Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S7E10) -- "New Best Friends" -- 2/19/17

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,635 Likes on 2,608 Posts
The Walking Dead (S7E10) -- "New Best Friends" -- 2/19/17

Rick's group will find out yet again that the world isn't what they thought it was. It's much bigger than anything they've seen so far. While they have a singular purpose - to defeat Negan - it won't come easy. More importantly, victory will require more than Alexandria. They need the numbers of the Kingdom and the Hilltop, but, similar to how Rick felt, Ezekiel (Khary Payton) and Gregory (Xander Berkeley) do not want bloodshed. To convince them otherwise will take more than speeches. The lengths Rick and the group will have to go to in order to find weapons, food and new fighters is nothing short of remarkable.

We'll meet new survivors in incredible places. We'll see Rick and the group tested in ways we've never seen before. We'll see treachery from people we trust. Rick is confident as he will see his group and many others band together with the common goal of taking down Negan. But no amount of planning will prepare the group for all-out war with Negan and his army.

Episode 10 of 16
Old 02-19-17, 07:12 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S7E10) -- "New Best Friends" -- 2/19/17

I don't read the comics, so I don't know how it plays out on a page, but The Kingdom and King Ezekiel are a terrible addition to this show. It comes off more like something you'd see on Z-Nation.
Old 02-19-17, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah as odd as this may seem, The Kingdom and Ezekiel are less comic-booky in the comic.
Old 02-19-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Pollyanna Mcintosh

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 02-19-17 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

It really does feel like a chore at this point to keep going with the show...how many more seasons are confirmed? Two?
Old 02-19-17, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow this episode was pretty boring. Total filler. Only enjoyable part was Daryl reuniting with Carol. Rick & company get ambushed by a group of total strangers that come out of nowhere & convince them to join them in fighting another group that are total strangers to them.
I am predicting Tara goes back on her promise & brings the gang to the Oceanside ladies & convinces them to join in the fight against the Saviors.
Old 02-19-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I am predicting Tara goes back on her promise & brings the gang to the Oceanside ladies & convinces them to join in the fight against the Saviors.
Not much of a prediction. Why else would they waste a whole episode on Oceanside - a group that was also fucked over by the Saviours?

Dull episode. For the first few minutes I thought the whole episode was going to be only about King Zeke and that crap. Glad that they had multiple groups going.

And I agree about King Zeke. His persona is just ridiculous. Even this new group looks like yet another gimmick. It's starting to come across as the WWE.
Old 02-19-17, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I need to find something to take away from this week's episode ... I'm going with this ... I had no idea Father Gabriel was a Star Wars fan.

Of course Tara is going to take them to Oceanside. Of course Carol is going to come back to save their asses against the Saviors. Of course Dwight is going to rebel.
Old 02-19-17, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Why do all the weird people survive the zombie apocalypse...
Old 02-20-17, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
It really does feel like a chore at this point to keep going with the show...how many more seasons are confirmed? Two?
if they keep spending a full hour to cover a premise that takes 5 minutes the show can last forever
Old 02-20-17, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
Why do all the weird people survive the zombie apocalypse...
That is essentially what I am taking away from the show is that the message is we're a bunch of savages if we don't have laws.

I think the one thing the shows misses is to give some backstory on the enemies/friends that our group meets the same way they did with the Governor. They wasted a whole fucking episode with Tara, when they could have told a backstory on Negan and why he is a serial killer now.

Judging by next weeks previews
Spoiler:
it looks like a 'Eugene witnessing the Negan Horrors' Episode, which sounds like a total filler to me because we have been there done that before.
Old 02-20-17, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb
we're a bunch of savages if we don't have laws
Power went out in my area of Sacramento, CA an hour or so before friday rush hour. Near instant Calcutta 3rd world level of driving in a heart beat. That all it takes for mini-anarchy to break out.

as for this ep... They are all starting to feel like filler eps now. I think it's just an issue of this show running a rather long time. Most shows start to slam into a wall this many seasons into their run, even if they do have built in -bad guy/event of the week- sort of story lines.

Something Walking Dead doesn't even have being it's just the same people in the same world week after week.

Sooooo where do you randomly find a bunch of guns to give to a group to help fight another group, who already took all your guns? I kind of hope they stumble over like a stash of 22cal rifles a boy scout leader used to teach a shooting course.

being it's always a mil-stash of AR this and AR that. When I think the reality of a scavenger arsenal is a whole lot of crappy bedroom drawer 38s and random shotguns/hunting rifles. If for no other reason then average guns in average calibers would be the ones you could find the most ammo for in the wild.

Most homes who own a gun or two don't have a tactical mil spec sniper and a silenced mp5.
Old 02-20-17, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DeadLamb

as for this ep... They are all starting to feel like filler eps now. I think it's just an issue of this show running a rather long time. Most shows start to slam into a wall this many seasons into their run, even if they do have built in -bad guy/event of the week- sort of story lines.
I agree as most shows run their course by season 5 or 6. Homeland right now is next to unwatchable as that is on Season 6.

The reason this show is getting stale is how many times do we have to hear a speech from Rick Grimes to every new group they encounter? That is all the show is anyone is them jumping from group to group and Rick gives them the 'you gotta fight or you're going to die!!!' speech.

But they need to change up something as it's just the Rick Show anymore and the group just stands by and nods. In the earliers seasons, you had Shane, Dale, Herschel to kind of give it back to Rick to create some internal drama. Now you just get pissy Rosita making comments under her breath.
Old 02-20-17, 06:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

this show, very quickly, went from normal relatable every day people fighting for their lives in extraordinary circumstances to a Waterworld/Mad Maxian tale of a bunch of shitty post-apocalyptic douchebags. ugh.
Old 02-20-17, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

This Pollyanna character seemed to talk in some apocalyptic future broken English. It would take several generations for the language to break down like that.
Old 02-20-17, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 235 Likes on 169 Posts

I hope McFarlane Toys make a Winslow figure. One of the coolest walker ever.
Old 02-20-17, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TGM
this show, very quickly, went from normal relatable every day people fighting for their lives in extraordinary circumstances to a Waterworld/Mad Maxian tale of a bunch of shitty post-apocalyptic douchebags. ugh.
At this point they should just bring out Tina Turner and go full 'Beyond Thunderdome' for an episode.
Old 02-20-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
Sooooo where do you randomly find a bunch of guns to give to a group to help fight another group, who already took all your guns? I kind of hope they stumble over like a stash of 22cal rifles a boy scout leader used to teach a shooting course.

being it's always a mil-stash of AR this and AR that. When I think the reality of a scavenger arsenal is a whole lot of crappy bedroom drawer 38s and random shotguns/hunting rifles. If for no other reason then average guns in average calibers would be the ones you could find the most ammo for in the wild.

Most homes who own a gun or two don't have a tactical mil spec sniper and a silenced mp5.
Realistically, there's way too much gunplay in Walking Dead. Number one, ammo is going to be a problem. Unless you looted a Cabella's early on, or stumbled on some survivalist's cache of ammo, you're going to run out of bullets fast. Aside from actually using the guns, you'll also need to target practice and teach people how to shoot.

Second, guns make bad anti-zombie weapons. The noise will attract more walkers. Walkers can only be stopped by a headshot, any other shot will not incapacitate or slow them down. They're moving targets. They don't scare.
Old 02-20-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I was laughing over exactly this. Somehow this new group of baristas and school teachers and accountants became third generation Thunderdome overlords in like three years.
Old 02-20-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

That woman looks like a Vulcan.
Old 02-20-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
That woman looks like a Vulcan.
She did

All WD eps between the premieres and finales are filler. We keep watching though.

Nothing ever on for me Sunday nights anyway. I can't even think of a Sunday night show I've watched regularly, besides TWD.
Old 02-20-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
She did

All WD eps between the premieres and finales are filler. We keep watching though.

Nothing ever on for me Sunday nights anyway. I can't even think of a Sunday night show I've watched regularly, besides TWD.
That's pretty much been the pattern when they started to split the seasons. Stuff happens in the premiere, then it slips into neutral until the midseason finale, which has action that ends on a cliffhanger, the cliffhanger is resolved in the midseason premiere, slips back into neutral, then stuff happens in the finale that ends on a cliffhanger. Repeat.

I think two was the first split season, and it started following the pattern in that season, but as time has gone on, it's really become formulaic. The action really follows a sawtooth pattern where you have a slow escalation to conflict, a rapid conflict, a fast resolution, then another slow escalation. They do nothing to shake up the formula.
Old 02-20-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
This Pollyanna character seemed to talk in some apocalyptic future broken English. It would take several generations for the language to break down like that.
it's real life cosplay to her. Same as it is for Ezekiel.
Old 02-20-17, 05:51 PM
Cool New Member

My wife and I looked at each other and both uttered "Galaxy Quest" to that woman-leader. She reminded us of Laliari, the Thermian crew member.
Old 02-20-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Forgot to add that Rosita's hotness has officially become outweighed by her insufferable bitchiness.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.