Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite live action Superman related series?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which is your favorite Superman related series?
Superman 55
20.00%
Superboy
0%
Lois and Clark
40.00%
Smallville
30.00%
Supergirl
10.00%
Give them all some Kryptonite.
0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-16, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Since Superman is the superhero which has had the most TV series based on him or related to him with five series I thought this would be interesting to see.

Superman: The classic George Reeves series. Was entertaining for it's day and taken on it's own accord is still pretty entertaining but definitely corny.

Superboy: The Salkinds last hurrah with the character they made a big screen icon. It was a syndicated series so obviously it's very low budget and definitely doesn't hold up very well. But we did get to see some Superman villains show up like Mr. Mxzypltk.

Lois and Clark: Probably my favorite. Dean Cain was a good Superman and Terri Hatcher was a good Lois. Lot's of fond memories watching this even though I honestly don't think it ages that well either with it having some pretty lousy plots. One episode featured Superman solving his problem by drilling his way to China.

Smallville: Honestly probably should have only lasted five seasons. It was entertaining but for pete's sake did it have it's stupid moments.

Supergirl: The current series on TV. Has the best special effects and Melissa Benoist is great as the lead but this season has been rather awful so far.
Old 11-15-16, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Favorite live action Superman related series?

I was born during the run of the George Reeves version and saw those multiple times during the syndicated run in the early 60's. For nostalgia, this is what I think of when I think of Superman.

I was not a huge fan of Superboy or of Smallville.

My vote is for Lois and Clark. Can any of us forget, "Who's asking, Clark or Superman?" This show sure had actors who could handle the drama whn necessary and also the inherent comedy as well as carry on a believable romance/courtship. The marriage surely hastened the demise of the show. For the time, the effects were pretty good, just not a lot of supervillians (cartoony villians galore-to many).

I enjoyed the first season of Supergirl, this season, not so much. The show seems to more about making "issue" statements rather than just be a very well done comic book show.

Interesting idea for a poll.
Old 11-15-16, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Outside of animated, I'd go with Lois and Clark.
Old 11-16-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Superman 55
Old 11-16-16, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Superman 55
Old 11-16-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Not familiar with Reeves Supes or Superboy, so out of the remaining three I'd go with Smallville. It has it's warts, but damn the casting was fantastic. I've been rewatching the entire series with my kids since Summer, so it's fresh on my mind. We're at the end of season 6 so we're past the down years(4-5) and on the upswing.

It's a ridiculously entertaining show, largely due to the cast, and a much better watch on disc/marathon than weekly. It's easier to ignore some of the dumb stuff when you're churning through them.
Old 11-16-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Came down to Lois and Clark vs. Smallville for me. I gave the edge to Lois and Clark.
Old 11-16-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Loved Smallville even though it had a sometimes rocky road in it's 10 year run.

But, I have to give the edge to Lois & Clark even though it only lasted 4 seasons. Dean Cain was a very charming Superman I thought. Teri Hatcher was a spunky, fun, sexy and mature Lois. I liked Erica Durance's portrayal's of Lois in Smallville, but it took some time for her to grow in the role.
Old 11-16-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Lois & Clark was great for a couple of seasons. It was more faithful to the characters than just about any other television series. Both Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher fit the roles to a tee.

Smallville simply had too many problems despite the very likable characters. It's too bad Berlanti never got his hands on Smallville, the show would have likely been amazing under him.
Old 11-16-16, 03:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

The original by far, although I enjoy them all (though have seen very little of a couple).
Old 11-16-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Smallville for me. Though when I did get into the show it was already airing Season 8 I think it was so I got to marathon the first 7 seasons fairly quickly so that might have made my watch of it more enjoyable compared to spending 7 years on it.
Old 11-16-16, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Lois and Clark is PAINFULLY unwatchable. Then again, it was the same back in the 90s. Smallville was fun for the first 4 seasons, and then got tediously repetitive and ridiculous ("The Red-Blue Blur!"). Remember when Doomsday was a boy-band-reject-looking paramedic?

George Reeves Superman or Supergirl... hmm. Love them both for different reasons. Giving the edge to Reeves only because Supergirl is still fresh out of the zone.