkward women) in this ... and very talented. I don't know that I would say she was "on the larger side" (though I do love some curves as well) as much as Elijah Wood is just a pipsqueak. Add to that the fact that they played the size difference up in some scenes.

She conveyed every slight against her perfectly and mastered the moments where she decides she isn't going to take it anymore. Her see-sawing back and forth was honest and true. I've never seen her in anything so I had to look her up. Her biggest claim to fame seems to be Heavenly Creatures (which I haven't seen).
Old 07-29-17, 06:39 PM

Oh, I know her work well. You should check out Togetherness on HBO and Happy Christmas should still be on Netflix.
Old 07-29-17, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People should watch this.
Old 07-29-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Her biggest claim to fame seems to be Heavenly Creatures (which I haven't seen).
You really need to see it. Both her and Kate Winslet are outstanding in their film debuts. But no banging...she was 16 during filming.
Old 07-29-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: I Don't Feel Safe at Home Anymore - written & directed by Macon Blair

Originally Posted by dex14
Yea... because that's the reason...
Use the report the post feature in the future. Making a comment in a thread doesn't mean it's going to be seen.
At the time, I didn't realize the movie (and thread) would be pretty much ignored by members (myself included). I thought I had posted a positive comment after seeing it.
Old 07-30-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I also really like this movie.Have to watch again and see if I missed anything(spoiler I did)

Have to watch Small Crimes (2017)also written by Macon Blair.Besides Blair it has Nikolaj Coster-Waldau(Jaime Lannister).
He was great in another under the radar movie Shot Caller 2017 that I just recently watched and recommend.
Old 07-31-17, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
I also really like this movie.Have to watch again and see if I missed anything(spoiler I did)

Have to watch Small Crimes (2017)also written by Macon Blair.Besides Blair it has Nikolaj Coster-Waldau(Jaime Lannister).
He was great in another under the radar movie Shot Caller 2017 that I just recently watched and recommend.
2018 is giving us Hold The Dark, which is Written by Macon Blair and Directed by Jeremy Saulnier
Old 07-31-17, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asianxcore
2018 is giving us Hold The Dark, which is Written by Macon Blair and Directed by Jeremy Saulnier
Definitely something to look forward to watching.
Old 04-01-20, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore. (2017, w&d: Macon Blair) s: Lynskey, Wood

I watched this tonight. Finally, it was sitting in my queue for at least 2 years. I thought it was just alright 2/3's of the way through, then the last 30 minutes are crazy. Working with Jeremy Saulnier has rubbed off on Macon Blair...he loves some gory violence.