Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

First Man (2018, D: Chazelle) S: Gosling, Foy -- Neil Armstrong biopic

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-29-16, 12:33 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

Ryan Gosling is going from the city of stars to the stars themselves.

The actor has closed a deal to reteam with his La La Land director Damien Chazelle for First Man, Universal Pictures’ biopic centering on Neil Armstrong, the astronaut who became the first man to set foot on the moon.

Gosling has been orbiting the project since late 2015, but it was only in December that a deal was reached.

The project adapts the book First Man: A Life of Neil A. Armstrong by James Hansen and has a script by Josh Singer, the Oscar-winning co-writer of Spotlight.

Armstrong was a hotshot Navy bombing pilot during World War II, then a test pilot in the 1950 and 1960s. The movie will aim to tell the story of NASA’s mission to land a man on the moon, specifically the years 1961 to 1969, according to studio sources. The goal is to explore the sacrifices and the cost — on Armstrong and on the nation — of one of the most dangerous missions in history.

Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey, whose credits include the Twilight and Maze Runner franchises, as well as The Fault In Our Stars, are producing the drama via their Temple Hill Entertainment.

Isaac Klausner will exec produce. Hansen is attached to co-produce. Universal’s vp of production Sara Scott will oversee the project for the studio.

Chazelle’s La La Land has emerged as one of the top movies this awards season. The movie scored seven Golden Globe nominations, including one for Chazelle, for directing, and Gosling, for acting. Gosling also nabbed a SAG nomination.

The actor recently wrapped production on Blade Runner 2049 with Harrison Ford. First Man is eyeing a shoot next year.

Gosling is repped by UTA, Anonymous Content, LBI Entertainment and law firm Sloane Offer.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-biopic-959742
Old 03-07-17, 01:17 PM

re: First Man (2018, D: Chazelle) S: Gosling, Foy -- Neil Armstrong biopic

On the heels of collecting six Oscars for La La Land, director Damien Chazelle and star Ryan Gosling will be bringing First Man to the screen for Universal on Oct. 12, 2018. Pic follows NASA’s mission to land a man on the moon, centering around Neil Armstrong and the years 1961-1969. Gosling will play Armstrong. Project is based on James R. Hansen’s book, and the movie will explore the sacrifices and the cost—on Armstrong and on the nation—of one of the most dangerous missions in history. Deadline originally broke the news about the project back in November. Pic is adapted by Spotlight Oscar winner Josh Singer.

First Man will be produced by Wyck Godfrey and Marty Bowen through their Temple Hill Entertainment banner, alongside Chazelle and Gosling. Isaac Klausner will executive produce. DreamWorks Pictures will co-finance the film.

Currently, First Man stands alone as the only major studio release on Oct. 12, 2018. Warner Bros.’ Aquaman is slated to open the weekend prior on Oct. 5.
http://deadline.com/2017/03/universa...18-1202038507/
Old 06-21-17, 08:20 AM

Corey Stoll in Talks to Play Buzz Aldrin in Damien Chazelle’s “First Man” (Exclusive)
http://www.tracking-board.com/corey-...man-exclusive/

Kyle Chandler To Play Astronaut Deke Slayton In Damien Chazelle’s ‘First Man’
http://deadline.com/2017/06/kyle-cha...ng-1202117085/
Old 06-21-17, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,028 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Well, obviously both Stoll and Chandler are great but they're both TV actors - I would have expected he would have used more movie stars, "bigger names", in the prime rolls (much like Apollo 13 did).

I had thought that Stoll and Chandler were, at 41 and 51, too old to play their respective parts, but Aldrin and Slayton were 39 and 45 in 1969 so they're actually pretty close.
Old 06-21-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Who is going to play Stanley Kubrick?
Old 06-22-17, 11:52 AM

Jason Clarke in Talks to Join Damien Chazelle's Neil Armstrong Biopic 'First Man' (Exclusive)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...st-man-1015380
Old 06-08-18, 12:56 PM

Old 06-08-18, 08:31 PM

Re: First Man (2018, D: Chazelle) S: Gosling, Foy -- Neil Armstrong biopic

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O9Y7DTCn7Cc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-08-18, 08:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

No musical numbers? Looks pretty good. Perhaps the next Apollo 13.
Old 06-08-18, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chazelle probably has a man crush on Gosling.
Old 06-08-18, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Looks interesting.
Old 06-08-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
Do you not?
Old 06-08-18, 10:38 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks good! I’m in. I hope it inspires some kids.
Old 06-09-18, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Huh, strange. The trailer doesn't show any of the parts where Stanley Kubrick filmed the entire moon landing on a Hollywood soundstage. Guess thats too much of a spoiler to put in the trailer.
Old 08-30-18, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/first_man

Currently at 92% / 8.4 out of 10 with 12 reviews (Venice)
Old 08-30-18, 08:46 AM

It seems that everywhere I read, this is the Best Picture front-runner. That was based on reputation. Glad to see that the early, early reviews are supporting that it won't be a disappointment.
Old 08-30-18, 09:41 AM

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w4GtJB5WAlQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-30-18, 07:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
and why wouldn't he? this looks like a thriller and a real good one at that...
Old 09-05-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Let the controversy begin

'First Man' leaves the U.S. flag out of Neil Armstrong's moonwalk and people are pissed

https://mashable.com/article/first-m.../#296UifRVIsqL
Old 09-05-18, 05:23 PM
Banned

I haven’t read a word about this, but I’m going to give my educated guess about this.

The planting of the flag is such a well known image that it would be daunting to me to recreate it and film it. Mtv’s use of it alone has rendered it almost kitsch.

Anyone remember Oliver Stones’ Nixon. He doesn’t show Anthony Hopkins do this on camera.

He turns the camera and we see a silhouette as flashbulbs go off. He avoided it because it’s too damn on the nose.

My guess is that it’s something similar.

Or maybe they’re fucking commies. We shall see.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-05-18 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-05-18, 05:30 PM

As long as Neil doesn't kneel.
Old 09-05-18, 05:32 PM
Banned

Will it show Buzz Aldrin taking Communion on the moon? That’s what I’d like to know.
Old 09-05-18, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I haven’t read a word about this, but I’m going to give my educated guess about this.

The planting of the flag is such a well known image that it would be daunting to me to recreate it and film it.
You pretty much got it.

Damien Chazelle has responded to criticism over his choice to omit the iconic planting of the American flag on the moon in his upcoming Neil Armstrong biopic.

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times published Sunday, Chazelle said he has been "surprised" by the controversy because there are multiple historical moments he opted to leave out of the movie.

"It surprised me because there are so many things that we weren't able to focus on not only during the lunar EVA but in the entirety of Apollo 11," Chazelle said. "Just by the nature of the story we were telling, we just couldn't go into every detail. So our through-line became -- especially at this part of the movie where it's the final emotional journey for Neil -- what were the private, unknown moments of Neil on the moon?"

"The flag was not a private, unknown moment for Neil," Chazelle continued. "It's a very famous moment and it wasn't Neil alone. We included the famous descent down the ladder because that's him alone, literally first feeling what it's like to be on the moon. But other than that, we only wanted to focus on the unfamous stuff on the moon. So we don't go into the phone call with Nixon, we don't go into the scientific experiments, we don't go into reentry."

"In 'First Man' I show the American flag standing on the lunar surface, but the flag being physically planted into the surface is one of several moments of the Apollo 11 lunar EVA that I chose not to focus upon. To address the question of whether this was a political statement, the answer is no," Chazelle wrote in part. "My goal with this movie was to share with audiences the unseen, unknown aspects of America's mission to the moon -- particularly Neil Armstrong's personal saga and what he may have been thinking and feeling during those famous few hours."

Armstrong's sons, Rick and Mark, and "First Man" author James R. Hansen have also weighed in, telling The Hollywood Reporter that they support the film and Chazelle's directing choices.

"This story is human and it is universal. Of course, it celebrates an America achievement. It also celebrates an achievement 'for all mankind,' as it says on the plaque Neil and Buzz left on the moon. It is a story about an ordinary man who makes profound sacrifices and suffers through intense loss in order to achieve the impossible," they wrote in a statement.

"Although Neil didn't see himself that way, he was an American hero. He was also an engineer and a pilot, a father and a friend, a man who suffered privately through great tragedies with incredible grace," they added. "This is why, though there are numerous shots of the American flag on the moon, the filmmakers chose to focus on Neil looking back at the earth, his walk to Little West Crater, his unique, personal experience of completing this journey, a journey that has seen so many incredible highs and devastating lows."

Ryan Gosling, who plays Armstrong in the film, also defended the movie while at the Venice Film Festival last week.

"I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that's how we chose to view it," Gosling reportedly said. "I also think Neil was extremely humble, as were many of these astronauts, and time and time again he deferred the focus from himself to the 400,000 people who made the mission possible."
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/03/enter...pic/index.html
Old 09-05-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

I don't get the big deal. It's not like they showed them planting another country's flag instead of the American flag... they just didn't show them planting the flag.

The same people who complain about this probably don't have issues with films like U-571 and Argo which distorted facts to give the US credit for things they didn't do or had a smaller role in.
Old 09-05-18, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I was just listening to some conservative commentator talking about it, how it's erasing history, this wasn't just about mankind but about America, etc.

I agree with his point about the moon landing being an "American accomplishment." The US vs USSR was what the space race was all about, right?

But like Mabuse said, including that image that we've seeing forever is too "on the nose."

I can also see why conservatives might find it controversial, since the perception many have of Hollywood is that it's left-leaning, progressives/liberals, who aren't very patriotic. See "Hanoi Jane" for example. So they see this as further one more example of example of undermining pride for our own country.

But they don't realize the difficulty in film makers to make a mainstream movie about something old and common knowledge, something we all learn in history class, and make it feel new again.

EDIT

Wait a minute...
Although the flag left on Earth's moon during the first landing does appear in the movie, you don't actually see the moment it was planted.
So the audience still sees that the American flag has been planted on the moon? Conservative politicians and commentators are just mad because they didn't film it actually being planted, a scene that everybody's already seen over and over again?

The trailer looks good and I might check it out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.