Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Divorce (HBO) -- S: Sarah Jessica Parker, Thomas Hayden Church -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Divorce (HBO) -- S: Sarah Jessica Parker, Thomas Hayden Church -- Series Thread

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CGxlK6yQugY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After more than a decade of marriage and two children, Frances has suddenly begun to reassess her life and her strained relationship with her husband. But she soon discovers that making a clean break and a fresh start is harder than she thought. Serving as an executive producer, Sarah Jessica Parker (Emmy(R) and Golden Globe Award winner for HBO's "Sex and the City") stars as Frances in the comedy series DIVORCE, which begins its ten-episode season SUNDAY, OCT. 9 (10:00-10:30 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO. Thomas Haden Church (Oscar(R) nominee for "Sideways") stars as Robert, Frances' husband, who is struggling to cope with their marriage falling apart. Set in Westchester County, NY, DIVORCE is created by Sharon Horgan ("Catastrophe"), with Paul Simms (HBO's "Girls") serving as a showrunner on the series. Paul Simms, Sarah Jessica Parker, Sharon Horgan, Alison Benson and Aaron Kaplan executive produce. DIVORCE also stars Molly Shannon (Emmy(R) nominee for HBO's "Enlightened" and "Saturday Night Live") as Diane, Frances' high-strung friend, who has a successful husband, a beautiful house and no children; Talia Balsam ("Mad Men") as Dallas, Frances' close friend, who has been both widowed and divorced; Tracy Letts ("Homeland") as Nick, Diane's husband; Sterling Jerins ("World War Z") as Lila, Frances' and Robert's daughter; and Charlie Kilgore ("Moonrise Kingdom") as Tom, their son. The story of a very, very long divorce, the show follows Frances and Robert as they grapple with the fallout from their failing marriage, not just for themselves, but also for their children and friends, ranging from awkward public encounters to difficult private therapy sessions.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Alex Wolff
· Jemaine Clement as Julian
· Molly Shannon as Diane
· Sarah Jessica Parker as Frances
· Sterling Jerins
· Talia Balsam as Dallas
· Thomas Haden Church as Robert
· Tracy Letts

CREW INFORMATION:
· Aaron Kaplan as EP
· Alison Benson as EP
· Jesse Peretz as DIR (Pilot)
· Paul Simms as EP
· Sarah Jessica Parker as EP
· Sharon Horgan as CRTR/EP

GENRE(S):
· comedy (all)
· comedy (single-camera)

STUDIO INFORMATION:
· Kapital Entertainment
· Merman Films
· Pretty Matches Productions

10 episode 1st season

Pilot was released early on demand, through HBO Go and HBO Now

Last edited by dex14; 05-26-19 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Divorce (HBO) - S: Parker, Church - Series Thread - Premieres 10/9/16

I'm torn. I love Thomas Hayden Church, but I despise Sarah Jessica Parker. I don't think I will watch this because of her.

Last edited by Deftones; 10-09-16 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 02:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I'm torn. I love Thomas Hayden Church, but I despite Sarah Jessica Parker. I don't think I will watch this because of her.
I'm totally with you on this. Might record first ep, but trailer didn't look to appealing...
Old 10-09-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Checked it out and enjoyed the half hour. Will definitely be checking out more episodes.
Old 10-10-16, 12:52 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I liked it as well
Old 10-11-16, 12:56 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I thought it was pretty funny. It was almost like it was written as a broad comedy, but directed in a low key, dramatic way. It made the comedy seem more realistically heightened and it really worked for me.
Old 10-12-16, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know this was created by Sharon Horgan who did "Catastrophe" as well.
Old 10-12-16, 10:00 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I thought it was pretty good. Molly Shannon's husband was pretty much a loser. His toast to her at the birthday dinner. Also, good to see Jemaine again.
Old 10-19-16, 03:11 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Watched both eps last night - really liked it. Not such a real uplifting show, but enjoyed it.
Great acting from Lowell from Wings!
Old 10-22-16, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

THC pretty much owns this shit. Damn, the man's delivery is perfection.

I love the bit about the "gang bang".

I don't know what it is about SJP, but I can't stop staring at her face. It's like Rocky Dennis and the Cowardly Lion had a baby.
Old 11-02-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

This show is great.

"Bonjour, asshole!"
Old 11-15-16, 09:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I've been catching up on this, still have last Sunday's to watch, but the people who won't watch because of SJP are missing some great stuff from Thomas Haden Church.

The scene with his lawyer, his accountant, and him having a meeting in the car was hilarious
Old 11-16-16, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Yeah, Church is great in this.
Old 11-16-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if this will do well enough to get another season. I'm not sure how much longer you can go with the premise. I'd be fine with it being a one and done season as long as it doesn't end with them getting back together and being happy.
Old 11-16-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I wonder if this will do well enough to get another season. I'm not sure how much longer you can go with the premise. I'd be fine with it being a one and done season as long as it doesn't end with them getting back together and being happy.
It got renewed along with Westworld a few days ago: http://deadline.com/2016/11/westworl...bo-1201853994/
Old 11-16-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
It got renewed along with Westworld a few days ago: http://deadline.com/2016/11/westworl...bo-1201853994/
Thanks I missed that - I don't read stickies!
Old 12-12-16, 06:44 PM

Anyone still watching? Season finale was last night. I enjoyed the season, moreso than I had expected to.
That was some stone cold shit that Church's character pulled in the finale.
Old 12-13-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Anyone still watching? Season finale was last night. I enjoyed the season, moreso than I had expected to.
That was some stone cold shit that Church's character pulled in the finale.
Yeah, but he was kinda spurred on by 1) getting served in front of everyone at that gym while he's coaching his kid, and 2) freezing his assets while he's on the brink of one of the biggest business ventures of his life
Considering that, I think he was pretty well-measured. I think she got off easy, comparatively.
Old 12-14-16, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, but he was kinda spurred on by 1) getting served in front of everyone at that gym while he's coaching his kid, and 2) freezing his assets while he's on the brink of one of the biggest business ventures of his life
Considering that, I think he was pretty well-measured. I think she got off easy, comparatively.
Very true. I don't blame him a bit after that shit at the basketball game.
Old 12-14-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing Frances didn't specifically tell them to serve him at the game. Her lawyer probably had someone look into his activities and decided on the best time to corner him.

I really thought Robert was going to fuck shit up at her gallery opening so that scene took me by surprise at first. I like the writing - it rings true to me.
Old 12-14-16, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I'm guessing Frances didn't specifically tell them to serve him at the game. Her lawyer probably had someone look into his activities and decided on the best time to corner him.
Frances didn't. They address this on the show in a conversation between her and her lawyer. Not to mention Frances telling Robert that she didn't know they were going to do that.
Old 12-14-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

But she did OK the freezing of his assets, which was a bigger deal to him than the public serving.
Old 12-15-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Finished watching this. I liked it.

THC is great. His character is an idiot, but also smart. He's a dreamer and a realist at the same time. Many times I'm ready for him to say/do something specific - but then he surprised me by saying/doing something else. I like that they gave him some depth and nuances to his personality. Not a one-dimensional character.

I'm not a fan of SJP, and her inclusion held me back from watching at first. But she's passable in this and doesn't take away from the show. I'd still prefer it was someone else playing her character, but I can live with it.
Old 01-13-18, 09:35 PM

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IqfdNgZ0o-0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the aftermath of their explosive separation, Frances (Sarah Jessica Parker) and Robert (Thomas Haden Church) are learning to rebuild their lives independently, even as they stay entangled through their kids and mutual friends. Focusing on careers, new relationships and finding ways to be happy again, they learn that pursuing the next chapter will be more complicated than they imagined. Starring Sarah Jessica Parker (Emmy(R) and Golden Globe winner for HBO's "Sex and the City"), who also serves as an executive producer, DIVORCE returns for its eight-episode second season SUNDAY, JAN. 14 (10:00-10:30 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO. Thomas Haden Church (Emmy(R) winner and Golden Globe nominee for "Broken Trail," Oscar(R) nominee for "Sideways") also stars in addition to serving as a producer on the series. DIVORCE also features Molly Shannon (Emmy(R) nominee for HBO's "Enlightened" and "Saturday Night Live") as Diane, Frances' over-eager friend, whose investment in Frances' new gallery tests their friendship, even as Diane adjusts to a new normal at home with her husband, Nick (Tracy Letts). Talia Balsam ("Mad Men") plays Dallas, Frances' close friend, a divorced psychologist who is determined to extricate herself from a secret affair with Tony (Dean Winters), Robert's divorce attorney. Sterling Jerins ("World War Z") plays Lila, Frances and Robert's complicated teenage daughter, and Charlie Kilgore ("Moonrise Kingdom") is Tom, their 16-year-old son. Also appearing this season are Becki Newton ("How I Met Your Mother") as Jackie Giannopolis, Robert's new sparkplug of a girlfriend, Steven Pasquale ("The Good Wife") as Andrew Wallace, Diane's friend, who will get involved with Frances, and Amy Sedaris ("Strangers with Candy") as Robert's off-kilter sister, Cathy.

Last edited by dex14; 05-26-19 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
re: Divorce (HBO) -- S: Sarah Jessica Parker, Thomas Hayden Church -- Series Thread

Cool shit. I enjoyed the first season and thought it was canceled.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.