Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Leon Russell RIP

Old 11-13-16, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leon Russell RIP

He passed away in his sleep this morning at the age of 74 in Nashville.
Old 11-13-16, 10:54 AM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts
Re: Leon Russell RIP

Man...

I think there will be atleast one more yuuuugely major one by the end of 2016.
Old 11-13-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I actually own 'Carney' on LP. Was in my Dad's collection.
Old 11-13-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

2016 - The Year the Music Died.
Old 11-13-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

What a crappy year for musicians to bite the dust. Leon, Cohen, Prince, Bowie, Frey, Maurice White.
Old 11-13-16, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another major loss to the music world. he was currently on tour and I had planned to go see him. his incredibly duets album he made with Elton john several years ago had renewed my appreciation for his artistry. Elton claims leon was a major influence on him starting out, which I can definatly hear in his boogie piano style. leon was so talented, before starting his solo career, he was a member of the "wrecking crew", a group of the greatest studio session musicians of the 60s that played on almost every major record to come out of l.a. music scene in the 60s, every genre you could possibly imagine
Old 11-14-16, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorow
another major loss to the music world. he was currently on tour and I had planned to go see him. his incredibly duets album he made with Elton john several years ago had renewed my appreciation for his artistry. Elton claims leon was a major influence on him starting out, which I can definatly hear in his boogie piano style. leon was so talented, before starting his solo career, he was a member of the "wrecking crew", a group of the greatest studio session musicians of the 60s that played on almost every major record to come out of l.a. music scene in the 60s, every genre you could possibly imagine
He did a lot of producing also. All the Gary Lewis and The Playboys recordings and worked with Dylan producing some of his recordings also. Worked a lot with Carl Radle and Jim Keltner before they were in Derek and The Dominos. Not sure if he had any involvement with Delaney and Bonnie.

Thing I remember most. In 1975, I-35 was not yet completed. They started at the north and sound ends, meeting in the middle in Missouri. There was a several mile stretch where you detoured onto an old highway through rural Missouri.
That summer I was driving from Kansas City to Davenport, IA. in the middle of the night. It was a hot summer night, the windows rolled down, cruising through the boondocks with Leon Live 8-Track playing.
Old 11-14-16, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

He was a icon in the 70's and 80's and really loved around here in Nashville...thanks for all Leon...