Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S2E02) -- "The Justice Society of America" -- 10/20/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S2E02) -- "The Justice Society of America" -- 10/20/16

Old 10-20-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

JSOA
how to print screen on pc

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 20

DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW

"The Justice Society of America" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

TEAM WORK - The Legends travel to Nazi-occupied Paris, but find themselves surrounded by the Justice Society of America (AKA JSA.) The Legends discover a time aberration that threatens the JSA, but the JSA wants nothing to do with them or their help. Nevertheless, the Legends force their way into the JSA's mission to intercept and seize a mysterious package. Nate (Nick Zano) is desperate to prove that he should be part of the team, but he has a secret that he shares with his grandfather Commander Steel (Matthew MacCaull) that might make it difficult. Ray (Brandon Routh) is so focused on impressing the JSA, he puts himself and Vixen (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) in danger. Meanwhile, Stein (Victor Garber) has stepped in as the leader with Rip (Arthur Darvill) gone, but when decisions aren't being made Sara (Caity Lotz) seems to be the one calling the shots. Dominic Purcell and Franz Drameh also star. Michael Grossman directed the episode written by Chris Fedak & Sarah Nicole Jones (#202). Original airdate 10/20/2016.

Episode 2 of 13
Old 10-20-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S2E02) -- "The Justice Society of America" -- 10/20/16

Give me Dr Fate or GTFO
Old 10-20-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S2E02) -- "The Justice Society of America" -- 10/20/16

Is this going to be the same Hourman that showed up in the season 1 finale, or an earlier version? I'm not too familiar with the comic character.
Old 10-20-16, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Is this going to be the same Hourman that showed up in the season 1 finale, or an earlier version? I'm not too familiar with the comic character.
They never said what time period that Rex Tyler was from.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just...ety_of_America

The JSA comic wise has been around since the 1940's and that where they're from in tonight's episode (I assume). I have no knowledge if the characters are immortal or not to have them be able to come from the future.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-20-16 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-20-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's the 1940's why is Stargirl and there and not Starman.
Old 10-21-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the scene where they were discussing how to rescue Ray and Vixen; who's helmet was that next to the Red Tornado helmet on the shelf? I didn't recognize it.
Old 10-21-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

They aren't really using the classic 40's JSA line-up. They seem to have pulled some JSA characters from any point in history and placed them in the 40s.

The JSA has always been a problem for DC Comics since the original group is so firmly wedded to WWII. They have had to come up with increasingly tortured explanations for why people from the 40s are still around in healthy form.
Old 10-21-16, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They aren't really using the classic 40's JSA line-up. They seem to have pulled some JSA characters from any point in history and placed them in the 40s.

The JSA has always been a problem for DC Comics since the original group is so firmly wedded to WWII. They have had to come up with increasingly tortured explanations for why people from the 40s are still around in healthy form.
This is all confusing to me. Obviously the events in Flashpoint have changed the timestream (all 3 shows) in significant ways. Not clear which is from Flashpoint or just changes to the DCU to fit the show. Now Vixen is part of the JSA, when before she made an appearance in Arrow in 2015.

Also, does the JSA itself exist because of Flashpoint? There weren't supposed to be any super-powered (metas?) beings in the Arrowverse before the accelerator explosion.

Are all the changes because of Flashpoint, the Legends, Thawne, something/someone else? This is why time-travel shows generally suck.

Any speculation on what the medallion was? At first I thought it might be an Eclipso thing, but now I'm not sure.
Old 10-21-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
Now Vixen is part of the JSA, when before she made an appearance in Arrow in 2015.
This version of Vixen is different. She is a predecessor to the Vixen that appeared in Arrow.
Old 10-21-16, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrhan
This version of Vixen is different. She is a predecessor to the Vixen that appeared in Arrow.
This confuses me because Vixen (any version) wasn't a member of the JSA- so I naturally assumed it was a consequence of the Flashpoint storyline.
Old 10-21-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This confuses me because Vixen (any version) wasn't a member of the JSA- so I naturally assumed it was a consequence of the Flashpoint storyline.
Yeah. I only remember her from the old JLA comic where Aquaman was the leader and she was a member along with Vibe. To me the book sucked and it basically tanked after that.
Old 10-22-16, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Well, RIP Hour Man

Guess they really couldn't keep him around since Patrick J. Adams still works on Suits.

Silly, but fun episode. I at how Stein was such a trainwreck as team leader. I'm glad they now gave the job to Sara.

Regarding the confusion on Vixen. mrhan sort of touched on it earlier.

The Vixen that we met on Arrow was named Mari McCabe

The Vixen we saw in this episode is Amaya Jiwe, who is Mari's grandmother.

I have to admit, they did a great job casting this new Vixen. Maisie Richardson-Sellers is almost a dead ringer for Megalyn E.K.

I'm not familiar with Vixen's backstory, but I'm assuming the Legends writers are just creating their own version of her loosely based on the comic. The ancestor version seems to be created for the TV show.

It looks like Jiwe is going to be the new member of the Legends crew.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-22-16 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-22-16, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

How would Flashpoint affect events that took place decades before the death of Martha Allen?

I know, I know...

Spoiler:
Old 10-22-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is all confusing to me. Obviously the events in Flashpoint have changed the timestream (all 3 shows) in significant ways. Not clear which is from Flashpoint or just changes to the DCU to fit the show. Now Vixen is part of the JSA, when before she made an appearance in Arrow in 2015.

Also, does the JSA itself exist because of Flashpoint? There weren't supposed to be any super-powered (metas?) beings in the Arrowverse before the accelerator explosion.

Are all the changes because of Flashpoint, the Legends, Thawne, something/someone else? This is why time-travel shows generally suck.

Any speculation on what the medallion was? At first I thought it might be an Eclipso thing, but now I'm not sure.
I think the current idea with the JSA is that it did always exist but they operated in secret for the most part like covert agents. Introducing the JSA on Legends forces a lot of retcons on the Arrowverse's timeline. We just have to chalk everything up to Flashpoint and move on.

These are the cards Berlanti and staff were dealt since Arrow came first on television and they never anticipated Flash becoming a huge hit, introducing so many DC superheroes. It wouldn't have unfolded like this if they knew in advance we'd eventually get Supergirl, Flash, the Legends and Arrow with their own shows.
Old 10-23-16, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

Is Hawkgirl off the show for good?
Old 10-23-16, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
If it's the 1940's why is Stargirl and there and not Starman.
And why is Obsidian there, he's supposed to be the Golden Age Green Lantern's son.

That's about it, it's an odd mishmash of various versions of the JSA/All Star Squadron/Infinity Inc. etc. Still, it was fun to see a bunch of new heroes on the show. It would have been cool if they added the GA Atom, who is completely different from Ray Palmer's Atom. Wildcat would have been cool to see too.

And of course, Dr. Fate and the Spectre. Of course, there seemed to be plans for them on the Constantine TV show, so I'm not sure what's happening with them now.
Old 10-25-16, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would guess they couldn't get rights to every JSA character they wanted and went with characters that wouldn't be tough on the budget.
Old 10-26-16, 11:01 AM
Banned

I would guess they couldn't get rights to every JSA character they wanted and went with characters that wouldn't be tough on the budget.
That's too bad. Without Doctor Fate or The Spectre (I know we're not going to see any version Green Lantern in the Arrowverse) it's not really the JSA. Jim Corrigan exists in Constantine so we already have a connection with The Spectre and the Arrowverse.
Old 10-26-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
And why is Obsidian there, he's supposed to be the Golden Age Green Lantern's son.

That's about it, it's an odd mishmash of various versions of the JSA/All Star Squadron/Infinity Inc. etc. Still, it was fun to see a bunch of new heroes on the show. It would have been cool if they added the GA Atom, who is completely different from Ray Palmer's Atom. Wildcat would have been cool to see too.

And of course, Dr. Fate and the Spectre. Of course, there seemed to be plans for them on the Constantine TV show, so I'm not sure what's happening with them now.
Characters like Dr. Fate and the Spectre would through off the balance of power. The more people you include with god like powers the more questions of why aren't they taking care of everything or were the hell are they.
Old 10-26-16, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Is Hawkgirl off the show for good?
She's not in the cast (neither is Hawkman or Captain Cold). Maybe she'll be back in a guest spot, but as far as I know nothing has been announced.
Old 10-26-16, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Characters like Dr. Fate and the Spectre would through off the balance of power. The more people you include with god like powers the more questions of why aren't they taking care of everything or were the hell are they.
Current incarnations of the characters are godlike but in the 1940's they were no more powerful than Ibis, Sargon or any other magical superheroes of that time. The original versions would work if they had been included.
Old 10-27-16, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Should just called this WW2 group, The All-Star Squadron.
Old 10-27-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by will travel
Should just called this WW2 group, The All-Star Squadron.
That would have made more sense but even fewer people have heard that name than the JSA.

Dr. Fate was always pretty weak against ordinary criminals. He was useless much of the time facing anyone that wasn't a magical villain.
Old 10-29-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I loved that when it was mentioned that the singer the professor was impersonating was supposed to be over 6 feet tall, Sarah immediately made herself look smaller next to him. Good laugh there.