The Flash (S3E05) -- "Monster" -- 11/1/16

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Flash (S3E05) -- "Monster" -- 11/1/16

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 1

THE FLASH

"Monster" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

CAITLIN CALLS ON HER MOTHER FOR HELP WITH HER GROWING META POWERS - Desperate to understand what is happening to her, Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) visits her mother, Dr. Tannhauser (guest star Susan Walters), a renowned biomedical researcher, in the hopes that her mother can provide some answers about Caitlin's growing meta-human powers. However, when Dr. Tannhauser treats her daughter like a test subject, Caitlin grows cold and brings up past wounds causing the two to have a major blowout. Meanwhile, after a mysterious new meta-human attacks Central City, Barry (Grant Gustin) tries to convince Julian (Tom Felton) to let him assist on the case. Kim Miles directed the episode written by Zack Stentz (#305). Original airdate 11/1/2016.

Episode 5 of 23
Old 11-02-16, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Flash (S3E05) -- "Monster" -- 11/1/16

I thought for the most part this was a terrible episode.

Super campy and silly. Monster plot was dumb and a waste of time. A hologram? Really? Because fat kid was being picked on in school and wanted to have some power?

And the new Earth 19 Wells was super annoying. Turns out he's fucking useless and not even a scientist. The rambling and playing off words from Cisco got super annoying.

The only thing I found moderately interesting was Caitlin's powers starting to manifest into Killer Frost.

Probably one of the worst episode of the series run.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-02-16 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-02-16, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I thought for the most part this was a terrible episode.

Super campy and silly. Monster plot was dumb and a waste of time. A hologram? Really? Because fat kid was being picked on in school and wanted to have some power?

And the new Earth 19 Wells was super annoying. Turns out he's fucking useless and not even a scientist. The rambling and playing off words from Cisco got super annoying.

The only thing I found moderately interesting was Caitlin's powers starting to manifest into Killer Frost.

Probably one of the worst episode of the series run.
Caitlin's story was the best of the bunch.

Not sure what the point of this Wells will be for the team if he can't add anything to it.
Old 11-02-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worst episode of the series by far. Didn't even try to explain how a hologram would set off car alarms and make transformers explode. And I already can't stand HR WW (Worthless Wells).

The Caitlin story would have been tolerable if the mom wasn't yet another duck lipped older actress cast on a CW show. What is it with them and older women that have had work done?
Old 11-02-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
The Caitlin story would have been tolerable if the mom wasn't yet another duck lipped older actress cast on a CW show. What is it with them and older women that have had work done?
Dunno. Compare how Susan Walters looked on Vampire Diaries to how she looked here. Big difference. I didn't recognize her at first. At least it's not as bad as how Famke Janssen looked on The Blacklist.
Old 11-02-16, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah this was the textbook definition of filler. Not much to say about it other than I enjoyed clueless Wells and seeing Barry and Cisco as roomies. Also liked Caitlin's story but other than that....yeah.
Old 11-02-16, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Filler, but entertaining filler nonetheless. I liked the Caitlin storyline too, but I think there were more decent moments than the rest of you are letting on.

Barry living with Cisco is cool, especially given their rocky start this season over Flash not saving Cisco's brother. Julian's backstory about becoming the top scientist in his field and then realizing he's worthless once MetaHumans came into existence was a fascinating way to take his character. Barry and Julian making nice at the end and going for a beer was also cool.

So all in all, some decent moments even if the core story wasn't the strongest.
Old 11-02-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Julian's backstory about becoming the top scientist in his field and then realizing he's worthless once MetaHumans came into existence was a fascinating way to take his character. Barry and Julian making nice at the end and going for a beer was also cool.
I did enjoy that as well. For the first time I didn't keep hearing Malfoy every time he spoke because they made his character that same kind of constant dick. If this is indeed a long term end to that, then the series will be better for it.
Old 11-02-16, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

It was also just ludicrous how the assistant scientist "attempted" to kidnap Caitlin for his own benefit.

"Yo I'm taller, darker, and heavier than you, you best just stay put and let me run all kinds of tests on you like a lab rat!"
Old 11-02-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
It was also just ludicrous how the assistant scientist "attempted" to kidnap Caitlin for his own benefit.

"Yo I'm taller, darker, and heavier than you, you best just stay put and let me run all kinds of tests on you like a lab rat!"
Yeah that was another eye roller. Stupid assistant tired of playing 2nd fiddle.

I rarely make negative comments on shows that I'm a hardcore fan of. But, this was not a good Flash episode no matter how some of you try to give it a positive spin. They can't all be winners with 23 episodes per season.
Old 11-02-16, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

That was bad. Aside from NOT getting away with it what made him think he could hold someone with her powers.
Old 11-03-16, 12:15 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like it if she's turning into Killer Frost... why not doing good with her powers?!
Old 11-03-16, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassy28
I don't like it if she's turning into Killer Frost... why not doing good with her powers?!
Because...Flashpoint.
Old 11-03-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

This whole keeping powers a secret from the team shit it TIRESOME. You know god damn well they are probably your best bet in terms of help and you know they aren't going to lock yo up "just because".
Old 11-03-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Filler, but entertaining filler nonetheless. I liked the Caitlin storyline too, but I think there were more decent moments than the rest of you are letting on.

Barry living with Cisco is cool, especially given their rocky start this season over Flash not saving Cisco's brother. Julian's backstory about becoming the top scientist in his field and then realizing he's worthless once MetaHumans came into existence was a fascinating way to take his character. Barry and Julian making nice at the end and going for a beer was also cool.

So all in all, some decent moments even if the core story wasn't the strongest.
All Points.

I like this Wells.
Old 11-03-16, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

That kid is a genius. They should give him a job at STAR labs.
Old 11-03-16, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

It seems like most of the intragroup dynamic problems from the second episode seemed to have been resolved in relatively short order. Cisco is back to Cisco quite quickly, and there is no tension between Joe and Iris.
Old 11-03-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which is on one hand a good thing, but the other hand seemed to have wrapped up that shit too neatly and quickly.
Old 11-04-16, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
That's the problem with the plot, -or one of them. If a teen could create a hologram that was that big and that convincing in broad daylight, he wouldn't be headed for jail: A major corporation would work out a deal for him in exchange for his employment.
Old 11-04-16, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I really thought Joe was going to take him there.
Old 11-04-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Which is on one hand a good thing, but the other hand seemed to have wrapped up that shit too neatly and quickly.

Man oh man...DC just can't Win.
Old 11-05-16, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

That was a clumsy turn in the plot. I would guess they had a limited time slot for that scene given the other stuff going on in the episode and couldn't add any kind of backstory for the assistant. It may have even been written and filmed after the rest of the episode.

Caitlin's mother was a callous, cold person. Maybe that was intentional. Caitlin and the gang are aware her double on Earth 2 became a villain when she got powers. I might hide them too if I started manifesting powers.