Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars (Reverse) Sheep: May the Force Be With Ewe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Episode II
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH EWE

WOOL! Three years ago a DVDTalker named cruzness
ran a Star Wars Sheep game. It was an exciting time
as the Otters struck from hidden bases scattered
across the internet. The epic game had many starts
and stops, until finally a brave Jedi Champion emerged
from the ashes and rubble.

Since then, many Sheep games have occurred in the
period of peace. But now Abob Teff has been laid
up on medical orders and something has been
awakened. Despite trade routes being blocked and
political negotiations breaking down, a small band
of DVDTalkers have undertaken a mission of utmost
importance: to race across the galaxy searching
for matching answers hidden inside astromech droids.

Originally Posted by dhmac
I hope we don't have to wait 3 years for the sequel.
It's been almost three years since the first Star Wars Sheep game ... time for the sequel!

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.
The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:
Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"
Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.
The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:
Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"
The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.
That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question.
Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Unless a question specifies otherwise: We will ONLY be using information specifically from the movies -- no EU, no books, no video games. Rogue One is in play, but ONLY information that we have learned in the released trailers will be judged. Any deviation from these standards will be assessed a 5 point penalty.

Make sure you are specific in your answers (provide everything I need to know what answer you are providing – i.e., the actor, character, film, etc.). Vague answers with multiple interpretations are subject to a 5 point penalty.

Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
  • 1 Unique is awarded -20
  • 2 Uniques are awarded -15 each
  • 3 Uniques are awarded -10 each
  • 4 Uniques are awarded -5 each
  • 5+ Uniques are awarded -4 each

Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Your Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use it on:
  • In Sheep questions, the {sd} doubles your points.
  • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use your {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing.
  • Slam dunks cannot be stacked. Use one per question only or else they will be discarded. You cannot use two slam dunks to turn a Reverse into a Sheep and then slam dunk those sheep answers.

Reminders: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Do not forget your {sd}. I will NOT be reminding you. If you submit more than 5 {sd}s, the first five will be accepted and all others discarded.

With that out of the way ... Let's get rolling!

1) Let's start at the beginning … sort of. Who is your favorite character from the Prequel Trilogy?
2) Chewie, we're home. Which planet in the Star Wars universe would you most like to live on?
3) Beyond the movies, Star Wars launched a whole new empire … toys! Which Kenner Star Wars figure, vehicle, or playset was the coolest?
4) REVERSE: Countless aliens were designed over the course of the entire saga, but not very many were named in the movies. Name an alien species which is specifically named in the Star Wars movies.
5) What was the best use of a Star Wars character outside of the SW universe? (TV commercial, other TV show, etc.)
6) What was the worst change in the Special Editions?
7) What was the best change in the Special Editions?
8) REVERSE: Name a director of a Star Wars movie.
9) Peek-a-boo! Name a well-known actor who had a small role or cameo in a SW movie.
10) Christmas is almost here … When you were a kid, what SW toy did you want but never get?
11) What is the coolest looking design for an alien species NOT specifically given a name in a Star Wars movie? (Ambiguous answers will receive a 5 point penalty -- I recommend including the movie, scene, and an adequate description.)
12) REVERSE: This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. Name a non-Jedi character who handles a lightsaber.
13) We love the bad boys … Other than Darth Vader and the Emperor, who is your favorite Star Wars villain?
14) Despite being highly quotable, the entire saga only has one quote in the AFI Top 100 Movie Quotes. Other than "May the Force be with you", what is your favorite Star Wars quote?
15) What is the most iconic image from the Star Wars movies?
16) REVERSE: Name a relative of Luke Skywalker
17) Other than Jar Jar Binks and the Ewoks, who is your least favorite character.
18) Spaceships are cool and all, but we are stuck on our planet. What form of planetary travel from the movies would you like to have? (Description of a vehicle or creature is OK, but be specific!)
19) REVERSE: Name an actor who has appeared in speaking roles in both a Star Wars and a Marvel superhero movie.
20) Over the course of the films we have seen many different types of stormtrooper armor. Which is your favorite design?

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-18-16 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-18-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Star Wars (Reverse) Sheep: May the Force Be With Ewe

If we get enough players, I'd like to run the game Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, but that's probably pretty short notice for most players. Maybe Black Friday would be good, but it just depends how many I get and how fast.

I tried to write the questions so casual viewers could play as well. Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns. (I know you will!)
Old 11-18-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

to the game title
Old 11-18-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I'll have to guess something for #10 since I was already an adult when SW came out.
Old 11-18-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn ... how old are you? Sorry, I guess I didn't think that one all the way through.

I guess ... go with something you'd like to have now.
Old 11-18-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Awesome!

Are there only two correct answers for Question 12?
Old 11-18-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Awesome!

The more I think about it, the more I think there are more than two, but I still probably wouldn't have risked a wrong answer.
Old 11-18-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Damn ... how old are you? Sorry, I guess I didn't think that one all the way through.

I guess ... go with something you'd like to have now.
I will go by what my son wanted when he saw Jedi.
Old 11-18-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah shit. I bombed so hard the last time. But I am definitely in!
Old 11-18-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I would like to participate.
Old 11-18-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome!

I've had my share of shaky sheep questions, but I'm not that bad! I can think of 5, so there is some wiggle room. Don't overthink "wielded" ... Stick with the synonym "handled".
Old 11-18-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dammit. I'm done with all my answers but I can't quite decide where to put my slams. Do I use it for what I think are sheepier answers, or to turn reverses? Fuck this game.
Old 11-18-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look at wielded and handled as two different things. Which are we going with?

Definition of wielded: to use (a weapon, instrument, etc.) effectively; handle or employ actively.
Old 11-18-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, "handled" would suggest anyone who has touched a lighstabre, "wielded" would suggest someone who has turned one on and taken a swing with it.
Old 11-18-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Palaver
I look at wielded and handled as two different things. Which are we going with?

Definition of wielded: to use (a weapon, instrument, etc.) effectively; handle or employ actively.
Agreed. Would like to be able to submit a new answer without penalty if we take wielded as simply held one at some point.
Old 11-18-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Dammit. I'm done with all my answers but I can't quite decide where to put my slams. Do I use it for what I think are sheepier answers, or to turn reverses? Fuck this game.
If you're asking for advice, I've always regretted using {sd} to turn reverses. The -24 I would have gotten on some questions more than makes up for the +10 I got on a high matching reverse.
Old 11-18-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Answers submitted. Thanks for putting this together, Abob Teff.
Old 11-18-16, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answers submitted. Now I expect this Star Wars sheep game to proceed without ANY controversy. Because we all know how easy-going and laid-back Star Wars fans are, right?
Old 11-18-16, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

'You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss three bucks goodbye' answers submitted, thanks!
Old 11-18-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Awesome!

I can think of at least 4. And my interpretation of the question is that it needed at the very least to be turned on and used for something by said person.
Old 11-18-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Agreed. Would like to be able to submit a new answer without penalty if we take wielded as simply held one at some point.
I am going to change the wording to "handled" and will allow anybody who has submitted the opportunity to change his/her answer without penalty.

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak
Answers submitted. Now I expect this Star Wars sheep game to proceed without ANY controversy. Because we all know how easy-going and laid-back Star Wars fans are, right?
It's an Abob Teff game ... There will be controversy. There will be. Besides, go back and read the last Star Wars game (after you submit your answers).
Old 11-18-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So far, answers received from:

bunkaroo
hasslein
The Bus
Kal-El
Palaver
Lord Zarak
wishbone
Old 11-19-16, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Winning answers submitted here
Old 11-19-16, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

I felt a great disturbance in the force....

..and woke up to this.

Answers submitted
Old 11-19-16, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The early poll numbers are looking pretty good ... The AP is already predicting Padme Amidala will handily defeat Senator Palpatine even without some of the outer rim swing systems.

bunkaroo
hasslein
The Bus
Kal-El
Palaver
Lord Zarak
wishbone
Crocker Jarmen
cruzness
drexl

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.