TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Breaks (VH1) -- 1990's set Hip Hop Music Drama -- Series Thread -- 2/20/17

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
The Breaks (VH1) -- 1990's set Hip Hop Music Drama -- Series Thread -- 2/20/17

Trailer:

VH1 today announced the network's highly anticipated new scripted series "The Breaks" will premiere on Monday, February 20th at 9PM ET/PT. The original film, which aired last year on VH1, followed three young friends fulfilling their hip hop dreams in New York City in 1990. The series continues to explore their triumphs and heartbreak trying to make their mark in a new and complex hip hop culture. "The Breaks" ranked as the #2 original cable movie of 2016 among adults 18-49.* Across all premiere night airings, it tallied 2.6 million total viewers.** Inspired by The Big Payback, a nonfiction history of the hip-hop business written by journalist Dan Charnas, "The Breaks" is executive produced by Seith Mann ("The Wire," "The Walking Dead," "Homeland") and John J. Strauss ("Mozart in the Jungle").

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Afton Williamson as Nikki Jones
· Antoine Harris as Ahmed "Ahm" Harris
· Cliff "Method Man" Smith as Darryl Van Puten, Sr.
· David Call as David Aaron
· Evan Handler as Jonah "Juggy" Aaron
· Mack Wilds as Daryl "DeeVee" Van Putten, Jr.
· Russell Hornsby as Sampson Green
· Wood Harris as Barry Fouray

The original Pilot (2 hour movie) aired on VH1 last year. This is the series.

If you missed the Pilot, it can be watched on demand or for free on the VH1.com or the App.

http://www.vh1.com/shows/the-breaks

I missed the Pilot last year, but will try to see it. I was a big fan of 1990's Hip Hop music during the 90's when I went to college. I'd like to see how they portray it in this show.
Old 02-20-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Breaks (VH1) -- 1990's set Hip Hop Music Drama -- Series Thread -- 2/20/17

I'd guess it'll be harder to do it worse than Netflix's The Get Down, but we'll see. I never saw the original movie.

I wish VH-1 would just re-air the movie, even if way off hours. Surely there's room in the schedule somewhere. It wouldn't have mattered to me when it aired as I'd just DVR it anyway (as I'll do the series).