Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Did Strike Back and Banshee make money ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 11:50 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I know the makers chose to end Banshee

I know Strike back might be returning with a new cast

Did these shows make money ?

It's no secret i love these bloody shows. I have started season 5 of strike back and seriously it is more exciting and has better action than movies like Jason Bourne or Mechanic Resurrection

The good old traditional action show or movie (no superhero, no sci fi) really is in danger of becoming extinct. Any half decent action show like Human Target or the Player got cancelled pretty quickly.

And i consider these real action shows, not procedurals with action like Hawaii Five O (which i also enjoy)
Old 12-31-16, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Did Strike Back and Banshee make money ?

They are premium cable shows. There is really no way to know if they made money. None of that information is released to the public.

Strike Back's Cinemax version was a co-production with Sky 1 in the UK, so Cinemax didn't have to pay the entire bill. The new season of Strike Back that's in the works is also under the same arrangement.

Banshee was a full Cinemax production. However, it was reported that the budget was slashed in the final season. Mainly because they had to move filming from North Carolina to Pennsylvania. North Carolina dropping their film and TV tax credit program was the main culprit
Old 12-31-16, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I loved both shows too, but yes, there's no way to know. A big reason for a premium network to have series like this is to drive subscriptions.
Old 12-31-16, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As was mentioned before. Cinemax is a network that doesn't rely on ad-revenue. So they are only concerned with keeping subscribers happy and attracting new ones. The important things are the ratings and word of mouth/ critical acclaim.
Old 12-31-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

So that is an interesting question --- how do pay-channels measure the success or failure of a show?

Network/basic cable TV has viewer numbers and ad revenue. Streaming channels can track downloads. How does it work with a "bufffet" style pay network? Do they use the same Nielsen (or whatever) system? If so, why aren't those numbers released?
Old 12-31-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
So that is an interesting question --- how do pay-channels measure the success or failure of a show?

Network/basic cable TV has viewer numbers and ad revenue. Streaming channels can track downloads. How does it work with a "bufffet" style pay network? Do they use the same Nielsen (or whatever) system? If so, why aren't those numbers released?
They use ratings like any other channel. The only time you see them is when the network wants to tute their own horn and gain new viewers (like with Game of Thones). They do not regularly release figures for them same reason Netflix doesn't. It would give the competition information that would reduce the competitive advantage that they have. There is no gain for them only lose. The other outlets would drive up the price for popular show runners, actors, etc..
Old 12-31-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Typically a lot of how these shows get viewed as a success is how many more subscriptions get added when their new seasons begin. As for Nielsen type ratings they pay attention to those but will not release the results unless it is a huge viewership that could equal basic cable or network TV.
Old 12-31-16, 07:47 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cinemax really needs to market themselves at the channel for real men and make no apology for it

They could great some cheap to make skin flick type shows (lots of nudity), there are tons of starlets willing to get their kit off for their big break

And make more action shows for guys.

Ton of potential spin offs or prequels they could do from Banshee. Job, Eliza Duska sequels, Burton prequel, Nola prequel etc
Old 12-31-16, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

I learned something new ... I would have thought Nielsen would release their findings, not the networks they are studying. Interesting ...