Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Unsolved Mysteries available for streaming (Stack & Farina episodes) with updates

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Unsolved Mysteries available for streaming (Stack & Farina episodes) with updates

Old 12-16-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://www.thewrap.com/unsolved-myst...2017-new-year/

‘Unsolved Mysteries’ Solved? Amazon to Stream Updated Episodes in 2017

Fans of “Unsolved Mysteries” can look forward to finding out if any of them have been solved when the original episodes hosted by Robert Stack start streaming on Amazon in 2017.

FilmRise, which acquired worldwide digital distribution rights to the former NBC and CBS show, told TheWrap Thursday that episodes are currently being revised to include new information about the original cases. The company has not yet responded to TheWrap’s inquiry into whether any of the updated cases had been solved.

As TheWrap previously reported, you can start streaming “Unsolved Mysteries” this month. Two full seasons of the 2008 revival, hosted by late actor Dennis Farina (“Law and Order”) are already available on Amazon. Those episodes re-examine mysteries from the original run to reflect new findings.

But 2017 will be the first time updated versions of the Stack episodes have ever been available to stream. In fact, some episode updates are brand new, never before seen or broadcast on TV.

FilmRise will continue to release more Farina and Stack episodes in the winter and spring of 2017 across multiple platforms.

“Unsolved Mysteries” weaved together interviews and reenactments to examine cold cases, including bizarre crimes, missing persons’ reports, historical events and even paranormal activity. The show debuted on NBC and ran for 10 seasons before migrating to CBS, where it aired until 2002.

Stack, who also has 96 acting credits on top of appearing as himself to host “Unsolved Mysteries,” died in 2003 after suffering a heart attack. He won an Oscar in 1957 for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in “Written on the Wind,” and then won an Emmy in 1960 for his portrayal of Eliot Ness on ABC’s “The Untouchables.”

Farina also had a healthy acting resume before hosting the show. The former Chicago police officer started his career in 1981 with a role in Michael Mann action flick “Thief” and went on to play memorable characters in “Snatch,” “Get Shorty” and “Big Trouble” before becoming a regular on “Law and Order” between 2004 and 2006. He died in the summer of 2013 after suffering a pulmonary embolism.

“Unsolved Mysteries” was created and executive produced by John Cosgrove and Terry Dunn Meurer.

As the article says, currently only the Dennis Farina seasons from 2008 are available. 3 total:

https://www.amazon.com/Episode-1/dp/...n%3A2650306011

The Robert Stack seasons won't be available until next year.

I hope they release every season of the Robert Stack seasons from NBC, CBS and even the abbreviated Lifetime run and not do just best of collections. I'd like to re-visit some of those older episodes.

There's a lot of episodes from the NBC seasons. But, many of them are extremely dated from my recollection of seeing them on Lifetime.

According to Epguides, there's 560 episodes from 1988 to 2002 with Stack.

http://epguides.com/UnsolvedMysteries/

Probably not going to happen, but I would also love to see the rarely seen Raymond Burr and Karl Malden episodes when the show was only a series of specials.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-16-16 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-16-16, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Unsolved Mysteries available for streaming (Stack & Farina episodes) with updates

Just saw this. Awesome news as it's one of my favorite shows of all time. Yeah, most of the stories are dated now but it's a really well done show and very atmospheric/creepy. Robert Stack was the perfect host and that music used to scare the shit out of me when I was home alone watching it.
Old 12-17-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Unsolved Mysteries available for streaming (Stack & Farina episodes) with updates

Thought I'd see you here, Mike86.

The rejigged Spike episodes with Farina are worthless and undesired. I wouldn't mind seeing the old Stack episodes, but I sure wouldn't pay for them. Such a pity the show can't be fully revived with a suitable host and brand new episodes. No one can replace Stack of course, but a new incarnation that achieves a close approximation of the feel of the old show would be welcome.
Old 12-17-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

I once called Unsolved Mysteries on our ice cream truck driver with my friend. Never saw him again. True story.
Old 12-17-16, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What was the case, Nesbit?
Old 12-17-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Awesome YouTube video on how Spike TV Fucked up the show when it aired in 2008. This guy is spot on. Shows lots of clips of the Stack episodes vs Farina episodes & analyzes what a disaster the Spike reboot was.

Old 12-17-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Spike reboot definitely wasn't as good but I still watched it. Essentially it was just repackaged episodes hosted by Farina and with some updates.
Old 12-18-16, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mike86
The Spike reboot definitely wasn't as good but I still watched it. Essentially it was just repackaged episodes hosted by Farina and with some updates.
I just watched a few episodes of the newly posted Farina episodes from 2008 on Amazon a few hours ago. I barely watched them when they originally aired.

They are still terrible. Theme music sucks. Over-stylized producing/editing. And Dennis Farina ,while a decent actor, is a very very bland host. The video I posted above mentions my criticisms.

And what the hell was up with that goofy NASA contol room that Farina was standing in while leading into a case? It made it look like it was an extremely busy telecenter even though it was clearly all staged for show.

I think I'm going to pass on watching anymore of the Farina episodes and wait until the Stack episodes are posted.
Old 12-18-16, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most aggravating was the omission of any mention of dates. "One morning in April..." Oh really? What fucking year?
Old 12-18-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
I once called Unsolved Mysteries on our ice cream truck driver with my friend. Never saw him again. True story.
Sorry to hear about your friend.
Old 12-18-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just watched a few episodes of the newly posted Farina episodes from 2008 on Amazon a few hours ago. I barely watched them when they originally aired.

They are still terrible. Theme music sucks. Over-stylized producing/editing. And Dennis Farina ,while a decent actor, is a very very bland host. The video I posted above mentions my criticisms.

And what the hell was up with that goofy NASA contol room that Farina was standing in while leading into a case? It made it look like it was an extremely busy telecenter even though it was clearly all staged for show.

I think I'm going to pass on watching anymore of the Farina episodes and wait until the Stack episodes are posted.
I like the Stack episodes far better don't get me wrong but I watched the Farina episodes just because they were on. By that point Lifetime wasn't showing any that I remember and for the most parts the segments were either the same or done in a similar style so the rest of the show didn't bother me. I actually like Farina but he definitely didn't have the same creepiness that Stack had with the voice, trench coat, and the settings he was in (Farina was always in that weird call center).
Old 12-19-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Unsolved Mysteries used to set up shop at the call center I worked at in Sherman Oaks, CA back in the day. Robert Stack could occasionally be seen as he would come in to film a commercial or promo for the show. I only remember that they kicked us regulars out and I had to set up in another room when the Unsolved Mystery only worker bees came in to man the phones. I worked at this call center for 10 years, so if I remember things correctly, it was the Wednesday ritual for many years to get up and move to another room (I forget if they kicked us out every Wednesday, or just once a month).
Old 01-21-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI

Season 1 with Robert Stack is now available for streaming.

It's listed as Unsolved Mysteries the original Robert Stack episodes.

Going to start re-watching some of these. I haven't seen these since they originally aired.
Old 01-21-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just about to post about it being on Prime. Watching the first Stack episode now.
Old 01-21-17, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I loved the Stack version of Unsolved Mysteries. I never bothered with the Farina episodes, I knew they would largely butcher the show.

Half of the entertainment value in Unsolved Mysteries was Stack's mystique and narration.
Old 01-22-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
FYI

Season 1 with Robert Stack is now available for streaming.

It's listed as Unsolved Mysteries the original Robert Stack episodes.

Going to start re-watching some of these. I haven't seen these since they originally aired.
Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I loved the Stack version of Unsolved Mysteries. I never bothered with the Farina episodes, I knew they would largely butcher the show.

Half of the entertainment value in Unsolved Mysteries was Stack's mystique and narration.
I remember when Lifetime reaired the Stack episodes and some of them were updated. I gave the Farina episodes on Spike a chance, but he wasn't as a good narrator as Stack.

Another similar show to Unsolved Mysteries that was fun to watch was Sightings. I wish that show would be reaired, SyFy aired reruns back when it was know Sci-Fi Channel.
Old 01-22-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only series that comes close to the Stack version of Unsolved Mysteries for me is Disappeared. It airs on Investigation Discovery and was off the air for a while but came back. The newer seasons since it came back aren't as good.

I watched through the first four episodes of the Stack season one episodes last night. While some aspects of it are dated I still think it holds up well. Maybe it's partially nostalgia for me but there's just something about it that commands your attention while watching it. Stack's narration and the music combined with the footage/recreations just make for an entertaining show.
Old 01-22-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Been watching these nonstop since AP posted them. It's amazing trying to compare the Stack episodes to the Farina episodes. Even though they are the same stories, the Farina episodes just seem lifeless and cheap. The Stack episodes legitimately feel creepy and unnerving. I watched one before I went to bed and had to double check that everything was locked up. Watching these again I think Stack was responsible for 90% of this shows success. Some stories aged better than others though.

Another similar show to Unsolved Mysteries that was fun to watch was Sightings. I wish that show would be reaired, SyFy aired reruns back when it was know Sci-Fi Channel.
I used to love Sightings and really, really miss it. It's even more frustrating that you can't find episodes on YouTube or anywhere of it. I still remember the Jack the Ripper segment.
Old 01-22-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was Sightings a syndicated series? I don't remember it as a network show.

I believe it did hit DVD at some point.
Old 01-23-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

I've watched 10 episodes so far. I've missed seeing the Robert Stack episodes. He just has that presence and the voice that made the show so good in it's early years.

It's been so long since I've seen many of these stories that I've had little to no recollection of them. I found the story about the missing Maine mother who was suffering from depression and eventually committed suicide heartbreaking. Authorities didn't locate her until 2 years later. There's still some cases in the 10 episodes that weren't resolved.

The other case that I found interesting was the guy who escaped from San Quentin. He was eventually caught 7 years later, but was killed in prison.

The ones that I've been finding the most compelling are the true crime cases.

I may watch a few more before I have to get back to my other shows that are backing up again.
Old 01-23-17, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Was Sightings a syndicated series? I don't remember it as a network show.

I believe it did hit DVD at some point.
Sightings aired Friday on Fox from I believe 92-95 before it was replaced by The X-Files. Then it was on Sci-Fi from 96 to whenever they stopped airing episodes.
Old 01-23-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Been watching these nonstop since AP posted them. It's amazing trying to compare the Stack episodes to the Farina episodes. Even though they are the same stories, the Farina episodes just seem lifeless and cheap. The Stack episodes legitimately feel creepy and unnerving. I watched one before I went to bed and had to double check that everything was locked up. Watching these again I think Stack was responsible for 90% of this shows success. Some stories aged better than others though.

I used to love Sightings and really, really miss it. It's even more frustrating that you can't find episodes on YouTube or anywhere of it. I still remember the Jack the Ripper segment.
There were a few Sightings episodes on YouTube a few years ago, but they were taken down. The Sightings opening credits and music were creepy but I still wanted to watch the show. I remember the Jack the Ripper episode. Sightings covered some of the same UFO and ghost stories as Unsolved Mysteries and their recreations were sometimes scarier than the recreations on UM.

Last edited by writer106; 01-24-17 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-24-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm now through 15 episodes.

I can't believe I've gone through this many since this was posted on Saturday.

One thing that I've noticed is some redundancy with the Updates.

For example, in episode 1 there was a story about a man in Detroit who killed his wife and claimed it was an accident after falling off a horse. The Update to the story with him being apprehended was shown right after the story finished. I believe this was added later in post-production specifically for these Amazon airings.

In Episode 14, they showed the Update to this story once again as it was originally broadcast on NBC.

The doubling up on these updates has happened in several episodes. It's also added extra content time to some of these episodes. Usually 1 hour TV runs about 42-44 minutes with no commercials, but these episodes are running close to 50+ minutes with the Updates posted in.

Anyways, just an observation. I'm really enjoying re-visiting these stories. Not really a fan of current true crime TV on ID or Discovery. I think Unsolved Mysteries set the standard for the genre and everything else pales in comparison.

I think I may finish season 1 in the next few days.
Old 01-25-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When Unsolved Mysteries first aired, most network shows had 45-48 minutes of content per hour. It wasn't until the 1990s that it started slipping.
Old 01-25-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

So are they airing the original first episodes? I can't remember exactly, but in the first few episodes the reenactments often used the original people involved in the story instead of actors. Apparently you can tell how good (or bad) they were by how much dialogue they use vs. Stack's narration.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.