Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kirk Douglas is 100 years old.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-06-16, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

This Friday December 9th. Hard to believe he was in Out of the Past some 70 years ago and is still alive and kicking.

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/kirk-douglas-100/

Old 12-06-16, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Kirk Douglas is 100 years old.

One tough SOB.
Old 12-06-16, 12:38 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

And he still fits in the suit he wore in 1949. He is/was one healthy, handsome motherfucker. Never got cancer from eating pussy either.
Old 12-06-16, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

Hope this thread doesn't jinx him and he passes by Thursday.
Old 12-06-16, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

He will steal your bitch. Watchout. Don't let his age fool ya.
Old 12-06-16, 06:59 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Now all us mods are going to have itchy trigger fingers to change the title!
Old 12-06-16, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You waited almost 100 years and you couldn't wait three more days to post this thread?
Old 12-06-16, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Here's to 200!
Old 12-06-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn, that's old but I hope he at least goes beyond George Burns and Bob Hope just for the hell of it.
Old 12-06-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

He should get a t-shirt: I SURVIVED 2016
Old 12-06-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
You waited almost 100 years and you couldn't wait three more days to post this thread?
Old 12-06-16, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Amazing. Stay strong, dude!
Old 12-06-16, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

I caught Out of the Past over the summer, and The Vikings in the fall, both in theaters. Great flicks. Of his performances I've seen, Paths of Glory is still my favorite. I'll be watching that Friday.
Old 12-06-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Dude has seen a lot in 100 years. It must be amazing but he probably doesn't even know he's alive.
Not to sour the conversation, but I've always wondered about the rumors concerning Jean Spangler and Natalie Wood.
Old 12-06-16, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Dude has seen a lot in 100 years. It must be amazing but he probably doesn't even know he's alive.
Not to sour the conversation, but I've always wondered about the rumors concerning Jean Spangler and Natalie Wood.
Pretty much convinced the Natalie Wood rape rumor is actually true.

I was listening to the audiobook of her biography a year or two back and they went into detail on the assault which was pretty violent. They didn't name who it was, just a "well known Hollywood movie star with a wife and family" who got the then teenaged Wood up to a hotel room under the pretense of discussing a part. If you google it, you don't have to go far to see the only name associated with the rumor is KDs. And he fit the 'blind' description.

I have little problem accepting the anecdote as fact because the audiobook was read by her sister, Lana. If there were untruths, or exploitive fabrications, I doubt she would consent to be associated with it.
Old 12-06-16, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Just amazing. I remember when he suffered a stroke 20 years ago at age 80 and that would have killed the average person. Amazed how he recovered and is still chugging along 20 years later.

I think he took really good care of himself and his health when he was younger and that contributed to his vitality as a senior citizen and going into the century mark.

Happy Birthday Mr. Douglas.
Old 12-07-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

I was listening to the audiobook of her biography a year or two back and they went into detail on the assault which was pretty violent. They didn't name who it was, just a "well known Hollywood movie star with a wife and family" who got the then teenaged Wood up to a hotel room under the pretense of discussing a part. If you google it, you don't have to go far to see the only name associated with the rumor is KDs. And he fit the 'blind' description.

I have little problem accepting the anecdote as fact because the audiobook was read by her sister, Lana. If there were untruths, or exploitive fabrications, I doubt she would consent to be associated with it.
That gives me real pause. I just googled it myself and it sounds credible to me. The odd thing is I've just watched several Douglas films that had rape in them, including TOWN WITHOUT PITY, where he's a military lawyer who defends 4 G.I.s on rape charges by trashing the reputation of the 16-year-old German rape victim, culminating in her suicide. (Robert Blake is the youngest of the G.I. defendants.) Plus a WWII film, IN HARM'S WAY, in which he plays an officer who rapes a young Navy nurse who then commits suicide. In THE VIKINGS he attempts to rape Janet Leigh, but Tony Curtis sneaks up behind him and knocks him out. (Curtis was Leigh's husband at the time.) In GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL he plays Doc Holliday and roughs up his girlfriend a lot. In his autobiography, Douglas claims the actress, Jo Van Fleet, asked him to hit her for real before the shot to get her pumped up for it and he obliged. In THE LAST SUNSET, he's an outlaw on the run who makes out with his ex-girlfriend's teenage daughter (Carol Lynley, who was a teenager at the time) and plans to run off with her until he's informed near the end of the film that the girl is actually his daughter. (Simple math would have figured that out a lot sooner.)

So a pattern develops here.

And then a real-life rape story.

Leaves a very bad taste.
Old 12-07-16, 01:54 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Old 12-07-16, 02:33 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

sad that this will be the thread that sooner than later will get the dreaded "UPDATE: DEAD" edit.
Old 12-07-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Leaves a very bad taste.
Yeah.

I became a big fan of his in my early twenties. I'd just gotten into laserdisc and blind bought things like Paths Of Glory, A Letter To Three Wives, The Bad And The Beautiful, Out of The Past (all of which are still among my favorite films of all time). Around the same time Ace In The Hole was being run on AMC which was a big deal as it had apparently been out of circulation for a while.
Also at the same time, Robert Harris has completed his restoration/expansion of Spartacus and that was being re-released in theaters.
Between all these great films, and the backstory of how Douglas had effectively closed the book on the blacklist by taking a stand and giving Trumbo screen credit- He was a serious superstar in my eyes.

He creeped me out as a kid, but I chalked that up to a childish superficial reaction. As a young adult, I admired that he wasn't quite a pretty boy, but was closer to having a character actors mug while still being a confident, commanding leading man.

The first chink in the armor came when I listened to him narrate his autobio- The Ragman's Son. I was not expecting to hear so much treacly, maudlin, self pitying neediness (from the guy who played Spartacus!). I guess many people appreciated his candor, but to me it was all kinds of off putting.

By the time I heard the Wood (and Spangler) rumors, I was already a little disenchanted with him.

That's the problem with these human beings. So often they contain multitudes. It's quite possible that he was a monster to Wood, while at the same time being a profile in courage for standing up to the blacklist.
I also have to give him props for going on stage at the AA's after suffering a grievous stroke. In an industry where image and ego is everything, and with the world watching, putting yourself out front and center like that for inspection was another big deal that few others in a situation like that would have done.
Old 12-07-16, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
sad that this will be the thread that sooner than later will get the dreaded "UPDATE: DEAD" edit.
Who knows if this forum will still be around in 11 years.
Old 12-07-16, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

The Natalie Wood story might have been confirmed by a certain Hollywood a-lister five years ago.

http://gawker.com/5893793/did-robert...-a-brutal-rape
Old 12-08-16, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Love to listen to Kirk on SUSPENSE, he did 3 performances.

Also was in one my favorite JOHN WAYNE movies, "The War Wagon".
Old 12-08-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts

My uncle, who passed away just a few years ago grew up and went to school with Kirk Douglas. Hard to believe he would be turning 100 now too. All my uncles would alway bring Douglas up on family reunions. His dad used to be a rag man in Amsterdam NY.

They would always talk about he would try to cheat people on the weight of the rags by using one hand to tip the scale upwards and all the kids that brought rags to him would intentioally try to hide small pebbles or rocks in with the rags to make them weigh more. They say that Douglas only came back to visit once since he left for college and never kept in touch with anyone he knew back then.
Old 12-08-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah.
Between all these great films, and the backstory of how Douglas had effectively closed the book on the blacklist by taking a stand and giving Trumbo screen credit- He was a serious superstar in my eyes.

He creeped me out as a kid, but I chalked that up to a childish superficial reaction. As a young adult, I admired that he wasn't quite a pretty boy, but was closer to having a character actors mug while still being a confident, commanding leading man.

The first chink in the armor came when I listened to him narrate his autobio- The Ragman's Son. I was not expecting to hear so much treacly, maudlin, self pitying neediness (from the guy who played Spartacus!). I guess many people appreciated his candor, but to me it was all kinds of off putting.

By the time I heard the Wood (and Spangler) rumors, I was already a little disenchanted with him.

That's the problem with these human beings. So often they contain multitudes. It's quite possible that he was a monster to Wood, while at the same time being a profile in courage for standing up to the blacklist.
I also have to give him props for going on stage at the AA's after suffering a grievous stroke. In an industry where image and ego is everything, and with the world watching, putting yourself out front and center like that for inspection was another big deal that few others in a situation like that would have done.
I grew up watching the guy in some classics like Spartacus, The Vikings and List for Life. My Father was a big fan of his as well.....right up until the point where he read his autobiography. He passed it on to me and said that it changed his view on the guy. Same thing happened with me. Its very similar to Klaus Kinskis book in that they both talk big about themselves and make it sound like they are the best at everything and deserve to be recognized as legends in their own time. I hate books like that.

Also, after reading many articles and seeing a lot of interviews the whole breaking of the Black List by involving Trumbo in Spartacus was not entirely due to Douglas. It seems the whole situation was breaking down anyway, and it was simply a matter of time. Plus Douglas was using Trumbo who was regarded at the time as a great writer and getting away with paying him peanuts.

I also read the stories about him and Natalie Wood, and to be honest it does not surprise me and feel pretty confident there is some truth there. He tended to come off in interviews as rather arrogant at times and i could imagine him not appreciating any rebuffing from women.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.