American Housewife (ABC) -- S: Katy Mixon, Diedrich Bader -- Series Thread

Old 10-11-16, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
American Housewife (ABC) -- S: Katy Mixon, Diedrich Bader -- Series Thread

American Housewife
upload jpg

SERIES PREMIERE

KATY MIXON ('MIKE & MOLLY') IS A MOM TRYING TO RAISE HER IMPERFECT FAMILY IN A 'PERFECT' TOWN, ON 'AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE'

Katy Mixon ("Mike & Molly") stars as Katie Otto, a confident, unapologetic wife and mother of three raising her flawed family in the wealthy town of Westport, Connecticut, filled with "perfect" mommies and their "perfect" offspring, in "American Housewife," premiering TUESDAY, OCTOBER 11 (8:30-9:00 p.m. EDT), on the ABC Television Network.

In "Pilot," Katie and husband Greg (Diedrich Bader, "The Drew Carey Show") have moved to Westport because the school district there is the best option for their youngest, Anna-Kat. Katie finds herself caught up in helping Anna-Kat fit in more while trying to assure that her older kids, Taylor and Oliver, immediately caught up in the luxe Westport lifestyle, fit in a little less. On top of this, Katie has her own insecurities about her place in their new town. Her perfectly imperfect world is upended when her neighbor's decision to move notches her up from her ideal social standing and sets her on a path to ensure that doesn't happen, regardless of the consequences.

"American Housewife" stars Katy Mixon as Katie Otto, Diedrich Bader as Greg Otto, Meg Donnelly as Taylor (in series), Daniel DiMaggio as Oliver, Julia Butters as Anna-Kat, Carly Hughes as Angela and Ali Wong as Doris. Johnny Sequoyah starred as Taylor in the pilot.

Leslie Bibb is a recurring guest star as Viv. Other guest stars are Mackenzie Marsh as Gail, Jeremy Howard as Nude Norman and Jeannette Sousa as Suzanne.

"Pilot" was written by Sarah Dunn and directed by Ruben Fleischer. "American Housewife" is written by Sarah Dunn ("Spin City," "Bunheads") and produced by Kapital Entertainment and ABC Studios. Sarah Dunn, Aaron Kaplan, Rick Wiener and Kenny Schwartz are executive producers. Ruben Fleischer was executive producer of the pilot.

Katy Mixon is probably best known to most of you here as April, Kenny Powers wife on Eastbound and Down.
Old 10-11-16, 10:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Re: American Housewife (ABC) -- S: Katy Mixon -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/11/1

This was so enjoyable. The parents, the kids, the friends, they all worked. Had a smile on the whole time...
Old 10-12-16, 08:12 PM

Re: American Housewife (ABC) -- S: Katy Mixon -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/11/1

Did anybody catch this?
Old 10-18-16, 08:42 PM

Anyone at all? It's fun. Mixon is always good as is Bader. Always liked him. Is this doing at all well?
Old 10-18-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

This week's show was better than last week's. Not as many odd things going on.
Old 10-18-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Isn't she the annoying Italianish stereotype sister on Mike and Maddy or whatever that show with the 2 overweight people was called?
Old 10-19-16, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm out. I thought the show might improve with the second episode, but she is obnoxious, hateful, disgusting and rude (and usually in the wrong). It's not in a cute, lovable way either, she is just not a good person. They try to tack on a happy family moment at the end to redeem the meanness of the vile characters, but it doesn't fit. I can't recall anything funny from either of the first two episodes, so that would normally be reason enough for me to quit watching.
And what's up with the exaggerated mouth movements when they speak? Especially on the boy. It gives me the creeps.
Old 10-19-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Yeah. This was pretty fucking terrible. The only laughs were at the little girl due to her "issues".
Old 10-19-16, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the second ep.

The house is a different house, the oldest daughter is a different actor.
First one was the girlfriend on The Goldbergs who moved away. She was good, this one not so much.

I think the quirky daughter is new too.

Mixon is awful.

This show could be good if they make Mixon likable or a new actor.

How does she get top billing over Bader?
Old 10-20-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife had a couple of laughs in the two episodes but I didn't like them much. Absolutely nobody likeable on the show. And what's with Mixon's speech? It's not an accent but I find it very odd.
Old 11-04-16, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
re: American Housewife (ABC) -- S: Katy Mixon, Diedrich Bader -- Series Thread

ABC orders full 22 episode season: http://deadline.com/2016/11/american...ls-1201849120/
Old 09-27-17, 07:02 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

SEASON PREMIERE

KATIE GETS ROPED INTO VOLUNTEERING AS THE KIDS GO BACK TO SCHOOL, ON THE SEASON TWO PREMIERE OF ABC'S 'AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE'

"Back to School" - Katie's efforts to get more time for herself backfire when she is forced to mend fences with the Westport moms by volunteering to run the school's spring gala. Meanwhile, Oliver proves to Katie that his passion for ballet is genuine, inspiring her to confront his belittling teacher and stick up for him. Taylor and Greg disagree over whether or not she needs to go to college while he teaches her how to drive, on the season two premiere of "American Housewife," airing on a new day and new time on WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 27 (9:31-10:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network.

"American Housewife" stars Katy Mixon as Katie Otto, Diedrich Bader as Greg Otto, Meg Donnelly as Taylor Otto, Daniel DiMaggio as Oliver Otto, Julia Butters as Anna-Kat Otto, Carly Hughes as Angela and Ali Wong as Doris.

"American Housewife" is written by Sarah Dunn ("Spin City," "Bunheads") and produced by Kapital Entertainment and ABC Studios. Sarah Dunn, Aaron Kaplan, Rick Wiener and Kenny Schwartz are executive producers.

"Back to School" was written by Rick Wiener and Kenny Schwartz and directed by Chris Koch.

"American Housewife" is broadcasted in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HTV format, with 5.1-channel surround sound.
Old 01-19-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

This weeks episode was fantastic, it was funny and sweet in all the right ways. The younger daughter cluing in her older sister that reverse psychology was being used on her was great.
Old 01-19-18, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

This show is much improved this season. First season was pretty rough. Mixon is still a ridiculous bitch, but I'm digging the kids and the family interaction as a whole works better now.
Old 01-19-18, 10:50 PM

I love this show...
Old 03-14-18, 09:43 PM

I’m still loving this show. Last ep tonight was great with Katy and Anna-Kat scheming. Lea Thompson directed this ep. She’s also done The Goldberg’s...
Old 09-26-18, 07:13 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

SEASON PREMIERE

KATIE HEADS BACK TO THE WORKING WORLD ON THE SEASON THREE PREMIERE OF ABC'S 'AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE,' WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 26

"Mom Guilt" - After spending years as a full-time mom, Katie goes back to work as a party planner, which brings new challenges of balancing home and work life into the mix, on the season three premiere of "American Housewife," airing at a new time WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 26 (8:30-9:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

"American Housewife" stars Katy Mixon as Katie Otto, Diedrich Bader as Greg Otto, Meg Donnelly as Taylor Otto, Daniel DiMaggio as Oliver Otto, Julia Butters as Anna-Kat Otto, Carly Hughes as Angela and Ali Wong as Doris.

"American Housewife" is written by Sarah Dunn ("Spin City," "Bunheads") and produced by Kapital Entertainment and ABC Studios. Sarah Dunn, Aaron Kaplan, Rick Wiener and Kenny Schwartz are executive producers.

"Mom Guilt" was written by Donald Diego and directed by Ken Whittingham.
Old 09-26-18, 09:50 PM

Re: American Housewife (ABC) -- S: Katy Mixon, Diedrich Bader -- Series Thread

I just adore this show. Anna-Kat’s impression of Katie was perfect.
Old 09-26-18, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I'm out. I thought the show might improve with the second episode, but she is obnoxious, hateful, disgusting and rude (and usually in the wrong). It's not in a cute, lovable way either, she is just not a good person. They try to tack on a happy family moment at the end to redeem the meanness of the vile characters, but it doesn't fit. I can't recall anything funny from either of the first two episodes, so that would normally be reason enough for me to quit watching.
And what's up with the exaggerated mouth movements when they speak? Especially on the boy. It gives me the creeps.
This is the issue I have with the show.

Didn’t watch season 2, did this character trait change?
Old 09-11-20, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

They've had to recast Anna-Kat.

EXCLUSIVE: Life In Pieces alumna Giselle Eisenberg will take over the character of 10-year-old Anna-Kat on ABC’s American Housewife as the comedy series returns for a fifth season. She replaces original cast member Julia Butters who is leaving the show to pursue other opportunities.
https://deadline.com/2020/09/america...-5-1234575693/

I guess once you've done a Tarantino movie, you're too big for sitcoms.
Old 09-11-20, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
They've had to recast Anna-Kat.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/america...-5-1234575693/

I guess once you've done a Tarantino movie, you're too big for sitcoms.
I'm out then. Literally the only reason I watched the show was because I saw Butters in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and wondered what else she had done that Tarantino would give her such a large role.

Meg Donnelly is rather easy on the eyes, but not enough to keep me watching..

ETA: A couple of months ago the cast was on Celebrity Family Feud, and I found it odd that Butters didn't participate. Makes sense now.
Old 09-11-20, 09:34 PM

this sucks. i love this show and Anna-Kat and Butters quirkiness playing her was so good. my favorite of all the kids. that's a real shame. it won't be the same.
Old 09-13-20, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What "other opportunities" are there for a 10-year old actress?

Not a lot of movies are made that feature a child in the lead role, and the few that do are usually teenagers at least.
Old 09-13-20, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
What "other opportunities" are there for a 10-year old actress?

Not a lot of movies are made that feature a child in the lead role, and the few that do are usually teenagers at least.
She could have her own Disney Channel show.
Old 09-13-20, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
She could have her own Disney Channel show.
I had not considered that possibility. You can tell I don't have kids.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.