Supergirl (S2E13) -- "Mr. & Mrs. Mxyzptlk" -- 2/20/17

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Supergirl (S2E13) -- "Mr. & Mrs. Mxyzptlk" -- 2/20/17

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20

SUPERGIRL

"Mr. & Mrs. Mxyzptlk" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

DC COMICS' MR. MXYZPTLK HITS NATIONAL CITY - When Mr. Mxyzptlk (guest star Peter Gadiot), a magical imp, shows up on Earth and declares his love for Kara (Melissa Benoist), she tries to let him down easy, thinking him harmless. However, he decides it's a challenge and starts to wreak havoc on National City. Mon-El (Chris Wood) has seen beings like Mr. Mxyzptlk on Daxam and knows how dangerous they can be. He and Kara argue over how to get rid of Mr. Mxyzptlk, further straining their relationship. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie (Floriana Lima) celebrate their first Valentine's Day together. Stefan Pleszczynski directed the episode written by Jessica Queller & Sterling Gates (#213). Original airdate 2/20/17.

Episode 13 of 22
Old 02-20-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E13) -- "Mr. & Mrs. Mxyzptlk" -- 2/20/17

Cant't wait.
Old 02-20-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Dammit. I hate this show but I may have to record this. I loved Mxyzptlk as a kid from Super Friends and the thread title caught my eye.

Now if we could only get a Bat-Mite appearance on Gotham!
Old 02-20-17, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Looking forward to this one. Mxyzptlk is one of my favorite villains.
Old 02-20-17, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What a waste. Mr. Mxzptlk could have made for a great episode and a fun episode. Instead he wasn't used to his full potential so that we could get that exciting(ly) awful B plot about Alex being sad Maggie isn't into Valentines Day and Wynn becoming Captain Kirk.

Seriously I thought this might turn out well after Mxzy sent Mon El to the DEO in his underwear and I enjoyed him dressing as Superman. I even like how Kara tricked him into typing his name backwards and thought that was an ok evolution of the concept. But he wasn't used to his full potential and much as I like Mon El I wish the writers would give him more character other than love sick puppy dog following Kara around.

The lesbian storyline was yet again god awful. This isn't just the worst written relationship ever in the DC Berlantiverse this might be the worst relationship on TV right now. Alex and Maggie are both written like emo teenagers who read Twilight too many times and both seem like they have so many screws loose that they both deserve better than the other. It's just awful and even worse incredibly pointless. Maggie exists for no reason other than to be a walking plot device to make Alex a lesbian. No more, no less.

Why was Wynn drinking by himself in an alien bar? Was anybody saying to themselves that Wynn having a girlfriend that's an alien would make this show better? I know it's a Valentines day show but yikes. I will say though that she looked seriously hot in those tight pants.

So yeah I was looking forward to this episode big time. But terrible writing and a misuse of a great character ruined it. I would say worst of the season but outside the two Superman episodes(which were the last good episodes) and the White Martian one which was also good I couldn't tell you a single thing that's happened this season they've been that unmemorable. On the plus side, at least James/Guardian wasn't in the episode and we didn't get a storyline about him hooking up with Ms. Tessamacher.
Old 02-20-17, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
I will say though that she looked seriously hot in those tight pants.
I thought the red dress at the end was better, though Tamzin Merchant would likely look good in anything.
Old 02-21-17, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

So in Berlanti's Metaphor City, how does an alien like Tamzin's character make a living, or even spend the day, -I mean, now that Roulette's fighting pit has been closed.
Old 02-21-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This version of Mr. Mxzptlk is just a blatant Q rip-off. Surprised he didn't send them back to Sherwood Forest or something like that. I guess there is always next time.

I appreciated Maggie's coming out backstory. Made sense that she would be down on anything tied to that event. And Alex sure looked hot in this episode. That dress at the end, BAM!.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-21-17 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
So in Berlanti's Metaphor City, how does an alien like Tamzin's character make a living, or even spend the day, -I mean, now that Roulette's fighting pit has been closed.
For that matter, how do the prisoners in the Star Labs vaults take a dump or a shower?
Old 02-23-17, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

OK episode. Tired of all these romance subplots in every episode.

MXY once tired to married Supergirl in ACTION COMIC #291.

http://supergirlthemaidofmight.blogs...-mxyzptlk.html
Old 02-23-17, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by will travel
OK episode. Tired of all these romance subplots in every episode.
It's up there a bit. I know someone that doesn't want to watch because of the whole Kara, Mon-El no James and Kara thing. CW dropped that so fast it's likely never going to be a thing. Half the show shall be the dating game!
Old 02-23-17, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I enjoyed Mxyzptlk for the most part. Some of his antics did make me laugh. But, he was underused.

I did find it a bit of a cop out with Kara making him type his name backwards was enough to send him back to the 5th Dimension. I always enjoyed how the Super Friends found creative ways to make him say his name backwards.
Old 02-23-17, 10:41 AM
Banned

So, is Parasite back for good?
Old 02-23-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

This was the episode originally meant to air near Valentine's Day. The CW's schedule got knocked off so the Arrowverse Valentine episodes were all late.

Surprised at the reaction here, I thought it was nearly a perfect episode of Supergirl. The focus on romantic sub-plots made sense with the Valentine Day's tie-in. Even Winn's one-episode fling with an alien was interesting.

This is how I like Supergirl on television. Mr. Mxyzptlk was cleverly handled for a television budget and they had Supergirl using her wits to beat the villain. I particularly liked the scene of Mr. Mxyzptlk's introduction when he put Kara in a wedding dress. Supergirl should be a more playful series like this was than it is at times. She isn't like Green Arrow.

Bring on Streaky the Supercat...
Old 02-24-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Surprised at the reaction here, I thought it was nearly a perfect episode of Supergirl. The focus on romantic sub-plots made sense with the Valentine Day's tie-in. Even Winn's one-episode fling with an alien was interesting.
The problem is that every episode has been so crammed with romance subplots that all it did was make it fell like a typical Supergirl episode. Hell even J'onn has had a romance subplot this season.
Old 02-24-17, 02:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing against romance or lesbians but I've never found her sister very likeable or interesting and double goes for Maggie. Having so many scenes focused on them means there's about 1/3 of every episode now that I'm playing with my phone.

I think Toyman Jr and Guardian could have been a fun team-up if done right (i.e. for comic relief) but it just wasn't because they try to make it serious. James has always been a poor character made worse and Winn has basically dropped out of Kara's life outside of the DEO. Good job, writers!
Old 02-24-17, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Bring on Streaky the Supercat...

How about Comet? They can liven up the show with a little bestiality...
Old 02-24-17, 07:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

This did nothing for the universe. This was a total filler, theme episode. Complete waste.
Old 02-24-17, 09:40 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Fun episode, loved Winn and the hot alien, can't wait till Kara meets her
Old 03-05-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Losing interest in this show. Shame because I love Melissa Benoist and her steel pussy. She embodies the girl next door look with amazing charm and charisma. But the show is getting more dull. The romantic subplots are just momentum killers. To have an episode or two devoted is fine. But to have this ongoing childish high school level lesbian go-round is terrible. I didn't think they could much worse than how they handled James and Kara. Boy was I wrong.

I know they need more than a villain of the week, fight and lose, come back and fight and win at the end. But they need something more interesting than what they have. Is the rest of the internet all a flutter looking forward to what will happen with their relationship next week?
Old 03-05-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Here's a trick for Supergirl viewers. Alex's sub-plot can almost entirely be cut out of each episode without affecting the other characters. It's fairly safe automatically skipping any scene that involves Alex and Maggie by themselves.