Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Great Indoors (CBS) -- S: Joel McHale -- Series Thread -- Premieres 10/27/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Great Indoors (CBS) -- S: Joel McHale -- Series Thread -- Premieres 10/27/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

great_indoors_ver2_xlg_FULL
image upload no size limit

JOEL MCHALE STARS AS JACK, A RENOWNED ADVENTURE REPORTER FOR AN OUTDOOR MAGAZINE WHO MUST ADAPT TO THE TIMES WHEN HE BECOMES THE DESK-BOUND BOSS TO A GROUP OF MILLENNIALS IN THE DIGITAL DEPARTMENT OF THE PUBLICATION, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF THE NEW COMEDY "THE GREAT INDOORS," THURSDAY, OCT. 27

Editor's note: The air time of this episode has changed.

Joel McHale, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Susannah Fielding, Chris Williams, Christine Ko, Shaun Brown and Stephen Fry Star

"Pilot" - Joel McHale stars as Jack, a renowned adventure reporter for an outdoor magazine who must adapt to the times when he becomes the new desk-bound boss to a group of millennials in the digital department of the publication, on the series premiere of the new comedy THE GREAT INDOORS, Thursday, Oct. 27 (8:30-9:01 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Joel McHale, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Susannah Fielding, Chris Williams, Christine Ko, Shaun Brown and Stephen Fry star.

Jack has led a thrilling "outdoorsy" life exploring the edges of the earth while chronicling his adventures for Outdoor Limits. But his globe-trotting days end when the magazine's charismatic founder and outdoor legend, Roland, announces the publication's move to web-only and assigns Jack to supervise their online team of "journalists." Jack's eager 20-something colleagues include Clark, a tech nerd who knows everything about surviving on Mars and a zombie apocalypse; Emma, their social media expert who views Jack as the human version of dial-up; and Mason, a hipster-lumberjack who hasn't spent any actual time outside. Jack reports to Roland's daughter, Brooke, an ex-flame who caters to the sensitive staffers by giving them all trophies just for working hard. Jack's best friend, Eddie, runs the local dive bar that's popular with the younger set and helps Jack "decode" his co-workers. Jack is baffled by the world of click-bait and listicles, but if he's patient, he may be able to show these kids that the outside world is much more than something on a screen... if he doesn't beat them with their selfie-sticks first.

REGULAR CAST:

Joel McHale (Jack)
Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Clark)
Susannah Fielding (Brooke)
Chris Williams (Eddie)
Christine Ko (Emma)
Shaun Brown (Mason)
AND: Stephen Fry (Roland)

GUEST CAST:

Amy Hill (Carol)
Jason Boegh (Philip)
Will Herndon (Millennial)
Deborah Baker, Jr. (Esther)
WRITTEN BY: Mike Gibbons

DIRECTED BY: Andy Ackerman

Old 10-27-16, 06:49 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: The Great Indoors (CBS) -- S: Joel McHale -- Series Thread -- Premieres 10/27/16

Damn you, McHale... Why CBS? WHY? I miss you so much since The Soup has gone away. I'll have to check this out.
Old 10-27-16, 03:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: The Great Indoors (CBS) -- S: Joel McHale -- Series Thread -- Premieres 10/27/16

yeah, i'll see this bc of him, but the bad reviews and premise have me a little soured...
Old 10-27-16, 05:43 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

I love stephen fry, so will DVR let some build up and see how you guys like it
Old 10-27-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

First new comedy I'm truly interested in since The Big Bang Theory started. Interesting to see how tonight turns out.

*EDIT*

Eh, the entire episode was just about everything the trailer for the show already covered. Nothing new...
Well at least this means ep2 should all be new content at least.

Last edited by Koby; 10-27-16 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-27-16, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
yeah, i'll see this bc of him, but the bad reviews and premise have me a little soured...
I read a few bad reviews earlier today. I watched the pilot and didn't think it was great. But I'll stuck around for Joel and to see if it improves.
Old 10-28-16, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Awww, McLovin grew up.
Old 10-28-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I lasted 7 minutes. Typical CBS sitcom with rapid-fire bad jokes and an over abundance of laugh track.
Old 10-28-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

There was one genuinely laugh out loud moment on the show when McLovin is all look I tied my own knots, and a few moments later he falls to the floor, and then the slow head turn look Joel McHale's character and the other person standing next to him give each other just had me laughing out loud...that was great, otherwise not a great show.
Old 10-31-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

The geezerly premise of "These kids today and their entitled attitudes." was worn out by the end of the first episode. I don't see this show lasting very long.
Old 10-31-16, 12:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I gave it 11 minutes...
Old 10-31-16, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Not great but maybe in the middle of good and bad compared to the rest of the new sitcommy shows.
Old 10-31-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

I can't understand how people like Joel McHale and Stephen Fry thought this would be a great show for their careers.
Old 10-31-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
I can't understand how people like Joel McHale and Stephen Fry thought this would be a great show for their careers.
They saw the other crap on CBS and decided to go for it?

As long as your jokes are well spelled out and exceptionally obvious, you have a good chance of getting 5 seasons or so there.