Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Southbound" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 27

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Southbound (2015)

Selected by Gobear

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

AMAZON PRIME VIDEO

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2016 DISCUSSION | 2016 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 11-05-16 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-08-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Southbound" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 27

I like the premise if a hellacious destination that lures people in but many stories feel too random, played for a quick gag without much coherence. Many of the 'twists' dont deviate enough from the unbelievable whole that they jist feel pedestrian because the movie is so relentlessly 'strange' without much development or reprieve. I had been wanting to see Southbound but ultimately found it a little disappointing. Mean unlikeable things happening to mean unlikeable people.

My favorite segment was the one with Danny trying to find his sister. The sister was so dismissive that it worked.

Now the "dont let the party end" song is stuck in my head...

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-08-16 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I thought this was OK but agree with much of what Undeadcow said.

It did feel really random, even if they tried to sort of connect things. I understand why they ordered the stories the way they did, to give you the surprise when you see who the perpetrators are in the last story, but at the same time, it meant that you had zero background on these guys and are given nothing to care about in the first story of the movie. While you would miss the little reveal later in the film, I think it might have been more effective in the long run if the stories were ordered differently.
Old 10-27-16, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This movie felt like Twilight Zone episodes, but Twilight Zone stories usually have a pretty evident conclusion. Southbound has open ended conclusions to the stories, which leads to the possibility of a hundred different interpretations of what happened and why. Each story felt like it was cut right before an exciting scene, which never came. Not enough information was provided, so your imagination runs wild thinking why certain events happened. This sometimes could be good for a well made movie, but it was just annoying end result of Southbound. The statement this movie made is similar to ripping out the last pages of a novel and saying figure it out yourself and make up your own conclusion.
Old 10-27-16, 09:10 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

the loose ends had me thinking and i liked that about this film. I think inserting the creatures reduced the seriousness of the film for me.
Old 10-28-16, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ross_r
This movie felt like Twilight Zone episodes, but Twilight Zone stories usually have a pretty evident conclusion. Southbound has open ended conclusions to the stories, which leads to the possibility of a hundred different interpretations of what happened and why. Each story felt like it was cut right before an exciting scene, which never came. Not enough information was provided, so your imagination runs wild thinking why certain events happened. This sometimes could be good for a well made movie, but it was just annoying end result of Southbound. The statement this movie made is similar to ripping out the last pages of a novel and saying figure it out yourself and make up your own conclusion.
I thought my attention had been diverted on the first two segments, and had to rewind to see what I had missed. This was really quite jarring for me as well.
Old 10-28-16, 11:12 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm really not one for horror anthologies, but I liked this one a lot. The consistency of the tone and the open-endedness of a lot of the segments worked for me.

I do agree that the movie could have done without the creatures. The humans were scary enough.
Old 10-28-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by ross_r
I agree with all of this. I was thinking Twilight Zone or even Twin Peaks but the lack of cohesion between the stories made you care less as a viewer. Sometimes it is interesting as a viewer to not know what is going on and draw your own conclusions but not for the entire picture and for every single story. Give me at least a little something to latch on to.

My favorite segment was the guy hitting the teen and then taking her to the deserted hospital. The situation was nightmarish and the execution of the story was brutal. I wanted to gag a few times watching it. It was also maddening listening to those damn 911 operators. I wanted to choke all of them.

I liked the film enough but I just would have liked a little more cohesion. And I agree with the others that said that the creatures were unnecessary to the stories. Wonder if there will be a sequel?
Old 10-29-16, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I enjoyed about half of this one--I really loved the vibe that the story about the girls was giving off, especially once they got to the house. I agree with those above who said that it stopped just as it was headed toward some sort of payoff, but I thought that the way that it tied into the next story was pretty cool.

The hospital story was super-tough to watch--this was my second viewing, and it was tougher to watch the second time than it was the first. That scenario would be WAY up on the list of things that I wouldn't want to happen to me; I simply can't imagine having to cut open someone's abdomen and reach in.

And that knee wound is just about the grossest thing that I've ever seen. The sound effects guys get mad props for upping the ick factor of that effect.
Old 10-31-16, 02:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
the loose ends had me thinking and i liked that about this film. I think inserting the creatures reduced the seriousness of the film for me.
This.