Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which do you prefer: Jaws 3 or Jaws: The Revenge

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Jaws 3 or Jaws 4
Jaws 3
87.10%
Jaws 4
12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In honor of this year being the thirtieth anniversary of the release of Jaws: The Revenge and the 25th anniversary of Jaws 3 coming soon I figured it would be fun to see which movie people prefer.

Jaws 3

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/arsAllZIa1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a4Td_W5dc1w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh boy. This has not aged very well. The special effects are very laughable, the plot is ridiculous and the acting atrocious. But I will say it does have some good scenes in it. It does have one scene reminiscent of the first two though and that's the water skiing scene which I liked. It also has a ridiculous finale in which Jaws eats someone and keeps his body inside of his mouth so a grenade can be pulled and he can explode.

Jaws:The Revenge

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FHbf_h9Q5QI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K41atFxdsuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RiZead-Wl6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh man. It seems inconceivable that this movie was released by a major studio. This movie is so ridiculous it's hilarious. The opening attack scene is good minus the ridiculousness that it looks like the shark set a trap for Brody. But you have a shark that follows the family to the Bahamas, the mother worrying that the shark is out for revenge, a shark that roars like a lion and so much hilarity.

So which is the better movie? Well there both bad but I have to give the nod to JTR. Jaws 3 tried to be like the first two and failed and it's a boring failure. JTR seems to have no sense of logic or good filmmaking sense and it's awful but it's fun to watch for that reason. Can't say the same for Jaws 3.

Oh and for shits and giggles here is the old Jaws ride at Universal since the shark here looks better than the shark in those two movies.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QurplyEz_P4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-04-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Which do you prefer: Jaws 3 or Jaws: The Revenge

One of my favorite quotes--from Michael Caine when asked about doing movies like Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

Old 02-04-17, 01:25 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I hate that the killed off the younger Brody boy in Jaws 4 (although that was a chilling scene). So I guess Jaws 3.
Old 02-04-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Jaws 3 hands down.

I always felt it could be enjoyed despite the corny dialogue, 3D effects and the like. Maybe I just had a soft spot for the idea of a shark being at Sea World, especially since I had been there as a kid. Plus there's extra credit for the 80s cast of Quaid, Thompson, Gossett Jr.

There's nothing redeemable about the 4th film. I refuse to watch it again. And even though I like owning a complete series of films, I will not allow Jaws: The Revenge to be in my house.
Old 02-04-17, 01:56 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I never knew there was such an elaborate Jaws ride. Pretty cool.
Old 02-04-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Jaws 3 hands down.

I always felt it could be enjoyed despite the corny dialogue, 3D effects and the like. Maybe I just had a soft spot for the idea of a shark being at Sea World, especially since I had been there as a kid. Plus there's extra credit for the 80s cast of Quaid, Thompson, Gossett Jr.

There's nothing redeemable about the 4th film. I refuse to watch it again. And even though I like owning a complete series of films, I will not allow Jaws: The Revenge to be in my house.
This about sums it up for me as well. I visited Sea World as a kid and enjoyed seeing some of the same attractions used in Jaws 3. It's a terrible movie but a FUN terrible movie.

Jaws 4 has one mildly effective scene at the very beginning and then it's an abortion the rest of the way through. Although, I suppose a decent drinking game can be made by drinking every time you see the wires/hoses attached to the shark. You should be drunk by the finale.
Old 02-04-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

That's like asking do you prefer a poke in the eye or a kick in the crotch. Neither please and thank you.
Old 02-04-17, 03:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

They pretty much go downhill for me. Two unreleased sequels and they'd cover all the bases.

Jaws - best movie of all-time
(Missing) - very good to great film
Jaws 2 - good film
(Missing) - below average
Jaws 3 - bad
Jaws 4 - almost unwatchable
Old 02-04-17, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Jaws 2 - good film
Yes, Jaws 2 doesn't rise above the genre into great filmmaking like the original, but it's a very solid B-movie that I find quite entertaining. I was a little too young to have seen that in theaters, but I imagine that would have been a very fun summer movie to see on the big screen.

Oh, come to think of it, I actually did see Jaws 3 in 3-D in the theater, and that was fun at the time.
Old 02-04-17, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Both are worse than being kicked in the balls but I would have to go with Revenge because of Michael Cane.
Old 02-04-17, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Neither is particularly good but I like them as guilty pleasure movies. I might give the slight edge to Jaws: The Revenge. Not sure exactly why but I enjoy it slightly more than Jaws 3-D. The Seaworld type setting of the third film could have been really cool but was overall disappointing the way the story handled itself. While the premise of the fourth film is ridiculous I like the cast and that it goes back to Amity. The death scenes are also pretty decently done.
Old 02-04-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I saw Jaws the Revenge in the theater when I was 12 and had a shattering revelation: movies can actually be bad.
Old 02-04-17, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

FakeSharkNews! There are no Jaws sequels and I will not deviate from that belief.
Old 02-04-17, 08:05 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

it's only a matter of time before they make a Jaws prequel about it terrorizing the southern coast and eating that Louisiana license plate.
Old 02-04-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Jaws 3 because Lea Thompson.
Old 02-04-17, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The whole concept of a shark trying to get revenge on the Brody family was just beyond stupid. Notice it only kills other people because it just misses a Brody.

I am surprised they haven't try to reboot Jaws.
Old 02-05-17, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I've got to go with Jaws 3.

It's not a very good movie, but it's a fun 80's movie with a great concept (a rogue great white gets in to a Sea World type park), and I love the cast.

Jaws The Revenge is just ridiculous. A few decent scenes, but the whole shark out for revenge thing was stupid. And the ending is beyond ridiculous.
Old 02-05-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I can at least tolerate Jaws 3. Jaws 4 is simply unwatchable.
Old 02-05-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 193 Posts

Jaws 3. I saw it on vacation with my family in 3D. My dad swore off going to the movies after that...
Old 02-05-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Jaws 3D is so bad it's good, but Jaws: The Revenge is just bad.

Still do not understand why they changed the ending to Jaws: The Revenge to have Mario Van Peebles live.
Old 02-06-17, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Jaws: The Revenge is AWFUL. I'm sure many of you have seen the Siskel & Ebert review, but if you haven't, enjoy...

Old 02-06-17, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Jaws 3-D is sort of enjoyable if you can watch it as an 80s Jaws knock-off and not an actual sequel.

Jaws The Revenge can be nothing more than a shitty sequel.
Old 02-06-17, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Both are worse than being kicked in the balls...
That's it...
Old 02-06-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

What fascinates me(in a cool way) about Jaws 3, is that some Universal exec thought "Let's remake Revenge of the Creature only with the Jaws shark instead"
Old 02-06-17, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jaws 4 was a terrible script/concept, but I remember watching that opening night scene as a child and being SERIOUSLY disturbed by the guy losing his arm and not even realizing it for a while.

I am now 36 years old and that it the only movie scene I have watched one time and have never and probably will never revisit. I can't even click the link above.