Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Supernatural worth the time commitment?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I keep seeing a friend on Facebook rave about Supernatural. I figured the show was over but it's still going strong (11 seasons!)

It looks like my kind of show I would like but is it worth watching all 11 seasons? Is there a point where I should stop watching? Any fans of the show here?
Old 09-17-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Is Supernatural worth the time commitment?

Padalecki and Ackles said recently they're hoping the show reaches 300 episodes, which would make it go into season 14.

Yes, it's a massive time commitment. I've been a fan since day 1, but I can see the large amount of episodes being extremely intimidating for someone who hasn't seen it yet.

I don't really remember that far back, but IIRC season 1 was more monster of the week, then seasons 2-5 went into heavy mythology. Creator of the show left after season 5. Then the show goes into more self-contained season arcs. Some worked, some didn't. And some had cliffhangers. There really isn't a true good stopping point, unless you bail after season 5, which is when the creator left. But there are still lingering unresolved storylines that take you into season 6 onwards.

I know there are many here who dropped out at certain points in it's run because they thought it became tedious to keep up with. I think only a very small handful here including me have watched every since episode since 2005.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-17-16 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-17-16, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely worth trying. You can always stop if you tire of it, but I'd say give it at least a Season. The first 5 Seasons tell a story, and after that is a good breaking point for some. There's some good stuff that happens after, but if you watch the first 5 Seasons then that'll definitely give you a feel for how interested you might be in continuing.
Old 09-17-16, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, yes, yes!!!

As with others, I have been going with it since day one. Watched the premiere the night it aired.

This show has a *MASSIVE* cult following for a good reason. I mean, people live or die for this show - clothing/references/etc

But the one downside - you *really* do have to watch the show from the begining until now - I can't imagine coming into it like by starting with season ten, say. It presents one epic story, told over hundreds of episodes now. If you enjoy such a genre, you will love Supernatural - I honestly can't imagine how you've missed it this long if that's your sort of "thing".

Season 11 presented a plot unlike any other. The whole religious aspect of it? Nothing like that has ever been done in fiction to my knowledge. I could watch Amara killing those religious folks a million times and never get tired of it. Just so amazing, at least as far as my tastes go. (Edit to add:
you tell me, is that not crazily exceptional? God I love that scene/clip)

Try it, and you won't regret it. Supernatural is a cult fave show unlike any other, and unlike anything you'll have ever seen. If I could only erase my memory and start it all over again... I suspect if you try it, a (crazy lengthy) binge watch is in your immediate future.

Last edited by Coladar1; 09-17-16 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-17-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coladar1
Yes, yes, yes!!!

As with others, I have been going with it since day one. Watched the premiere the night it aired.

This show has a *MASSIVE* cult following for a good reason. I mean, people live or die for this show - clothing/references/etc

But the one downside - you *really* do have to watch the show from the begining until now - I can't imagine coming into it like by starting with season ten, say. It presents one epic story, told over hundreds of episodes now. If you enjoy such a genre, you will love Supernatural - I honestly can't imagine how you've missed it this long if that's your sort of "thing".

Season 11 presented a plot unlike any other. The whole religious aspect of it? Nothing like that has ever been done in fiction to my knowledge. I could watch Amara killing those religious folks a million times and never get tired of it. Just so amazing, at least as far as my tastes go. (Edit to add: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVMwoV7DfKc you tell me, is that not crazily exceptional? God I love that scene/clip)

Try it, and you won't regret it. Supernatural is a cult fave show unlike any other, and unlike anything you'll have ever seen. If I could only erase my memory and start it all over again... I suspect if you try it, a (crazy lengthy) binge watch is in your immediate future.
My favorite shows are Buffy and Angel so I think I'll like Supernatural. Is it similar to Buffy or Angel?
Old 09-17-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I loved the show in the very beginning season 1-2 are excellent in terms of monster of the week horror type of episodes. Also I have the blurays season 1-6 and haven't had the time yet to continue with the show. I have one question for those that have continued watching. I loved season one and two because it always felt dark and atmospheric and it helped create some great tv along the same line as The X-files, once season 3 started it felt the way the show was shot it got lighter, brighter and didn't feel right for the show. Season 4 and 5 got some of that look back, but was wondering about it in more current seasons.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 09-17-16 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-17-16, 03:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Overall a really fun and enjoyable yet mindless ride.
Old 09-17-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Seasons 1-2 are the best, and it finishes off the story started from the beginning.

Season 3 was kind of drag, but it picked back up in Seasons 4 and 5 for the most part.

Seasons 1-5 though were the creators intent. After that the Network kept it going to cash in on the fandom.

If you want to invest in a long show, go ahead. Supernatural is worth it for the most part. But if you're on the fence, watch the first two seasons. If you really enjoy it, watch till the end of Season 5. If you just can't stop yourself at that point, then continue. Otherwise, you're not gonna really miss out on anything if you choose to just stop at the end of Season 5 as the original creator Eric Kripke wanted the story to end there.

Consider everything after Season 5 to pretty much just be filler to milk the fandom.
Old 09-17-16, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Watch through the end of season five. You'll want to keep watching but the show stumbles around with a lot of filler for several seasons, after the show's main arc ends at season five's finale.

You could probably get away with watching highly rated, select episodes from the latter seasons. The show eventually becomes very repetitive and kills off virtually every major character aside from the two brothers.
Old 09-18-16, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Watch through the end of season five. You'll want to keep watching but the show stumbles around with a lot of filler for several seasons, after the show's main arc ends at season five's finale.

You could probably get away with watching highly rated, select episodes from the latter seasons. The show eventually becomes very repetitive and .
Err... if this poster is contemplating watching the show, I'd put what I deleted in spoilers. Really.

As far as the original posters reply goes, about Buffy and Angel? Well... Whedon is Whedon - something all his own. I'd call the early seasons closer to a mix between X-Files and Angel (Not so much Buffy.)

When Castiel arrives, and the focus turns to Heaven? And Angels, in Gods absence? And ruling Hell? There isn't anything to compare it with - and yes, those seasons are *relatively* weak - some insanely good standalone episodes, and the seasonal arcs only drag because of how good the early seasons are.

But...! Season 11 redeems all - and makes those early lesser Heaven arcs important to be aware of. I'd call 11 the best arc yet - which says something, because 1+2 were... incredible.

That clip I posted really says it all - I won't spoil with who Amara actually is, though.

God, I just wish Jeffrey Dean Morgan would get off his ass and return to make one appearance - really has soured me on him as an actor/person, as Supernatural literally is responsible for saving his entire career.

But yes, give S1 a shot - I do not believe you will regret it.
Old 09-18-16, 04:13 AM

By the by, part of the shows allure? These two boys/brothers, trying to do good, go from bad to worse. Their fate, we all know, will be terrible indeed - that's just the Winchester's.

They either
Spoiler:
die in the end, facing nullification (meaning no afterlife - too happy of an ending, and they have each died and resurrected so often, they *shouldn't* have a "norrnal" afterlife ala Bobby in a "room" in Heaven), or they ascend in separation - Dean will rule over Hell, while Sammy, the boy with the demon blood, shall rule over heaven. There is no good ending in store for them. If the show goes that way in the Season 69 series finale, where they live alive together merrily without having to Hunt or face down the terrors they've unleashed, it would void the entire series in my mind.
Old 09-18-16, 06:38 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Supernatural has its good episodes and bad episodes just like any other series. I have Seasons 1 - 10, wouldn't trade 'em for anything. I rate Supernatural up there with any of the other sci-fi / horror series I have, glad I have them in my collection. While I'm not falling all over Padalecki and Ackles like some of the show's devotees, Supernatural just wouldn't be the same without them.
Old 09-18-16, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was pleasantly surprised to see seasons 1-10 are on Netflix

Watched the Pilot last night and really liked it. The Brothers seem like they'll be fun characters. I figure If I watch one episode a day every day I'll be caught up by next year
Old 09-18-16, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by kd5
Supernatural has its good episodes and bad episodes just like any other series. I have Seasons 1 - 10, wouldn't trade 'em for anything. I rate Supernatural up there with any of the other sci-fi / horror series I have, glad I have them in my collection. While I'm not falling all over Padalecki and Ackles like some of the show's devotees, Supernatural just wouldn't be the same without them.
While I agree - there are some nutso fans out there? And, before the show started, the idea of Smallvilles jock/Lana's BF leading a series?!? (Didn't watch Gilmore Girls)

I get it. Those two have really done a service to the series and the fanbase. Not many stars would stick around so long - both had burgeoning film careers at one time, yet they stayed on. They have always engaged the fans. More than most any active series has.

They are beyond self-deprecating - Ackles has sung crazily in cut scenes more than once.

Overall, those two are really likeable and have worked hard for this show. The "gaganutso" fans largely seem to be female, though - perhaps the factor saving me from the Supernatural cult fans group worshipping Ackles + Jensen.
Old 09-18-16, 09:15 AM

Btw, I was again watching the Season 1-10 Carry On My Wayward Son video... S11 spoilers

Spoiler:
With Lucifer sprung from the Pit, wtf happened to Adam? I always felt the show failed there - these boys save every innocent they can. I can look past the befriending demons versus slaughtering them in earlier seasons. But Jesus, their half brother? Their own blood?!? And they accept an eternity of torment next to Lucifer as his fate?

But now, Lucifer is freed. Adam being down there serves zero purpose. Considering the lengths they've gone for for each other, they accept his nullification? He better show up in Season 12, with whatever backstory they want.

By the by, it was interesting - in S4, apparently Sam talked to "God" - "God" says, Demon blood? You have to know that's wrong. Sam, "I wish to *God* I could stop".

It just reeemphasizes that Season 11 is not "milk as fan service." It ties *everything* together, stuff that seemingly was laid out in seasons long prior.

Now, that said, I expect the Season 12 arc to suck hard in comparison. But S11 was something special.
Old 09-18-16, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

It soooo many episodes. I watched Season 1 to Season 5-or-so. I was watching almost every day. And then gave up (maybe six months ago). I watched some of Season 11. I want to get around to watching all of them. But there's, like, 200+ on Netflix. Too much.
Old 09-18-16, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
It soooo many episodes. I watched Season 1 to Season 5-or-so. I was watching almost every day. And then gave up (maybe six months ago). I watched some of Season 11. I want to get around to watching all of them. But there's, like, 200+ on Netflix. Too much.
Jeez, this makes me feel old now - considering I was old enough when this started. 22 or so eps a year, and it's up to such an unwieldy amount now. I was rewatching all the Mirror verse episodes of Trek for the 50th anniversary... thinking Enterprise premiered 15 years ago, and it has been over a decade without weekly Trek entertainment - damn I'm getting old.

I'd feel safe skipping 6-8 or 9 if I were you - but I would definitively watch 10, and as I have fiercely maintained in this thread, Season 11 was them at their best.

Plus, there were some excellent episodes in 6-9 as standalones. Look up what people consider the best Supernatural episodes, so you don't miss out on them. I consider any appearance by Bobby or Felicia Day a must see, but that's just me.
Old 09-18-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I'd say stop after season 5 (it has a nice finale/wrap-up to the series that they retconned in season 6). Not that it gets "bad" after that (though it does become very hit & miss), but that the show just gets tired, as they keep treading the same ground over and over again. Like, if you've seen the first 5 seasons, you've pretty much seen the rest.
Old 09-18-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

love the show. I went to a SN convention a few years and will be attending another in January. Got to meet a lot of the actors. I agree with others that it was better in the beginning, but I still enjoy it. The relationship between Sam and Dean is worth the watch alone.
Old 09-18-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DVR the season episodes for the upcoming series. Then start watching the series at least 1 episode per day. You'll get caught up and can watch this season's episodes before next season starts. Not too much to ask.
Old 09-18-16, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
I'd say stop after season 5 (it has a nice finale/wrap-up to the series that they retconned in season 6). Not that it gets "bad" after that (though it does become very hit & miss), but that the show just gets tired, as they keep treading the same ground over and over again. Like, if you've seen the first 5 seasons, you've pretty much seen the rest.
Man... I guess I'm pretty much alone for my hardcore Season 11 love - no one else even gives it a mention.
Old 09-18-16, 05:28 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Don't skip anything. Supernatural is worth it. Don't care that Kripke left after S5, it's such a unique series, it really is worth it. It took us 3 months to watch all 10 seasons, including movie watching nights (we'd watch a movie and an episode or 2, or watch 3-4 episodes in an evening, but we didn't marathon the series).

Don't own S11 yet but we will...
Old 09-18-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

It can't be.

I've never seen an episode of Supernatural, but Buffy is one of the best shows of that genre of all time, and I would even give pause to recommend all 150 eps of Buffy, so recommending 200+ eps of Supernatural seems insane because I know it is not that good.
Old 09-18-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes and no. I mostly enjoy the individual episodes so it's worth it, but if I needed something more from the ongoing story arc then I would have dropped the show after the 5th season.

First couple seasons are nearly all fun, stand alone, monster of the week stuff. The next couple of seasons flesh out the world a bit more. More recurring monsters and characters, building mythology and the "rules" of the universe. Season 5 is the big payoff for all that, not so much because it's the climax of an ongoing storyline but because it starts doing epic stuff for the world that has been established.

After that most seasons just seem a bit by the numbers, stakes get higher, baddies get badder. Last season was the first in a while that did something really cool with mythology of the show.
Old 09-18-16, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
It can't be.

I've never seen an episode of Supernatural, but Buffy is one of the best shows of that genre of all time, and I would even give pause to recommend all 150 eps of Buffy, so recommending 200+ eps of Supernatural seems insane because I know it is not that good.
Sorry, it *is* that good. Seasons 1+2? Omg. That good.

And now you tell me:

Spoiler:
Any show that explores Gods evil sister? Are you kidding me? It has Lillith. Lucifer in a pit. Befriending the demons of Hell itself. Angels as the bad guys, who mostly *all* are killed. Archangels condemned to the pit with Lucifer. Supernatural is a show all it's own. It *is* that good, because there's nothing like it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.