TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Knight Rider to return as Digital series in 2017 -- Justin Lin producing

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Knight Rider to return as Digital series in 2017 -- Justin Lin producing

http://deadline.com/2016/10/knight-r...in-1201842248/

Knight Rider, the 1980s action series that made David Hasselhoff a star, is getting the Machinima treatment. The digital network said today it is partnering with producer-director Justin Lin, YOMYOMF and NBCUniversal Brand Development to produce a digital series reboot that will target a 2017 launch.

Lin, who knows something about the care and feeding of franchises after directing Fast & Furious 6 and most recently Star Trek Beyond, is set to produce the series which is now in development. He also is developing another car-centric property, Hot Wheels, as a feature film at Legendary Pictures.

Machinma is backed by Warner Bros but is teaming with NBCU here. NBC aired the original series about the smart-car named KITT and its mysterious do-gooder driver Michael Knight, played by Hasselhoff. Created by Glen A. Larson, it ran four seasons from 1982-1986. The network tried to reboot the series in 2008 with Justin Bruening in the lead role but it lasted only one season.

Machinima has specialized in live-action series based on TV and and video game franchises. This will join Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome, Mortal Kombat: Legacy and and Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn among others. Combined, those series have garnered more than 300 million views on Machinima.

“Knight Rider is an iconic franchise whose concepts of AI and autonomous vehicles were science fiction in the 1980s and are now science fact,” CEO Chad Gutstein said. “Justin is one of the leading storytellers of his generation and we couldn’t be more excited to work with him on re-invigorating Knight Rider for a new generation of fans.”

I thought Machinima did a good job with the Mortal Kombat series from a few years ago. I wonder if this will be produced similar to that structure.

They have to get The Hoff to appear on this in some form. It's not like he's doing anything better right now.
Old 10-25-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Knight Rider to return as Digital series in 2017 -- Justin Lin producing

“Knight Rider is an iconic franchise whose concepts of AI and autonomous vehicles were science fiction in the 1980s and are now science fact,” CEO Chad Gutstein said. “Justin is one of the leading storytellers of his generation and we couldn’t be more excited to work with him on re-invigorating Knight Rider for a new generation of fans.”

So, what's their angle? What can KITT do that is unique today besides doing lame jumping stunts? I can go outside my office right now and I know I will see a Tesla or a self-driving car google car.
Old 10-27-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Because a reboot worked so well the last time.
Old 10-27-16, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Because a reboot worked so well the last time.
Digital series. Much lower production costs and expectations.

If this follows the same format as Mortal Kombat, each episode will probably be no more than 15-20 minutes each.
Old 10-27-16, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

“Justin is one of the leading storytellers of his generation..."

The only reason I'd watch this is if Hoff came back with his leather jacket & perm driving original KITT voiced by William Daniels and both drove through a wormhole into 2017.
Old 10-27-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by philo

The only reason I'd watch this is if Hoff came back with his leather jacket & perm driving original KITT voiced by William Daniels and both drove through a wormhole into 2017.
...where the average Camry or Accord driver will race him for pink slips.
Old 10-27-16, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan

So, what's their angle? What can KITT do that is unique today besides doing lame jumping stunts? I can go outside my office right now and I know I will see a Tesla or a self-driving car google car.
Yeah but can any of them do super pursuit mode. Ludicrous mode doesn't cut it.
Old 10-27-16, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Yeah but can any of them do super pursuit mode. Ludicrous mode doesn't cut it.
You mean when KITT had that low rent transformation mode?