Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Curse of the Werewolf" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 22

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Curse of the Werewolf (1961)

Selected by Doc Moonlight

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR

Recently released on Blu-ray as part of the "Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection" from Universal.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2016 DISCUSSION | 2016 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 11-05-16 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-12-16, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "The Curse of the Werewolf" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 22

First time viewing here. The story structure is odd starting with an extended 25+ minute backstory, granted it has some nice pageantry with the sleazy marques. The amount of background detail about... how the beggar was imprisoned, that the girl was mute, that her dad was the jailer, etc is odd. Without awkward coincidence this backstory would be nothing; the girl is 'randomly' found by kind strangers plus the baby happens to be born on Xmas. [It all makes sense, of course, she was raped by a beggar so the child must be a werewolf] The set design and atmosphere are good and there is an 'epic' feel to things given the multigenerational explanation of events.

"I did shoot it, I did..." [with a ping pong sized bullet]

Most obvious fake mustache ever...

I like the irony of the villagers looking for a wolf when the culprit is a child; the child werewolf theme is a very smart idea that nicely exaggerated the contrast between monster and man.

Oliver Reed gives a good performance as a sympathetic self aware werewolf and it's a nice twist that he begs for death from an unbelieving system.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-12-16 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-22-16, 03:20 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: "The Curse of the Werewolf" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 22

It may be heresy but i think Oliver Reed's portrayal is even better than Lon Chaney Jr. Lon came first and did a fantastic job, but Oliver Reed was great as well. I will to hell Hammer had made more than one werewolf film.
Old 10-22-16, 04:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Are there any commentaries out there on this one?
Old 10-22-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

The Spanish setting was a nice change of pace for a gothic tale. Oliver Reed delivers a strong performance in his first credited film appearance.
Old 10-23-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I know that I'd seen this one before last night, but I remembered exactly zero about it. Still, I'm not going to count it as an FTV. I like the film; it's got a great setting, some solid actors, an unusual reason for the lycanthropic shenanigans, and Oliver Reed sweating like he's straddling the equator. The werewolf kid was a nice touch (and an oddly-unsettling visual). The leading lady sure is odd-looking, however.
Old 10-23-16, 06:09 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Are there any commentaries out there on this one?
the european blu ray has a bunch of special features but no commentary; however, the interviews and discussions on the bonus disk are extensive. you can see my review of the german steel book here below:

Old 10-23-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw this on it's original release in 1961 (I was 10 years old). It was the first werewolf movie I ever saw and remains one of my favorites. I think Oliver Reed was born to play a werewolf and agree with numbercrunch that his performance is better than Chaney's.
It's interesting that the protagonist does not become a werewolf because he was attacked by another werewolf and the curse that dooms him is not the result of someone seeking revenge, but rather an accident of birth. This sets it apart from many other werewolf and curse movies.
I also really like the look of the werewolf. The first time I revisited it (when the laserdisc came out), I was disappointed that you only get to see the creature for a few minutes, but this time around, I got more involved in the story, and was OK with it.
Old 10-23-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Another interesting take on a classic horror movie character from Hammer. I've come to these films much later in my viewing, so this was a first-time view and an enjoyable one. I'm surprised Hammer didn't make any more of these. I thought seeing the werewolf as a child was one of the best moments, really creepy. And the kid that was cast as a young Reed was pretty spot on.

While I liked Reed's performance, it was a bit much for me. I prefer the presence that Chaney Jr. brought.
Old 10-24-16, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I really didn't care for this one one bit, but I have a bit of bias as I'm a big Chaney Jr. fan. It took way too long to get where it got, and I can see why Hammer never made another werewolf film. There is a good write up in one of the Hammer books I have. It seems the censors had a go at the film regarding a lot of blood and guts and it was trimmed somewhat. Like Trevor, I would like to hear a commentary on this one as I feel I need to revisit it one day.
Old 10-24-16, 09:08 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
the european blu ray has a bunch of special features but no commentary; however, the interviews and discussions on the bonus disk are extensive. you can see my review of the german steel book here below
Thanks crunch!
Old 11-01-16, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I liked this one but didn't feel it was anything special. Reed's performance was fine and I liked the child werewolf story as well though I didn't care for them having no more problems just because the child got love and attention. Since that was the case, why did it suddenly start happening to Reed again? He was getting love and attention from his woman. Was that explained and I missed it?