TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Timeless (S1E16) -- Season Finale -- "The Red Scare" -- 2/20/17

Old 02-20-17, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Timeless (S1E16) -- Season Finale -- "The Red Scare" -- 2/20/17

"TIMELESS"

"THE RED SCARE" ORIGINAL

02/20/2017 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Monday) : IN THE NATION'S CAPITOL DURING THE RED SCARE OF THE 1950s, THE TEAM FIGHTS THEIR BIGGEST BATTLE - TO TAKE DOWN RITTENHOUSE ONCE AND FOR ALL. With one of our heroes' lives on the line, the team chases Flynn (Goran Visnjic) to 1954 through the paranoid corridors of Joe McCarthy's (guest star Spencer Garrett) Washington D.C., en route to a secret, once-a-generation meeting of Rittenhouse leaders. While there, Lucy (Abigail Spencer) must wager the ultimate sacrifice to save history as we know it. Also starring Matt Lanter, Malcolm Barrett, Paterson Joseph, Sakina Jaffrey and Claudia Doumit. Guest starring Daniel Di Tomasso, Johnathan Tchaikovsky and Bruce Gray. TV-PG D, L, V

Final episode is tonight. The future of this show is very much in limbo.
Old 02-20-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts
Re: Timeless (S1E16) -- Season Finale -- "The Red Scare" -- 2/20/17

Hopefully there is some resolution because I doubt this is coming back.
Old 02-20-17, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Nope on the resolution.
Old 02-21-17, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

This better get another season, even a few episodes!!!
Old 02-21-17, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Shawn Ryan and Eric Kripke are apparently pitching the 2nd season to NBC in April.

Here's what Ryan also said about the finale:

DEADLINE: Did you have an alternate ending that would serve as a series finale in case Timeless does not come back?

SHAWN RYAN: No. Eric and I planned for success. We’ve been working towards this ending ever since the season began.
This blurb is also interesting:

Timeless also is a rare family viewing show, so I hear NBC has been mulling putting it on at 8 PM, so such a play, possibly on Friday, is considered an option for next season.
http://deadline.com/2017/02/timeless...-2-1201917656/

Grimm is ending, so Friday is definitely an option. But, I think it's future will heavily depend on the Pilots being produced for the upfronts.
Old 02-21-17, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This show was ok. Id like another season but wont shed any tears if it gets cancelled.
Old 02-21-17, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I can be perfectly okay if a show only as one season as long as it's a COMPLETE story with no cliffhangers. Timeless feels like something that would work better with a limited run or the shorter seasons.
Old 02-21-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hated where they went with the mom on the last show. But I would really like to see how the story plays out.
Old 02-21-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

It's not coming back.

I didn't think much of this finale, one of the weaker episodes in Timeless's entire run. Rittenhouse really turned out to be nothing but a McGuffin plot device. I doubt the showrunners even now could explain Rittenhouse as anything more than an evil organization. That's lazy for a show about time travel.
Old 02-21-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, I just watched the finale.

That was an interesting twist at the end with Lucy's Mom being part of Rittenhouse.

Otherwise, it would have wrapped up the season. If they got a second season, I could see Lucy, Wyatt and Rufus try to break out Flynn to help them. But, we won't know until May if that's even in the cards.
Old 02-21-17, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

What?! That was a crazy twist. I certainly did not see that coming.

It does tell you there is more to Rittenhouse, and that they are much more calculated than we'd been led to believe. Talk about the long game. They went so far as to "strand" their pilot in the past, with the idea Flynn would "recruit" her some ten years later.

I actually was beginning to think the NSA agent was going to be in on something else. They seemed to clean up the Rittenhouse problem too quickly.

It's sad that with so much happening this episode that the trio and Rufus had to take a back seat. That might be why the episode felt off kilter. Plus they crammed two episodes worth of content into one.

All that, and it doesn't even address what's up with Jia. At first I thought the past had changed, and the Golden Gate Bridge was suddenly getting built for the first time in 2017. It's either that, she can see different timelines, or travelled to the past by herself.

Yes the numbers don't look good, but not a lot on the big networks do. With Grimm ending, and the prospects of other shows not doing well, I hope this show gets at least 9-12 episodes to finish the story.
Old 02-22-17, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Wow, what an ending!

I always thought it was weird to have Annie Wersching appear in multiple episodes (couple scenes here, a few minutes there), and not really do anything. Nice payoff in the finale.

My favorite show of this tv season (Grimm was the former favorite this season, 24 Legacy is meh). Top notch character development. As the season progressed, I cared more and more for Lucy, Wyatt, and Rufus and what they were fighting for.

Hope it comes back!
Old 02-22-17, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fridays works for me hopefully it comes back. Got some level of closure (figured they would admit that Flynn was on the same side eventually), outed Rittenhouse, but in the end didn't really beat them.
Old 02-22-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I thought it was okay. The twist seems like the kind of thing they used to do on "Alias" which I enjoyed for a few years before it became too ridiculous. I like the notion they mentioned in "Frequency" and "11/22/63" where things don't fall exactly back into place when you change the past. I think the show will be back. From what I read, they say it depends on how the other mid-season replacement shows do. If they all flop and NBC needs something with a built-in audience to fill the schedule for next year they might bring it back. I'm usually wrong, though - I thought "Forever" would be back and "Elementary" would not.
Old 02-22-17, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Shawn Ryan and Eric Kripke are apparently pitching the 2nd season to NBC in April.

Here's what Ryan also said about the finale:

This blurb is also interesting:

http://deadline.com/2017/02/timeless...-2-1201917656/

Grimm is ending, so Friday is definitely an option. But, I think it's future will heavily depend on the Pilots being produced for the upfronts.
We found this to be one of our favorite shows for family viewing. It's relatively clean and sparks conversation about the history. We now own Lone Ranger biographies.

I hope it does come back if nothing else for a conclusive ending. This episode was good but felt like two hours packed into one. The "Red Scare" barely played into the episode.
Old 02-22-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

The show is not perfect but I really enjoyed the season. They did cram too much in the last 15 minutes though. If it doesn't return hopefully it will get the comic book treatment that Revolution got.
Old 02-23-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed this show. It wasn't particularly deep, but it was fun, and I've always liked time travel fiction. I didn't really like the revelation that Flynn's new pilot and Lucy's mom were Rittenhouse the entire time, though. It would have been better if they had altered something in the past that resulted in that outcome. Seems like this show would be more interesting if it became about those kinds of butterfly effects spinning out of control.
Old 02-23-17, 01:40 PM

It dawned on me that the premise of the show is backwards. They go back in time and thru theirs or Flynn's actions history isn't as we know it. When what they should be presenting is they go back and their change makes history as we know it. She could still lose her sister, Flynn his family, etc. but the way they're going about it where there are changes then there would be differences from what we know creating a paradox for everyone not just the time travellers.
Old 02-23-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
It dawned on me that the premise of the show is backwards. They go back in time and thru theirs or Flynn's actions history isn't as we know it. When what they should be presenting is they go back and their change makes history as we know it. She could still lose her sister, Flynn his family, etc. but the way they're going about it where there are changes then there would be differences from what we know creating a paradox for everyone not just the time travellers.
With week after week going by and seemingly never able to right history. In fact history was changed every week. I thought they should have done that as well. The Hindenburg originally was fine but they made it explode and people died who shouldn't. Capone died but they let him survive to go to prison. Etc.

It seems like history is changed so drastically but nothing ever changes but Lucy's sister disappeared.
Old 02-23-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
With week after week going by and seemingly never able to right history. In fact history was changed every week. I thought they should have done that as well. The Hindenburg originally was fine but they made it explode and people died who shouldn't. Capone died but they let him survive to go to prison. Etc.

It seems like history is changed so drastically but nothing ever changes but Lucy's sister disappeared.
That's what annoyed me most about this show.

Also how did Flynn ever get into the present-day timeline to begin with since he's presumably from the future?
Old 02-28-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked this show a lot, haven't stuck with too many network dramas the past few years, THis is Us, and Timeless have been it this year.

I would love to see a 2nd season, I would guess it's a 50/50 shot.

Not much closure, so maybe there is some hope!
Old 02-28-17, 09:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The show was okay overall. I think I liked the different places/times they went more than the storyline or characters and that's why I stuck with it. Her mom being evil is stupid, Rittenhouse really is just a macguffin, and they have hardly any consequences for major changes to history. I don't care if they get another season.
Old 02-28-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Maybe someone has already posted this, but did anyone realize that the main characters names all come from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?

Rufus Carlin, Wyatt Logan, and Lucy Preston

Looks like it's mentioned on IMDB.
Old 02-28-17, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Maybe someone has already posted this, but did anyone realize that the main characters names all come from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?

Rufus Carlin, Wyatt Logan, and Lucy Preston

Looks like it's mentioned on IMDB.
Woah! Dude!!!!! Did not know that.
Old 02-28-17, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Woah! Dude!!!!! Did not know that.
Me neither! Excellent!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.