Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost in London (D: Woody Harrelson) -- Live Film -- S: Harrelson, Wilson, Nelson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lost in London (D: Woody Harrelson) -- Live Film -- S: Harrelson, Wilson, Nelson

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-16, 05:48 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="610" height="469" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/okx3T1widMI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you ever wanted to watch Woody Harrelson, Owen Wilson and Willie Nelson hang out live in real time, “Lost in London” will soon grant your wish. A live feature film that will be broadcast in theaters across the country next month, the project — which Harrelson wrote and will direct and star in — looks to be the first of its kind.

“I’ve always loved theatre and film and wanted to find the best way to merge the two,” says Harrelson in a statement. “When I decided to shoot this in real time I realized it wasn’t quite like true theatre because the one piece missing was a live audience. By broadcasting the film live as its being shot I hope to truly blend the excitement of live theater with the scale and scope of film.”

Based on one especially bad night Harrelson had in the eponymous city, “Lost in London” comes to theaters courtesy of Fathom Events on January 19. “No one has ever shot a movie and live-broadcast it into cinemas at the same time,” Harrelson assures us in the 30-second spot. “No one’s ever been that stupid — until now.” Go forth, Woody.
Isn't this the type of thing that Francis Ford Coppola has been developing for years??
Old 12-16-16, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Lost in London (D: Woody Harrelson) -- Live Film -- S: Harrelson, Wilson, Nelson

Isn't this the type of thing that Francis Ford Coppola has been developing for years??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distant_Vision

Distant Vision is a live semi-autobiographical novella-length film wrought in real-time on the 6,000-square-foot soundstage at Oklahoma City Community College. The live cinema project had a limited screening on June 5, 2015
Old 12-16-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Lost in London (D: Woody Harrelson) -- Live Film -- S: Harrelson, Wilson, Nelson

I would watch it if it was $3 but being a Fathom Event that ain't gonna happen.
Old 12-16-16, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

I'm truly interested in this but there's about a 1% chance it won't be a horrible dumpster fire of a movie. More power to Woody though.
Old 01-05-17, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

This is two weeks away. Tickets are up for sale.

http://fathomevents.com/event/lost-i...e-info/details
Date: Thursday, January 19, 2017

Time: 9:00 p.m. EST / 8:00 p.m. CT / 7:00 p.m. MT / 6:00 p.m. PST

Run Time: 2 hours (approximate)

Academy Award® nominated actor Woody Harrelson will direct and star in an unprecedented live feature film event, Lost in London LIVE, on January 19. Harrelson, who wrote the feature film “Lost in London,” will also co-star with Owen Wilson and Willie Nelson. Ken Kao of Waypoint Entertainment will produce alongside Harrelson. This first-of-its-kind film event will screen live in select cinemas nationwide, giving audiences the unique opportunity to watch a film shot in real time.

Loosely based on a crazy night full of real-life events, “Lost in London” follows Harrelson, playing himself, as he struggles to get home to his family. Run-ins with royalty, old friends and the law all seem to conspire to keep Harrelson from succeeding.

Following the feature presentation, Harrelson will participate in a live Q&A.
No mentions of a repeat showing, but the Deadline article from December mentions that it'll eventually have a "conventional" theatrical release.
http://deadline.com/2016/12/woody-ha...ts-1201871311/
After the live event, Lost In London will go into post-production and will be released as a feature film.
Old 01-05-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$15 at a theater that I usually spend $4.50 for a movie? What, are they high?
Old 01-05-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,195 Likes on 4,222 Posts

Of course this isn't the first time that noted stoners Harrelson and Nelson have appeared in a movie together :

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lYSOmYyNHpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-05-17, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
$15 at a theater that I usually spend $4.50 for a movie? What, are they high?
Fathom events are priced differently; you're paying for the "live" experience, and I think the price is set by Fathom in partnership with the production. For example, the Met encores are coming up as $28 each for me.

That said, in NYC, the $15 is actually cheaper than the price for a regular movie at the same theater.
Old 01-05-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Of course this isn't the first time that noted stoners Harrelson and Nelson have appeared in a movie together...
Technically, they both appeared in that movie, but they didn't appear "together".
Old 01-06-17, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Fathom events are priced differently; you're paying for the "live" experience, and I think the price is set by Fathom in partnership with the production. For example, the Met encores are coming up as $28 each for me.

That said, in NYC, the $15 is actually cheaper than the price for a regular movie at the same theater.
The Met showings would be unique events that most would not have access to. Plus an opera is something that is already known to the attendee. This is an actor hanging out in London. I even have my doubts how "live" it will be.
Old 01-06-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The Met showings would be unique events that most would not have access to. Plus an opera is something that is already known to the attendee. This is an actor hanging out in London. I even have my doubts how "live" it will be.
Well, it's ultimately up to you to determine whether this particular event is worth the money they're asking to attend. I was just pointing out that the pricing is basically uniform across theaters for this event, and can't really be compared to a standard movie ticket.

That said, Fathom does live events all the time, so their network of screens can definitely deliver a live performance. Is there any particular reason why you don't think this performance will be fully live?