Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solace (2016) -- S: Anthony Hopkins, Colin Farrell, Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-06-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

solace-xlarge
free image host

International Trailer:

http://deadline.com/2016/10/solace-g...an-1201831937/

EXCLUSIVE: Lionsgate’s Grindstone Entertainment has acquired the U.S. rights for Solace, the Afonso Poyart-directed psychological thriller that stars Westworld‘s Anthony Hopkins, The Walking Dead‘s Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Abbie Cornish and Colin Farrell. Lionsgate Premiere will release the film in theaters and on demand on December 16, 2016. The film has already generated $24 million in international box office but it was stalled in the U.S., one of several hobbled by the bankruptcy woes of Relativity. Morgan plays FBI Special Agent Joe Merriwether. Unable to solve a series of homicides, he decides to enlist the help of his former colleague Dr. John Clancy (Hopkins), a retired physician with psychic powers. The reclusive Clancy, who shuttered his practice and retreated from the world following the death of his daughter and subsequent break-up of his marriage, wants nothing to do with the case. He soon changes his mind after seeing disturbingly violent visions of Joe’s partner, FBI Special Agent Katherine Cowles’s (Cornish) ultimate demise. When Clancy’s exceptional intuitive powers put him on the trail of a suspect, Charles Ambrose (Farrell), the doctor soon realizes his abilities are no match against the extraordinary powers of this vicious murderer on a mission.

This movie was apparently filmed 3 years ago and was only released internationally until now.
Old 10-06-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Solace (2016) -- S: Anthony Hopkins, Colin Farrell, Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Wouldn't surprise me if it's a really limited release and get a quick release on DVD/BD by Lionsgate Premiere.
Old 10-06-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Wouldn't surprise me if it's a really limited release and get a quick release on DVD/BD by Lionsgate Premiere.
Yeah this is practically a lock to be on DVD/BD by late December or early January. I like the cast, so I'll probably rent it.

Just amazing how Lionsgate Premiere/Grindstone manages to get this actually decent actors to star in these low budget Indie action/suspense movies. I know Bruce Willis seems to be a regular on this label.
Old 11-10-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk God

U.S. Trailer:

The plot: When FBI Special Agent Joe Merriwether (Morgan) is unable to solve a series of homicides, he decides to enlist the help of his former colleague Dr. John Clancy (Hopkins), a retired physician with psychic powers. The reclusive Clancy, who wants nothing to do with the case, changes his mind after seeing disturbingly violent visions of the ultimate demise of Joe’s partner, FBI Special Agent Katherine Cowles (Cornish). When Clancy’s exceptional intuitive powers put him on the trail of a suspect, Charles Ambrose (Farrell), the doctor soon realizes his abilities are no match against the extraordinary powers of this vicious murderer on a mission.

Solace was produced by Beau Flynn, Thomas Augsberger, Tripp Vinson, Matthias Emcke, and Claudia Bluemhuber. Executive producers are Bailey, Jacob Pechenik, Gerd Schepers, and Anthony Hopkins.

The film has already grossed $22M internationally but it was stalled in the U.S., one of several caught in the bankruptcy woes of Relativity. Lionsgate’s Grindstone Entertainment recently picked up U.S. distribution rights and Lionsgate Premiere will release the film in theaters and on demand December 16.
Old 11-10-16, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be iffy. Could be fun to see.
Old 11-10-16, 06:41 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

The script was originally bought a while back to be turned into a sequel to Seven.
Old 11-10-16, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

... I can kind of see that now.
Old 11-10-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I got this today. I'll let you know if it sucks or not.
Old 11-11-16, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk God

The U.S. trailer is very similar to the International trailer.

Looks like it could be a decent 1-time watch B thriller. Morgan and Hopkins are my main draws to it.
Old 11-11-16, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Just finished watching it and t was ok. Nothing special but I did like Hopkins, Dean Morgan, and Colin Farrell. The one thing I didn't like about the film was Abbie Cornish. As much as I want to bang her, she was woefully miscast as the "tough as nails" female cope, with something prove. It took me right out. There are several stylistic touches that I really like and Hopkins' character reminded me a bit of Frank Black in Millennium. It's worth a rental but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it at the theater. You can get it on BD from Amazon UK, as well.
Old 12-18-16, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk God

I rented this from XBox video today and watched it.

It was a decent B suspense thriller. Hopkins was 100% the lead of the movie and I agree with Blu his character reminded me a lot of Frank Black. His character's psychic abilities plays a big part of the movie.

And I agree while Abbie Cornish is hot, she is so miscast in this movie. Not even remotely believable as a badass FBI agent. Thought her acting was very flat. Even though she's too old, someone like Jennifer Beals would have been more believable.

One issue I had with Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character:

Spoiler:
Was how abrupt he was written out. He was shot during a raid on a suspect's apartment, And then while at the hospital he all of the sudden reveals he has stage 4 cancer to Hopkins after surgery. Next scene, he's dead and we're at his funeral. I felt like that whole sequence was constructed poorly. The cancer thing was mentioned later by Colin Farrell's character because had he died from cancer, the wife wouldn't have gotten any FBI death benefits.

I wouldn't re-watch this again or purchase the BD, but I was entertained. Only watch if you're a fan of Hopkins or JDM.
Old 05-06-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI

If you're an Amazon Prime member, you can rent this movie this weekend for only 99 cents.
Old 05-07-17, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Watched this today. It wasn't bad. Not worth a purchase, but a decent rental. Not too much padding and moved at a brisk pace. I would have liked if Farrell's character was in it a little more. I thought him and Hopkins did well together.
Old 05-27-17, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I had seen this a couple months back and actually enjoyed, but mostly for the cast, namely Hopkins, Morgan and Farrell.
Old 06-19-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Just watched this. I thought it was actually very well done, and came together quite well in the end. Glad I saw this it was a decent film.