DVD Talk
David Crosby Slams Kanye West: 'He Can Neither Sing, nor Write, nor Play'. [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : David Crosby Slams Kanye West: 'He Can Neither Sing, nor Write, nor Play'.

Sonny Corinthos
10-29-16, 09:19 AM
David Crosby hasn't been particularly quiet about his distaste for Kanye West in the past and appearing on Watch What Happens Live Tuesday night he didn't hold back.

Speaking with host Andy Cohen about his new album, the conversation turned to West and the Crosby, Stills & Nash icon echoed an argument about West he's made before.

"He can neither sing, nor write, nor play," Crosby said. "The thing that bugs me about him is the 'I'm the greatest living rock star.' Somebody needs to drive him over to Stevie Wonder’s house right now so he understands what a real one is. Secondly, they should send him all of Ray Charles' catalog so he can learn how to sing."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7557663/david-crosby-kanye-west-watch-what-happens-live

Ringmaster
10-29-16, 09:48 AM
I'm not a fan of Kanye but why go out your way to bash him? Crosby's big mouth got him in water with his "buddy" Neil Young. He should focus on patching things up with Neil instead of wasting energy on Kanye IMO.

Supermallet
10-29-16, 11:20 AM
David Crosby hasn't written or performed a song worth hearing since 1970.

Greg MacGuffin
10-29-16, 02:57 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/019/304/old.jpg

Jason
10-30-16, 04:41 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LV0wTtiJygY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Coral
10-30-16, 05:07 PM
When asked what he thought about David Crosby's comments on him, Kanye West responded with "Who?".

bd007h
10-30-16, 06:44 PM
well, he isn't wrong.

and Crosby has been in two legendary groups.

bd007h
10-30-16, 06:45 PM

ummm, The bulk of CSN(&Y)'s hits came out in the 70s.

jgorow
10-30-16, 07:59 PM
sam kinison said it best "you don't see real rock stars grabbing hold of their genitals, when you are playing a guitar, you don't have the time to grab your genitals" did I offend anyone?

Alan Smithee
10-31-16, 12:59 AM

Kayne West hasn't written or performed a song worth hearing- ever. ;)

Supermallet
10-31-16, 03:49 PM
Kayne West hasn't written or performed a song worth hearing- ever. ;)

Sounds like you haven't heard much of his work. CSN(Y) was fine for what they were, but if I were forced to choose to never listen to either them or Kanye ever again, it would be them in a heartbeat and I would never regret it.

B5Erik
10-31-16, 04:05 PM
Sounds like you haven't heard much of his work. CSN(Y) was fine for what they were, but if I were forced to choose to never listen to either them or Kanye ever again, it would be them in a heartbeat and I would never regret it.
Ugh. Kanye is a joke. A bad one.

Give me CSN(Y) every single time over Kanye.

Groucho
10-31-16, 04:10 PM
Talk about an apples and oranges comparison. But Crosby's rant seems weird. Reminds me of when Gene Simmons randomly started dissing Men Without Hats.

Decker
10-31-16, 05:04 PM
My wife & daughter went to Kanye's St. Pablo tour this weekend, so did my friend. All three said it was the best concert they ever saw. I'm not much of a rap concert fan, but it did look to be a cool show. Kanye performed the entire show from a suspended stage above the audience. Not my scene, but hard to deny it looks pretty cool and is imaginatively staged :

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TufC9ZK6vJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Norm de Plume
10-31-16, 05:09 PM
I have no idea about his "music" (I haven't heard any of it), but I find him a detestable egomaniac, and his connection to the Kartrashcans only cements my contempt.

Supermallet
10-31-16, 07:00 PM

You may find him a joke, but he's often a brilliant artist. And I don't mind CSNY, but outside of the song "Woodstock", which they didn't even write, their stuff is largely forgettable to me.

cdollaz
10-31-16, 09:36 PM
I have no idea about his "music" (I haven't heard any of it), but I find him a detestable egomaniac, and his connection to the Kartrashcans only cements my contempt.

That is how I feel. I am not familiar with his music. It may be really good, but I find him to be such a despicable person that I will never explore it.

Norm de Plume
10-31-16, 11:00 PM
^Precisely. And if, by chance, I heard his music and liked it, I would be loath to admit it.

Alan Smithee
11-01-16, 12:26 AM
I'll admit when music is good no matter who it's from- there are a number of Britney Spears tracks on my guilty pleasures list, but I haven't heard a single thing from Kanye West to even make that list. CSNY aren't my favorite either but they're FAR closer to real music.

It's not that I'm old- a lot of today's music really does suck! :)

B5Erik
11-01-16, 12:38 AM
You may find him a joke, but he's often a brilliant artist.
Brilliant? -rolleyes-

Riiiiiiiiiight.

sven
11-01-16, 06:16 AM
He also has no flow. The man is truly talentless. Well he's clearly good at self promotion but he's still a terrible artist.

bunkaroo
11-01-16, 09:20 AM
I don't give a shit about music from either of them, but I am curious to know why West often gets labeled as a genius or similar praise. What is he doing specifically that's so groundbreaking? I don't know anything about his material so it's an honest question. Snippets I have heard sound like the typical "find a simple beat or bassline and meld it with some sample of an already popular song from the past".

Troy Stiffler
11-01-16, 12:14 PM
I think Kanye is top of his game in the mainstream. Problem is, mainstream music is like, 2%, of what hooks me.

Giantrobo
11-01-16, 01:38 PM

If nothing else, you're consistent in your hatred for anything different. :up:

Giantrobo
11-01-16, 01:42 PM
Somewhere in the timestream Mozart is calling David Crosby a musical hack...

Hokeyboy
11-01-16, 01:44 PM
Crosby and West should both be tied to the same anchor. For whatever talents they may or may not possess, both are World Class Asshats.

Dan
11-01-16, 02:16 PM

"Mozart? Bitch, please." - Kassiani

Supermallet
11-01-16, 02:59 PM
Brilliant? -rolleyes-

Riiiiiiiiiight.

You've let us know some of the shit you listen to. Don't act all high and mighty now. :lol:

bunkaroo
11-01-16, 03:09 PM
Still curious as to what makes West brilliant.

Groucho
11-01-16, 03:29 PM
Here's a good high-level overview of Kanye West that may or may not increase your appreciation of him: http://www.avclub.com/article/a-beginners-guide-to-the-music-of-kanye-west-90364

Troy Stiffler
11-01-16, 03:32 PM
Ugh. I'm talking about stuff I don't really have a handle on. I've never been a big Kanye West fan. So I might sound dumb here.

Kanye's instrumentals are what mostly interest me. There is some avant garde stuff (I'm thinking of Twisted Fantasy) in there. That's where the feeling are. In a mainstream sense, he is unique and maybe brilliant. To anyone who listens to hip hop outside the mainstream, what he does isn't special. I can become infatuated with anything from Rhymesayers and Kanye is a fart in the wind.

bunkaroo
11-01-16, 03:44 PM
Here's a good high-level overview of Kanye West that may or may not increase your appreciation of him: http://www.avclub.com/article/a-beginners-guide-to-the-music-of-kanye-west-90364

Thanks. A lot of info there...seems like a love letter for sure. So basically he's always been a good producer and has his fingerprints on a lot of popular hip-hop. That's cool. Still don't see what makes him think he's the best thing ever, but I guess hubris is part of the genre.

To anyone who listens to hip hop outside the mainstream, what he does isn't special. I can become infatuated with anything from Rhymesayers and Kanye is a fart in the wind.

This definitely helps me understand some more. I don't want to dismiss West outright since as a metal guy, I know how easily a genre can be dismissed as all "sounding the same". I see lots of people refer to Corey Taylor and Slipknot as so revolutionary and special, and I'm like what? So to the mainstream fan they certainly would sound unique, but to those who listen to metal outside the mainstream, it's largely unremarkable.

rw2516
11-01-16, 04:02 PM
And I don't mind CSNY, but outside of the song "Woodstock", which they didn't even write, their stuff is largely forgettable to me.

Crosby is a founding member of The Byrds, considered one of the most important and influential bands of all time.

Thrush
11-01-16, 04:07 PM
Ugh. I'm talking about stuff I don't really have a handle on. I've never been a big Kanye West fan. So I might sound dumb here.

Kanye's instrumentals are what mostly interest me. There is some avant garde stuff (I'm thinking of Twisted Fantasy) in there. That's where the feeling are. In a mainstream sense, he is unique and maybe brilliant. To anyone who listens to hip hop outside the mainstream, what he does isn't special. I can become infatuated with anything from Rhymesayers and Kanye is a fart in the wind.

Kanye is basically now what Dr Dre used to be. Not a terribly good rapper or writer (of rap). But his production is what sets him apart.

Norm de Plume
11-01-16, 04:49 PM
"Mozart? Bitch, please." - Kassiani
:lol: Good stuff, guys.
I'll admit when music is good no matter who it's from- there are a number of Britney Spears tracks on my guilty pleasures list...
Yes, I suppose so. I have to admit, I'm extremely fond of the Enrique Iglesias album, Escape. Perhaps I should just leave now.

Supermallet
11-01-16, 06:33 PM
Crosby is a founding member of The Byrds, considered one of the most important and influential bands of all time.

I do like The Byrds more than CSNY in general, but that doesn't really contradict my argument that he hasn't done anything of worth since the early 1970s.

kstublen
11-05-16, 07:34 PM
I think the problem with Kanye is that a lot of people forget he wasn't always like this. Kanye West in "The College Dropout" and "Late Registration" era wasn't this same egomaniac. And before those albums came out (when he was mainly just producing) he wasn't like that in public either. Now, maybe he was crazy and ranting all the time behind closed doors, but he didn't present like that out in public.

Fast forward a few years and he's more in the public conscious, one of the best-selling artists, and he's really amping up the ego, hubris, and self-indulgence. I tend to think it's part of his stage presence and putting on a show, but maybe not.

All that aside though, I think Kanye is a great talent and maybe I'm biased because I've been listening to him for so long, but he always seems willing to do what he wants and push the limits of what's "acceptable" in hip hop. His albums all have their own distinct sound to them and each feels a natural progression from the last. I always enjoy when he has a new album coming out because I know it's not just going to be a rehash of the last album and will be something new and exciting.

But I can separate Kanye "the man" from Kanye "the musician" - if you can't do that then I don't think you'd ever be able to enjoy his music.

EDIT: And I'd just like to add that I don't think criticizing him as just "finding something and sampling it" is fair. It's a lot more nuanced than that and takes musical talent to produce the music. It's not like every other artist that came before him didn't do something similar; whether it was sampling, borrowing a melody, taking a riff, or drawing inspiration.

auto
11-05-16, 07:45 PM
That was a really well written and intelligent post.

AaronHernandez
11-07-16, 02:47 AM
I worry for Kanye as things don't really turn out the best for Kardashian men

Rob Sr died of cancer
Bruce is now a woman and with Cat Lady/Joan Rivers old lady face
Rob Jr is super obese
Scott Disick the former husband of Kourtney Kardashian is has a really bad alcohol problem and the liver of a 60 year old in his early 30s

creekdipper
11-07-16, 06:42 AM
sam kinison said it best "you don't see real rock stars grabbing hold of their genitals, when you are playing a guitar, you don't have the time to grab your genitals" did I offend anyone?

That is the most astute observation in this entire thread. :up:

I do like The Byrds more than CSNY in general, but that doesn't really contradict my argument that he hasn't done anything of worth since the early 1970s.

Well, he is the biological father of Melissa Etheridge's children. :shrug:

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. Hebrews 13:2

Supermallet
11-07-16, 01:49 PM
I think the problem with Kanye is that a lot of people forget he wasn't always like this. Kanye West in "The College Dropout" and "Late Registration" era wasn't this same egomaniac. And before those albums came out (when he was mainly just producing) he wasn't like that in public either. Now, maybe he was crazy and ranting all the time behind closed doors, but he didn't present like that out in public.

Fast forward a few years and he's more in the public conscious, one of the best-selling artists, and he's really amping up the ego, hubris, and self-indulgence. I tend to think it's part of his stage presence and putting on a show, but maybe not.

All that aside though, I think Kanye is a great talent and maybe I'm biased because I've been listening to him for so long, but he always seems willing to do what he wants and push the limits of what's "acceptable" in hip hop. His albums all have their own distinct sound to them and each feels a natural progression from the last. I always enjoy when he has a new album coming out because I know it's not just going to be a rehash of the last album and will be something new and exciting.

But I can separate Kanye "the man" from Kanye "the musician" - if you can't do that then I don't think you'd ever be able to enjoy his music.

EDIT: And I'd just like to add that I don't think criticizing him as just "finding something and sampling it" is fair. It's a lot more nuanced than that and takes musical talent to produce the music. It's not like every other artist that came before him didn't do something similar; whether it was sampling, borrowing a melody, taking a riff, or drawing inspiration.

Best post in the thread and I thoroughly agree. However I am not surprised that there isn't a lot of love for Kanye on this board.

stingermck
11-22-16, 07:39 AM
Kanye update: Committed.

slop101
11-22-16, 12:07 PM
Love or hate him (a case can be made for either), I think this gif boils Kanye down to his essence:

http://i.imgur.com/QEB4Scr.gif

He's just a calculated showman.
(FWIW, I mostly dig guitar-based rock and haven't really listened to hip-hop since the early '90s, but I cannot deny the brilliance of some of his albums, especially "Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy").

Troy Stiffler
11-25-16, 09:23 PM
This is awesome. I don't believe it. Alex Jones is a hoot.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1ltHMdTR9JE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

brayzie
12-09-16, 05:31 AM
Love or hate him (a case can be made for either), I think this gif boils Kanye down to his essence:

He's just a calculated showman.
(FWIW, I mostly dig guitar-based rock and haven't really listened to hip-hop since the early '90s, but I cannot deny the brilliance of some of his albums, especially "Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy").

:lol: at the gif.

I also really like "Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy." But yeah, all this stuff seems to be him being what you said, a calculated showman. You gotta keep your name out there and court controversy once in a while in order to stay relevant with an ever changing, youthful market.

creekdipper
12-16-16, 10:35 AM
:lol: at the gif.

But yeah, all this stuff seems to be him being what you said, a calculated showman.

Evidently it takes one to appreciate one. Great egos think alike.

http://static.snopes.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/kanye-west-donald-trump.jpg

Meet the new ambassador to Lovetron.

Through wisdom a house is built,
And by understanding it is established;

By knowledge the rooms are filled
With all precious and pleasant riches Prov. 23: 3-4

statcat
12-16-16, 12:39 PM
Reminds me of when Gene Simmons randomly started dissing Men Without Hats.

Ivan: "Oh, it was great. There is no bad news, first of all. And I love Gene. Gene is one of the funniest guys in rock 'n' roll. If you got enough money, you can get Gene Simmons to scratch your back. And I know Gene did it all in good fun because his son is friends with my manager, so I'm pretty sure that's where it all started."

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0