MacGyver (CBS) -- S: Lucas Till, George Eads -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
MacGyver (CBS) -- S: Lucas Till, George Eads -- Series Thread

MacGyver
image hosting adult

ANGUS "MAC" MACGYVER AND JACK DALTON, SPECIAL AGENTS FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF EXTERNAL SERVICES, JOIN FORCES TO RECOVER A MISSING BIOWEAPON, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF THE NEW DRAMA "MACGYVER," FRIDAY, SEPT. 23

Lucas Till, George Eads, Sandrine Holt, Justin Hires and Tristin Mays Star in the Reimagining of the Classic Television Series

"The Rising" - Angus "Mac" MacGyver (Lucas Till)
and Jack Dalton (George Eads), special agents for the Department of External Services (DXS), join forces to recover a missing bioweapon that has the ability to destroy hundreds of thousands of people with one single drop, on the series premiere of the new drama MACGYVER, Friday, Sept. 23 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network. Lucas Till, George Eads, Sandrine Holt, Justin Hires and Tristin Mays star.

MACGYVER, a reimagining of the classic series, is an action-adventure drama about 20-something Angus "Mac" MacGyver, who creates the Department of External Services (DXS)
, a clandestine organization within the U.S. government where he uses his extraordinary talent for unconventional problem-solving and vast scientific knowledge to save lives. Joining his team on high-risk missions around the globe is maverick former CIA agent Jack Dalton; Patricia Thornton, an ex-field agent turned director of operations; and Riley Davis, an unpredictable computer hacker with a chip on her shoulder. At home, MacGyver is entertained by his ambitious roommate, Wilt Bozer. Under the aegis of the Department of External Services, MacGyver takes on the responsibility of saving the world, armed to the teeth with resourcefulness and little more than bubble gum and a paper clip.

REGULAR CAST:

Lucas Till (Angus "Mac" MacGyver)
George Eads (Jack Dalton)
Sandrine Holt (Patricia Thornton)
Justin Hires (Wilt Bozer)
Tristin Mays (Riley Davis)
RECURRING CAST:

Tracy Spiridakos (Nikki Carpenter)
GUEST CAST:

Vinnie Jones (John Kendrick)
Cory Scott Allen (Vincent the Director)
India Batson (Tiffany)
Alessandro Folchitto (Doorman)
Elizabeth Tavares (Lead Tech/Dying)
Kenneth Israel (Pilot)
Michael E. Sanders (Co-Pilot)
Craig Newman (Lead Tech DXS)
Don Dipetta (Armed Guard)

WRITTEN BY: Peter M. Lenkov, one of the series' executive producers

DIRECTED BY: James Wan, one of the series' executive producers

This is from Peter Lenkov, the EP and showrunner of Hawaii Five-O.

As previously reported, the original Pilot was completely re-shot & most of the supporting actors recast with James Wan directing.

Old 09-23-16, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: MacGyver (CBS) -- S: Lucas Till, George Eads -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/23

Could be fun, but my gut tells me they've badly cast the wrong lead role in this one.
Old 09-23-16, 07:53 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: MacGyver (CBS) -- S: Lucas Till, George Eads -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/23

at that poster.
Old 09-23-16, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I've never watched the original series. I know the character, of course, but is this the same premise as the original, -was he the main cog in a group of characters working for some government agency?
Old 09-23-16, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first season he worked for a government agency, but for the vast majority of the show's run he worked for the Phoenix Foundation, a private company that contracted with various governments in addition to their own work. The Foundation was a jack of all trades 'non-profit' that did: sensitive spy missions in foreign countries, diplomatic negotiations, medical research, environmental protection, social programs for poor kids, basically whatever the plot required. Mac was basically treated like an independent contractor. He had a few recurring characters he would occasionally work with, but he was mostly on his own.

Last edited by wmansir; 09-23-16 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-23-16, 08:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
at that poster.

This is just MacGruber without Will Arnett. Or that would be even better, if they bring in Will Arnett as MacGruber who's his half brother. Then I'll see this. Anything less than that and I'm out. Because this show looks really bad.
Old 09-23-16, 08:33 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
This is just MacGruber without Will Arnett. Or that would be even better, if they bring in Will Arnett as MacGruber who's his half brother. Then I'll see this. Anything less than that and I'm out. Because this show looks really bad.
Will Forte?

Maybe they'll reenact the graveyard sex scene.
Old 09-23-16, 01:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Will Forte?
They all look the same.

(runs for cover)
Old 09-24-16, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was pretty bad.
I think in a warped way MacGruber being so damn funny (to me at least) sort of ruined any chance for this show. The main lead plays the character as kind of an arrogant dbag where as Richard Dean Anderson is just a likable guy on the first show.

all of his little stunts are explained way too much, I guess that is what they feel a modern audience wants. Yet part of the charm of the first MacGyver was trying to figure out what he was looking to do with the random crap he found.

Maybe it was just a bad pilot and the show switches tone in later eps. Still, if last season's "The Player" could not make it with pure action I don't see how this show can while putting plaster wall scrapings on a hand scanner.
Old 09-24-16, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Reminds me of Scorpion meets CSI Cyber, with some "Under The Dome" style silliness. Albeit the silliness appearing to be intentional in MacGyver's thoughts.
Old 09-24-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Haven't watched yet but in the clips I've seen the guy playing MacGyver seems a bit douchey and a bit too pretty boy.
Old 09-24-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at that poster.
Dear god they DID make MacGruber
Old 09-24-16, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

So all you gotta do is scrape a little plaster dust on it & a fingerprint reader will magically work. Why has no one though of this before!
Old 09-24-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W
So all you gotta do is scrape a little plaster dust on it & a fingerprint reader will magically work. Why has no one though of this before!
In the age of google, this is one of the reasons a show like this wont work. When your audience can type a question into their phones and learn that you in fact can not make a bomb out of tampons and powdered Jello.
Old 09-24-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Yes it was silly and over the top, but I thought it was really fun escapism entertainment just like Hawaii Five-O most of the time. I enjoy watching mission of the week action shows like this. I never watched the original show regularly with RDA, but this incarnation has the vibe of Mission: Impossible, Leverage and Scorpion mixed together with a little techno babble. Seems like the perfect show for Friday night on CBS.

A lot of green screen and big stunts. I don't expect future weeks to have as much of a budget.

The previews made Mac seem kind of douchey & arrogant, but he wasn't that bad. I liked Eads from CSI and he seemed to fit in well here as his partner.

at the climatic sequence with the airplane and him disabling it when in the air and hanging from the landing gear.

Not surprised about Nikki's big escape in the end. I'm sure she will be popping up every now and then.

The original that was shot must have been pretty terrible if they decided to scrap it entirely and shoot a new one. Hence, they recruited the EP of Hawaii Five-O to make it silly escapism entertainment.

One big cliche that we've seen countless times in other shows is Mac keeping all this a secret from his best buddy. How long before the cat comes out of the bag? Midseason?

Last edited by DJariya; 09-24-16 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Bring back Limitless, please. CBS killed Limitless for this series.

This is a mindless action vehicle for Millennials. Expect it to get a full season, ratings were fantastic for the premiere.

This is definitely not written with Macgyver's original audience in mind. They are begging Richard Dean Anderson to make an appearance. On its own, this new iteration is harmless fluff.

http://www.macgyveronline.com/
Old 09-24-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

This is a mindless action vehicle for Millennials. Expect it to get a full season, ratings were fantastic for the premiere.

This is definitely not written with Macgyver's original audience in mind. They are begging Richard Dean Anderson to make an appearance. On its own, this new iteration is harmless fluff.

http://www.macgyveronline.com/
That's what I'm saying too. For anyone who prefers a deep thought-provoking series that will challenge your intellect, this is not for you. This is like I said Friday fluff escapism entertainment. Nothing to over-think.
Old 09-25-16, 12:45 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

The first episode is FREE on Vudu. And if you liked it, the Season Pass is only $14.99. I'm sure that price will jump up soon.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content...Gyver-Season-1
Old 09-25-16, 01:16 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I wasn't impressed by the show. It reminds me a lot of Scorpion, which I dropped halfway through the first season. I'm willing to suspend disbelief for popcorn movies/shows. But this is just too ridiculous.
Old 09-25-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

That is a good call on Scorpion. I think CBS has decided they will pioneer lightweight, action-adventure procedurals. I wonder if we ever see a show like Person of Interest again on CBS?
Old 09-25-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I didn't know that. Crap! I loved Limitless. That was one of the better shows in recent years. I thought it was coming back for sure.
Old 09-25-16, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I wasn't impressed by the show. It reminds me a lot of Scorpion, which I dropped halfway through the first season. I'm willing to suspend disbelief for popcorn movies/shows. But this is just too ridiculous.
At least in Scorpion the cast was likeable even Walter in season 1. As of the pilot, none of the carry over characters (Mac, female Pete, and Jack) are really likeable. The new hacker girl is the only one. I'm waiting on who they cast as Penny and Murdock.
Old 09-25-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We will probably not watch the next episode. There are too many other more interesting shows on this season. Very disappointing considering than James Wan is involved...
Old 09-25-16, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I didn't know that. Crap! I loved Limitless. That was one of the better shows in recent years. I thought it was coming back for sure.
It's amazing that anything good came out of CBS. It would be a miracle if it lasted longer than one season.
Old 09-25-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Yeah, such a shame and surprising another network didn't pick it up (seems like it'd fit in on USA). Who knows, maybe a miracle will happen like it did with Unforgettable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.