Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Death Ship" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 15

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Death Ship (1980)

Selected by indiephantom

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

YOUTUBE

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK W/ COMMENTARY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2016 DISCUSSION | 2016 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 11-05-16 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-15-16, 04:57 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: "Death Ship" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 15

I'm a big fan of haunted/deserted ship movies. I can watch movies like Ghost Ship, Virus, Deep Rising and Event Horizon over and over.

But for some reason, this movie does nothing for me. It has the look, feel and cast of a 70's made-for-TV flick.
Old 10-15-16, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I had fun with this. The blood shower was a big highlight and if this movie was remade today, a ghost would have done something about that kid's bladder problem.
Old 10-15-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Parts of Death Ship seemed unintentionally funny to me this go round - the first part of the ship where the stairs collapse, etc where an inanimate object is seemingly trying to kill seems so outlandish and the menace here is largely subtle/implied. George Kennedy might be the least eerie possession victim ever.

The sound cues used here are effective - waves crashing against the ship, a lifeboard pulley falling, etc even if some of the random machinery shots seem odd. I'm also a fan of abandoned ship movies (Ghost Ship is a guilty pleasure of mine and Event Horizon is a classic).

The Scorpion Releasing blu-ray's sound mix is off with sound effects and music blasting but voices being more muted, which is annoying.

The blood shower was lurid and well done. That and the ghastly face ship poster are the best aspects of this movie.
Old 10-16-16, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This was my subset pick and first-time viewing.

Not nearly as creepy as The Ghost Galleon or as entertaining as the more recent Ghost Ship, but that ship is an effective and menacing set-piece particularly in its early daylight scenes when it appears to the stranded passengers and crew.

Agree with Undeadcow, the usually cool George Kennedy is pretty laughable here and does not feign possession well, nor is he ever credible as a menacing presence.

That blood shower is great, though, and I doubt they wasted much of the footage.
Old 10-16-16, 06:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ Yep, I was expecting more from Kennedy.
Old 10-16-16, 07:46 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

i like george kennedy but this one was a bit of a clunker
Old 10-16-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

This one's awful. However, I brought a little of the VHS-era back to life last night by watching a DVD-R that I had made from my old Embassy tape. Full-screen, blurry resolution, a few brief moments where the tracking went a little screwy, the old blue-and-white Embassy Home Entertainment logo...it was, movie notwithstanding, a little slice of heaven.

Old 10-16-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Me at work. This is my ship, and everything is fine.
Old 10-16-16, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Great atmosphere. No payoff. It's the equivalent of a haunted house film minus the ghosts. Still, not unwatchable.

And for whatever reason I've always envisioned Wilford Brimley in this role. He would've put some effort into being possessed.
Old 10-18-16, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Death Ship (1980)

When a cruise ship crashes, the surviving passengers find safe haven in a creepy ghost ship. I'm not sure why, but I really liked this one. Maybe because I recently watched the terrible Bermuda Triangle (1978) and it set my bar low for lost at sea horror films. George Kennedy seems like he didn't want to be in this movie, and he literally sleeps through the first hour of it. Otherwise, the film has everything you could want from a ghost ship movie, even throwing in Nazis for good measure.

Something about abandoned ships scare me and being lost at sea would really freak me out. The exterior shots of the ship are pretty cool, and the shots of the inside of the ship are creepy. It's pretty slow moving, but for me I just enjoyed the setting. There's a spectacular scene involving a shower of blood, but the driving story of George Kennedy's possession is confusing and forced. Still, being aboard the Death Ship seems better than some of the recent Carnival Cruises.
Old 10-19-16, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I grew up watching George Kennedy in comedic roles, so I was looking forward to his turn in horror. It really didn't work for me. I felt the movie was a good idea, which had gone not so good.
Old 10-23-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

I thought this was just okay. As another poster said, it played like a TV Movie of the Week at the time with the exception of the blood shower. Nice bit of nudity there and you could see why anyone would get panicked in that situation. Just getting stuck in that little shower without the blood would have been enough to freak me out.

I kept getting a Bioshock vibe the whole time while watching this (that's a video game series in case some of you don't know). I kept waiting to hear a loud, long creepy moan and then see a Big Daddy show up. The old music, movie reels, photos, and obviously the "water" atmosphere was likely the culprit.

Just okay. Not good but not terrible. Definitely watchable and could possibly get better with more viewings. It was kinda funny that George Kennedy basically slept the thru the entire first half of the movie as someone else had mentioned. Nothing like picking up a paycheck...do what you gotta do.
Old 10-31-16, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

The made for TV comparison is pretty apt, and I'll echo everyone else's disappointment with George Kennedy. Still, it was watchable enough and had a couple of good parts, the shower as mentioned, but ultimately it was a bit of a let down.