Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Z: The Beginning of Everything (Amazon Prime) -- S: Christina Ricci -- Series Thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Z: The Beginning of Everything (Amazon Prime) -- S: Christina Ricci -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Z: The Beginning of Everything is a ground-breaking concept: a fictionalized bio series of the life of Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald, the brilliant, beautiful and talented Southern Belle who becomes the original flapper and icon of the wild, flamboyant, Jazz Age in the 20s. The series begins the moment Zelda meets the unpublished writer F. Scott Fitzgerald in Montgomery, Alabama in 1918 and moves through their passionate, turbulent love affair and their marriage -- made in heaven, lived out in hell -- as the celebrity couple of their time. Z: The Beginning of Everything will show us the alcoholism, adultery and struggle with dashed dreams and mental illness that leads to Zelda's tragic, untimely end. It dives into the fascinating life of a woman ahead of her time, an artist determined to establish her own identity in the tempestuous wake of a world-famous husband. A modern take on one of the most notorious love stories of all time, Z: The Beginning of Everything will be played out in salons and speak-easies from Montgomery, Alabama to the Cote D'Azur.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Christina Ricci as Zelda Sayre
· David Strathairn as Anthony Dickerson Sayre
· Gavin Stenhouse as F. Scott Fitzgerald
· Holly Curran as Tilde Sayre
· Jamie Anne Allman as Tootsie Sayre
· Kristine Nielsen as Minnie Sayre
· Maya Kazan as Livye Hart
· Sarah Schenkkan as Eleanor Browder

CREW INFORMATION:
· Christina Ricci as EP
· Christine Vachon as EP
· Dawn Prestwich as CRTR/EP
· Nicole Yorkin as CRTR/EP
· Pamela Koffler as EP
· Tim Blake Nelson as DIR (Pilot)

10 episode 1st season

The entire 1st season was posted today on Amazon Prime.

Old 01-27-17, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Z: The Beginning of Everything (Amazon Prime) -- S: Christina Ricci -- Series Thr

So far it's gotten 71% on Rotten totmatoes based on 24 reviews.

I'm assuming this will have very limited appeal here since it's a turn of the century period show.

Surprisingly each episode runs less than 30 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot/dp/B017...+of+everything
Old 01-27-17, 08:51 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Re: Z: The Beginning of Everything (Amazon Prime) -- S: Christina Ricci -- Series Thr

I was expecting zombies.
Old 01-28-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am going to check this out.. 30mins an ep is a major appeal..
Old 01-28-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to mention full frontal from Ms Ricci.
Old 01-28-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Not to mention full frontal from Ms Ricci.
Now I'm interested.
Old 01-30-17, 10:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Going to check this out as well. Glad it's a 30-min show.
Old 09-08-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...enewal-1035838

Cancelled after Amazon initially renewed it.

Amazon had already spent $7M on pre-production for season 2.

8 months later, not surprised that this show didn't appeal to most here or no one had time to watch it.

Seems like a lot of these streaming shows are maybe too niche to have any kind of buzz or following. I also think with the glut of content on the market, you really have to make a name for yourself in the 1st month of release or you're dead in the water.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-08-17 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...enewal-1035838

Cancelled after Amazon initially renewed it.

Amazon had already spent $7M on pre-production for season 2.

8 months later, not surprised that this show didn't appeal to most here or no one had time to watch it.

Seems like a lot of these streaming shows are maybe too niche to have any kind of buzz or following.
Honest to god, I never knew it was airing.

There is so much stuff popping up on all of the streaming services these days that if I don't see social media buzz about something, I'll probably never check it out.
Old 09-08-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Draven
Honest to god, I never knew it was airing.

There is so much stuff popping up on all of the streaming services these days that if I don't see social media buzz about something, I'll probably never check it out.
That's what I figured. If social media or media publications aren't talking about it, many aren't going to even know it exists. There's hundreds of originals on Netflix, Hulu and Amazon with more coming out and it's way too hard to try to keep track of all of them.

The Marvel Netflix shows, OITNB, House of Cards get tremendous buzz release week. Bosch on Amazon also gets a lot of promotion.

I may have seen 1 or 2 spots on TV for this and that's it. Not surprised you never knew it existed.
Old 09-08-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

I watched about 6 episodes and then stopped.

I like Ricci but the guy who played F. Scott sucked and nothing bugs me more than when the downward spiral of self-destructive substance abusers is the central focus of a TV series. I hated it in Vinyl and I hated it even more here. If they don't care if they live or die, why the hell should I? It was no fun to watch.
Old 09-08-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

A shame. The gif I saw made it look really promising.
Old 09-08-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I watched about 6 episodes and then stopped.

I like Ricci but the guy who played F. Scott sucked and nothing bugs me more than when the downward spiral of self-destructive substance abusers is the central focus of a TV series. I hated it in Vinyl and I hated it even more here. If they don't care if they live or die, why the hell should I? It was no fun to watch.
Pretty much had the exact same reaction. Watched about a half dozen episodes and bailed. Simply way too much content out there and the male lead was very limp, simply not enough meat on the bones here. Shows today really need to hit the ground running and be outstanding to have a shot. I also did like Ricci and liked the costumes/time period but the content just wasn't enough.
Old 09-08-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
A shame. The gif I saw made it look really promising.
Yeah, that scene was alright.

That does remind me : I thought it was so strange that they cast Ricci in this. She's pretty and a good actress, but she looks at least 30 and she's playing a debutante in the South. Her father is so worried that she's out late at night with a man. It's supposed to be because she's young and naive but given her apparent age, it seems like her family thinks she's retarded or something.
Old 09-09-17, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk God

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amaz...da-1202552532/

This article explains why Z was cancelled.

Basically Amazon wants to shift focus on developing bigger event series type shows with world appeal and not these niche shows with limited audiences.
Old 09-09-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Eventually Amazon's offerings are going to resemble cable shows more and more. There is little need to reinvent the wheel on every series and it's hard drawing an audience in today's TV world with several hundred new shows hitting each year.